Saiga 12 Adventure

Welcome. Looking good so far. I used some Dremel finishing abrasive buffs on a mandrel to take off the factory finish on the bolt group. They are like a small version of the 3M stripping wheels you would use for removing paint and such in your hand drill but much more forgiving since it doesn't eat metal the same way the big ones do. The coarse wheel (they come in two packs coarse and fine) can smooth the sharp edges so be careful if you try it. I noticed a difference after I did mine and barely smoothed the feed ramp which helped as well. Don't forget to reclean the receiver as those things will shed like a month old Christmas tree.

When a guy with a full dedicated wood shop says he doesn't have a pistol grip yet, so he's going shooting without one, I assume he is pulling my leg.

Also, have you considered upgrading to a beautiful stock like this one?

For sale cheap, recoil pad not included.

HA
I had though about fabing something up but being that I'm a bit of an obsessive woodworker it would take me more time to do that then just order a poly stock. I do have an interest at some point making a wood stock set out of something cool like tiger wood but that will be down the road. At this point I just want to make sure the things works. Going out in about an hour to test drive it....wish me luck.

Well I have to say....I'm a happy camper! I shot low brass target load some medium game loads and some 00 and it ate everything! Ten mags worth and no fails to feed no fails to eject and it ran like a champ! I found a little Craftsman media blaster setup off Craigs list about two miles down the road and went and got it for $25.

I was able to pick up some bead blast material from a friend who works at a body shop. I got frustrated after the stripper was not working and figured this would work. After getting covered in the media the carrier was free of paint. I used a little 600 paper and cleaned things up a a bit. Put a polish wheel on my bench grinder that I use mostly to sharpen chisels and wood tools and went to town on the part. Not done yet but it looks pretty good.

37c021c7-db91-4b07-a8f1-36b0b6fed39b_zps

29abe8cf-86ce-4df1-9d1f-2a9aabdb1707_zps

817433be-fa36-46e0-8acb-ef08aa01117c_zps

Edited by HunterBobby
  • Like 1

lol...it was actually pretty fun....just pull the trigger real fast with a closed fist.....hey there is a first time for everything but I wasn't going to let it stop me from trying it out.

Maybe I need a video if it.....

Edited by HunterBobby

HA

I had though about fabing something up but being that I'm a bit of an obsessive woodworker it would take me more time to do that then just order a poly stock. I do have an interest at some point making a wood stock set out of something cool like tiger wood but that will be down the road. At this point I just want to make sure the things works. Going out in about an hour to test drive it....wish me luck.

You could have bandsawed out something in 3 minutes and shot a drywall screw through the old trigger guard hole and had enough to hang onto for your range trip though. Even to stabilize your hand and resist the temptation to wrap your hand around the area where the bolt handle will bite your thumb.