GUYS,

KNOWING THAT MY LOCAL W-MART HAS THE SIG 556'S IN 5.56, I WAS GOING TO SWING BY THE SPORTING GOODS DEPARTMENT THIS AFTERNOON, WHILE GETTING GROCERIES, TO SEE WHAT THE CHANCES WERE THAT THEY COULD ALSO GET THE SIG 556R.

THE REGULAR, PRETTY DARN KNOWLEDGEABLE GUY, WASN'T THERE, AND THE KID THAT WAS DIDN'T REALLY KNOW GUNS FROM APPLE BUTTER.

I ASKED IF IT WAS POSSIBLE, SINCE THEY WERE ALREADY GETTING THE SIG 556, IN 5.56, WAS IT POSSIBLE TO ALSO GET THE 556R IN 7.62X39.

THE KID GAVE ME THAT TELLTALE BLANK LOOK, AND I KNEW AT THAT POINT I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO GET THIS KID SNAPPED-IN ON THE SIG556R.

I TRIED STARTING OVER, WITH A LITTLE LESS SENSORY OVERLOAD, FOR THE KID, AND HE TURNED TO THE DISPLAY CABINET AND GESTURED IN THE GENERAL DIRECTION OF A KNOT OF AR-TYPES, HUDDLED TOGETHER AT ONE END OF THE RIFLE DISPLAY, AND MUMBLED SOMETHING ABOUT GETTING THIS "AK-THING" IN THIS MORNING.

MY EYES FOLLOWED HIS GESTURE TO THE CLUSTER OF AR-TYPES, ALL OF WHICH HAD 30 ROUND MAGS INSERTED.

ONE OF THEM HAD THE TELLTALE AK CURVE, AND IT STUCK OUT OUT LIKE A PRICK IN A NUNNERY, AMONGST THE OTHERS.

I'M SURE, LIKE A CARTOON CHARACTER, MY EYEBALLS MUST HAVE RUN OUT ON STALKS, ABOUT 6" LONG..................BE-STILL-MY-BEATING-HEART, WAS THIS EXACTLY WHAT I'D COME TO INQUIRE ABOUT?

AS IF HEARING SOMEONE ELSE, FROM A DISTANCE, I HEARD MYSELF QUIETLY SAY "CAN I SEE THAT ONE"?

THE KID RETRIEVED IT AND PLACED IT IN MY ALMOST TREMBLING HANDS.............

THIS WAS IT!

I CHECKED IT OVER, FOLDED AND UNFOLDED THE STOCK, TURNED ON THE RED DOT THAT IT COMES WITH (INCIDENTLY WITH TWO  NIGHT VISION SETTINGS), AIMED IN, TRIGGER LOCK PREVENTED TRYING THE TRIGGER, AND JUST OVERALL GAVE IT A GOOD EYE-FUCKING..........

VERY RELUCTANTLY, I HANDED IT BACK, AND MOVED ON TO THE GROCERY SECTION.

THAT WAS AT ABOUT 1415HRS TODAY.

I CAME HOME, AND I JUST COULDN'T GET THE SIREN-SONG OF THAT 556R OUTA MY HEAD.

I THOUGHT IT OVER, DEBATED AND BARGAINED WITH MYSELF; YES-NO/NO-YES........

FINALLY, NOT ABLE TO STAND IT ANY LONGER, AT 1940HRS., I CALLED THE SPORTING GOODS DEPT, AND SPOKE WITH THE YOUNG LADY THAT USUALLY WORKS EVENINGS.

EARLIER, THE KID THAT WAS THERE DIDN'T KNOW THE PRICE, IT DIDN'T HAVE A TAG ON IT YET, BUT HE'D "HEARD" IT WAS GOING TO BE $1200.

I ASKED THE YOUNG LADY IF IT HAD BEEN PRICED YET, SHE SAID "YES, $1197.00"

I ASKED IF THEY HAD A LAYAWAY PROGRAM, AND IF SO, WHAT WERE THE TERMS.

