What kind of accuracy are you getting with your Vepr 12 with slugs? What kind have you tried? Has anyone done any serious testing using a rifled choke? I am about to start deer hunting with mine and I have an Izhmash 'Paradox' rifled choke I'm going to try on it with various slugs and hope to get good accuracy and range with it. I'll also be comparing the Paradox to a Winchoke rifled choke tube and my AK-Builder choke adapter. Will post some pics.

022.gif

• Like 1

I would try using some regular, non sabot, rifled slugs like the 2 3/4", Winchester, 1oz. hollow point  (X12RS15) to compare against (without the paradox tube). They a way cheaper than the sabot slugs, and work well. I use a PollyChoke II (flash hider model) set on the "slug" setting, and get very good groups. I used this set-up (with an Aimpoint T-1 optic) on a Saiga S12 for four years, and on a fixed stock Vepr 12 last year.

Edited by 7.62m43

Would you mind defining what a good group is for a shotgun with slugs? I honestly have no yardstick to know what's good and what's not.

Considering the AK platform is by no means a "match rifle", and you are shooting a smoothbore, if you can get under 6" groups at 100 yds. I would be happy with that. Now if you were to be shooting a TarHunt custom shotgun http://www.tarhunt.com/Tarhunt/ , you could expect nice tight groups like a good rifle will produce.

6-8" groups out of smoothbore S12 with a scope from a rest is doable with sluggers and similar. I know I've done it, but I haven't done it enough to say that I can repeat that every time. I'm just saying that when I work out the hold for drop, I was able to keep them on an ~6x8" steel plate at about a hundred. 

for as many paradox choke that I own, I should be tarred and feathered for not doing research. That give me a project to add to the list. Thanks Shannon. 

Dont forget to mention what length you are using. I have two different lengths, one threaded, one not. One molot, one Izhmash. 

• Like 1

its just ive had them for so long and not a single slug has been fired through them. Every now and again ill wonder to myself, hmm, wonder how it works....lazyness. thats all it is. I have a few different types to use. 

Centurian, which has thick rifling and concerns me some about using them with the chokes

Whinchester which I have no reservations about

and

Federal Slugs which I have no reservations about either.  

Well don't feel bad I've been so busy lately having to take care of other things I still haven't got my slug shooting done. Actually was at the range today to sight in the Vepr and my Saiga 7.62 x 39 with scopes. Got the Saiga dialed in pretty good shooting good groups at 25 yds, was gonna move back to 50 yds after getting the Vepr dialed in, then it started raining again about the time I started loading it. Planning to hit it again tomorrow if this crap finally clears up.

AZG my rifled chokes are Izhmash and Winchester. The Izzy one is just over 4" with 3 3/4" past the muzzle. Winchoke is 3 3/4" with about 2 7/8" past the muzzle.

Slugs I'm planning to eventually test out are:

1. Remy Sluggers 2.75" (1560 FPS) 1oz

2. Federal Premium Vital Shock 3" Sabot (1550 FPS) 1oz

3. Brenneke Special Forces Magnum 2.75" Sabot (1476 FPS) 1.25oz

4. Brenneke K.O. Rifled Slugs  2.75" (1600 FPS) 1oz

5. Lightfield 2.75" Sabot (1300 FPS) 1.25oz

6. Wolf Rifled Slugs 2.75" (1400 FPS) 1oz

Pretty happy so far with the x39 Saiga though. After moving back and dialing it in at a distance I'll be able to trust it for a deer this year maybe.

This was shooting Wolf Military Classic x39 in the camo box.

post-1293-0-32871000-1381274483_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share with you guys my experience this past Saturday with rifled slugs on my V12. On the left are two different shots (1 from me, and another from an Army buddy, both at 100 meters, we hit basically the same spot with a red dot). The right is a shot by me from a 270 winchester at 100 meters.

VEPR12-SLUGS-10-19-13.jpg

• Like 1