SHE SAID 10% DOWN, OF THE TOTAL PRICE ($1295.75 WITH TAX) AND IT HAD TO BE OUT OF LAYAWAY BY DECEMBER 13.

I ASKED IF PERIODIC PAYMENTS HAD TO BE PAID, OR COULD YOU JUST COME IN ON DECEMBER 13, FOR EXAMPLE, AND PAY THE BALANCE.

SHE SAID NO PERIODIC PAYMENTS, JUST HAVE IT OUT BY DECEMBER 13.

I ASKED HOW LATE SHE WOULD BE THERE, AND SHE SAID 2200HRS., BUT LAYAWAY CLOSED AT 2100HRS.

I SAID I'D BE RIGHT THERE.

I MOUNTED-UP, AND THE REST IS HISTORY.............

IT COMES WITH ONE TAPCO PLASTIC MAG AND THE AFOREMENTIONED SIG BRAND RED DOT AND A PKG. OF PLASTIC RAIL LENGTHS, PRESUMABLY FOR THE FORE END SO AS TO ATTACH VERTICAL GRIPS, LIGHTS, LASERS, ETC.

THERE APPEARS TO BE SOME KIND OF CHICKENSHIT LITTLE PEEP SIGHT BURIED IN THE TOP RAIL, WHICH FEELS LIKE ALUMINUM. COULDN'T FIGGER HOW TO GET IT TO POP-UP.

I RECALL DARTH MENTIONING SOMETHING ABOUT SOMEONE HAVING SOME HK-TYPE SIGHTS THAT WOULD WORK.

THERE'S A DOVETAIL UP FRONT, WITH A DOVETAIL BLANK IN IT, WHERE PRESUMABLY A FRONT SIGHT OF SOME KIND COULD BE MOUNTED.

I ALSO BROUGHT A MAGNET ALONG TO TEST THE  FRONT MAGAZINE LOCK-IN, TO MAKE SURE IT WAS STEEL; IT WAS.

HERE'S THE TRICKY PART..................WAL-MART, AT LEAST IN MY AREA (SOUTH OF HOUSTON A BIT), CAN'T ORDER AR-TYPE STUFF, THEY JUST HAVE TO TAKE WHATEVER AR-TYPE STUFF THAT SHOWS UP ON THE TRUCK.

YEAH..........

BUT, AS THE YOUNG LADY SAID, NOW THAT WE'VE GOTTEN ONE (556R), AND IT WAS IMMEDIATELY SNATCHED UP, THEY'LL PROBABLY GETTING MORE.

BUT WHEN, IS APPARENTLY THE LUCK OF THE DRAW.

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY; IF YOU LIVE IN AN AREA WHERE WAL-MART CAN ORDER AR-TYPE STUFF, TELL THEM THAT THE 556R IS IN THE WAL-MART SUPPLY SYSTEM, BUT I'M BETTING THE "LUCK OF THE DRAW" APPLIES COMPANY-WIDE.

ANOTHER REASON I HAD TO GET IT; IT WAS LIKE KARMA, OR SERENDIPITY, OR WHAT EVER YOU CALL IT, I WENT IN THERE TO INQUIRE ABOUT IT, AND THERE SAT THE FIRST AND ONLY ONE THEY HAD EVER GOTTEN; IT WAS LIKE....................DESTINY.......

WHATEVER.

SO, HOW'D Y'ALL'S DAY GO?

JESS1344

Congrats!

Look at Samson or Midwest for a front sight if you want standard AR height.  That way you can use any AR height rear sight.  They're a bit pricey but so are the factory Sig sights.

Mine came with the MI front sight and I added a magpul mbus rear.  I use a mid height ring to mount my optic so I get an upper 1/3 cowitness.

• Like 1

DARTH,

AND YOU'RE GETTING WHAT KIND OF ACCURACY WITH WHAT KIND OF AMMO?

DOES IT FEED HOLLOW POINTS OK?

THANKS BROTHER,

SEMPER FI,

JESS1344

Damn. I want one but, my private health insurance just increased by $1200 a year, as of today. Fucking cock-suckers.

SIM,

FUCK THAT INSURANCE BULLSHIT.

COME AND GET ME..............

JESS1344

DARTH,

I CHECKED THE 556R THREAD, AND IT WAS JAG THAT SUGGESTED THE HK SIGHTS AT RTG.

SOME QUESTIONS, DOESN'T SOMEONE MAKE A LARGER, MORE ERGONOMIC SAFETY FOR THESE THINGS, DOES IT TAKE THE 75RND DRUMS, AND IS THE BORE CHROMED?

THANKS AGAIN,

JESS1344

• Like 1

JPANZER,

THANK YOU, MY FRIEND.

LIKE I SAID, IT'S APPARENTLY A TOTALLY RANDOM CHANCE THING, AT LEAST DOWN HERE.

IT MAY HELP INSURE THAT YOU GET FIRST CALL IF ONE COMES IN, IF THE SPORTING GOODS CREW IS OCCASIONALLY TREATED TO A LARGE PIZZA, ALL THE WAY, WITH A SUPPLY OF THEIR FAVORITE NON-ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE.

SUCH THINGS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE REMARKABLE CAUSE AND EFFECTS, IE, A PIZZA OR TWO CAN CAUSE A PHONE TO RING.........

JUS' SAYIN'.

NOW THAT'S NOT WHAT I DID, AS I SAID ABOVE, I SIMPLY HAPPENED TO LUCK INTO THIS ONE, OUT OF THE BLUE.

GOOD LUCK!

JESS1344

I haven't done any serious accuracy testing.  It wears a dot and gives good accuracy with that.

Feeds anything but doesn't always extract.  I'll probably have to send it to Sig again.  But you got a gen 2.

Krebs makes a great safety switch.  

• Like 1

From what i've read, the 556r is an amazing innovation. It was meant to be a perfect synthesis of the 2 major platforms, and it is. Someone finally combined the weight of an AK with the reliability of an AR.

Huh? blink.png

Shouldn't that be the reliability of an AK and the precision (manufacturing / potential accuracy) of an AR?

They both weigh about 7.5 lbs in stock configuration.

I have no experience with the SIG but I've read lotsa good things about them.  Am I missing something with the above statement?

Macbeau wants to know....

Shouldn't that be the reliability of an AK and the precision (manufacturing / potential accuracy) of an AR?

Yeah, that was probably the initial design goal anyway.

They both weigh about 7.5 lbs in stock configuration.

Huh. My AR is 5#. My AKs are around 7-8#.

EDIT: I deleted my response. In retrospect, get what you love and want and makes you happy. I recommend doing some research before dropping $1200, but your financial situation isnt mine, so just go with what works for you. Peace.

Edited by mostholycerebus

Again - Huh? blink.png

My Colt HB M4 is just over 7 lbs unloaded...

Do you have a Carbon-15 or some composite AR you're referring too?

M-4 specifications from Wikipedia

Specifications Weight 6.36 lb (2.88 kg) empty
7.5 lb (3.4 kg) with 30 rounds Length 33 in (840 mm) (stock extended)
29.75 in (756 mm) (stock retracted) Barrel length 14.5 in (370 mm)

Had to check my local Wallyworld after reading this thread. Nada here in AZ.

When Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has them they are 1099 w/ free shipping. Bonus points for not having to pay our worthless government tax on the purchase as well :)

My walmart has Colt 6920's for 1099, but no Sig's as of yet, and I was told the price is subject to change.

CAPT.,

WELL, THE SIGS, 522, 556, AND 556R ARE ALL IN THE W-MART SUPPLY SYSTEM, BECAUSE MY STORE HAS THEM ALL; YOU MIGHT GIVE YOUR GUYS A BUMP ON THAT.

IF I WANTED A 5.56 CAL. GUN, I'D GET THE 556 MODEL OVER THE AR ANY DAY, JUST BECAUSE OF THE PUSHROD GAS SYSTEM.

JESS1344

My walmart has Colt 6920's for 1099, but no Sig's as of yet, and I was told the price is subject to change.

CAPT.,

WELL, THE SIGS, 522, 556, AND 556R ARE ALL IN THE W-MART SUPPLY SYSTEM, BECAUSE MY STORE HAS THEM ALL; YOU MIGHT GIVE YOUR GUYS A BUMP ON THAT.

IF I WANTED A 5.56 CAL. GUN, I'D GET THE 556 MODEL OVER THE AR ANY DAY, JUST BECAUSE OF THE PUSHROD GAS SYSTEM.

JESS1344

My only problem with the AR is the gas in the face.

Same here Capt. Plenty of Colts but no Sigs at the Wal Mart. Next closest one doesn't even sell long guns!

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 1

CAPT.,

JESS1344

My only problem with the AR is the gas in the face.

DARTH,

MAKING SURE YOU HAVE NEW, SNUG, RINGS AND KEEPING THE RING END GAPS SPACED AT 12, 4, AND 8 O'CLOCK WILL MINIMIZE THE CHANCES, THOUGH THEY WILL EVENTUALLY WORK TOGETHER.

ANOTHER PROBLEM, BESIDES THE "SPIT IN THE EYE", IS SHORT-STROKING WHEN GAP LINE-UP IS COMBINED WITH WORN RINGS.

USING THE 3-TURN "SLINKY" TYPE RINGS WILL TAKE CARE OF BOTH PROBLEMS, JUST REPLACING THEM AS THEY WEAR.

I HAD MY ISSUE LITTLE A1 BITCH SPIT A COMBINED LOUGIE OF GAS AND LSA VAPOR IN MY EYE ON THE 9TH ROUND OF A 10 ROUND PRONE RAPID FIRE STRING AT THE 300, DURING THE FMFLANT MATCH AT LEJEUNE IN '76.

I'M TRYING TO BLINK THIS CRAP OUTA MY EYE, ALL THE WHILE THAT 60 SECOND TIMER IS MADLY TICKING AWAY IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD.

I FINALLY SAID "FUCK-IT, THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT'S GONNA GET", GOT BACK DOWN ON THE GUN AND BUSTED THE SHOT.

JUST AS I FIRED, THEY PULLED THE TARGETS, AND WHEN THEY CAME BACK UP, IT WAS 49 WITH 5 V'S, WITH THE 10TH SHOT ABOUT 1" OUT OF THE BLACK, STRAIGHT UP AT 12 O'CLOCK.

I STILL WON THAT STAGE OF THE MATCH, WITH THAT SCORE, AND A TROPHY, BUT A 50 WITH 6 V'S WOULD HAVE BEEN SWEETER.

GOD, TO HAVE 20/15 VISION AGAIN.....................

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

Are there any 922r compliance issues when using foreign magazines with this rifle?  Maybe for my own clarification I should also ask if this is imported or made in the good ole USA? 

Edited:  What was the price on the 556r before the panic?  Thanks JESS1344, you have sparked my interest.  Now to figure out the details...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1

I was at the range testing the FAL and another shooter had a Sig556. I talked to him a few minutes and he says. There's about 20 rounds left in the mag if you'd like to shoot it. I said "Hells yes!" I fired a couple of rounds standing to see how quickly I could get it back on target and it was a natural for me. After shooting the couple of rounds I dropped the mag and cleared. He had his back turned and when he turned back aorund he says. "What? That's it? Empty that mag for me." So I gladly proceeded to shoot it in double taps until the mag was empty.

When I was done I offered to replace the ammo or give him some cash, and he wouldn't take it. I shook his hand and thanked him. Now, thanks to this nice fella I got a bug for the Sig556.

• Like 2

Are they also stocking the Sig556?

LIBERTY-R-DEATH,

WERE YOU REFERRING TO W-MART?

MINE HAS THE 522, 556, AND NOW THE 556R, SO THEY'RE IN THE W-MART SUPPLY SYSTEM, BUT AS I SAID ABOVE, THE YOUNG LADY SAYS THEY CAN'T ORDER ANY OF THE "EXOTIC" STUFF, IE, AR'S ETC.

THEY JUST HAVE TO TAKE WHAT SHOWS UP ON THE TRUCK, AND IT'S A TOTALLY RANDOM THING.

JESS1344