bayonet lug on front sight or gas block?

Hello everyone. this is my first post.  I recently purchased an IZ132 from a Dunhams in PA and looking to do a conversion.  I cant seem to find the answer to my question in multiple forums or google.  Is the bayonet lug supposed to be on the front sight post or gas block?  Also does the cleaning rod free float or is it attached somehow?  Basically i want to replace the gas block and front sight post with something more "original" and am confused on what I should be purchasing, and where to purchase it.  I just ordered a new Russian vented gas tube.  This is my first AK and I am not really that familiar with them.  I'm just looking for some direction.  Also it seems that most parts are out of stock online.  Anyone have a lead on where conversion parts can be purchased?  I have access to a shop press and assorted tools.  I'm going to be pressing on an original style lower handguard retainer and plan on pressing on a different gas block so I do not plan on using one of the retainers that have a screw in the top.  Can't seem to find the retainer in stock anywhere.  Thanks in advance from Ohio.

And its a 7.62X39 if that matters

90 degree Gb 15mm and 14.5 mm fsb. Bulgarian, Russian, AK74 spec will be same. Some AKM fsb are 14.5mm like the Polish. Akm Gb are 45 degree. Akm and ak74 retainers for hg are the same. With everything you want to do just buy a Bulgy ak74 kit. That will give you everything you need you can sell what you don't use watch out for 922 compliance.

Saiga has a 90 degree gas block. From what I recall port location different on an akm look up barrel journal AK74 vs AKM vs Type 3 or whatever 45 degree block u are considering.

Edited by Jaba1017

For 100 bucks I got a slant muzzle brake, front sight post, lower handguard retainer, lower handguard spring (metal piece that goes in the wood), cleaning rod, 4 spare pins, 2 tapco mags and a polish bayonet. No one had a 90 degree gas block so it looks like I'll be ordering that.

On a traditional AKM with a short slant muzzle brake (actually more a compensator than a brake) the bayonet lug is on the gas block.On an AK-74 with the longer muzzle brake the bayonet lug is on the front sight block.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just received my gas tube in the mail from rusmilitary and it doesn't fit. I can seat it where it goes how ever the lever on the sight block will not close as there is more material on the new gas tube than on the factory one. Do you guys think I could just file down some material on the new (old stock) gas tube where the half moon pin locks in? Also I have been unsuccessful in finding a 90 degree gas block with bayonet lug anywhere. Anyone got a lead on a gas block? I've ordered the conversion kit from danzig. All I need now is the stock, pistol grip and handguard set. If it matters the new gas tube is a bulgarian with vent holes.

I had to file some off the end of my gas tube, didn't have to take much off and it now locks in perfectly.Just take your time and keep trying it so you don't take too much off,as soon as the lever locks down thats it.

Took about 15 seconds with a bench grinder, then cleaned it up with a bastard file worked great. Got my shipping confirmation from danzig today, just need to find a gas block somewhere and I'll be good to go. Still haven't found a gas block for sale anywhere. Even tried checking foreign websites.

I've been lurking around several forums before I dive into this conversion and have seen a lot of people have cut the sleeve off of the end of the barrel to add a muzzle attachment.  I already have a new (used) front sight post with the detent hole and plunger as well as the grove for the cleaning rod and plan to add a slant muzzle brake.  If I'm going to be replacing the entire front sight do I even need to cut the sleeve off?  I imagine it is just floating over the barrel and attached to the factory front sight post and would not need cut off as I will be replacing the whole front sight post.  My plans are to press of the gas block, and front sigh post, then install the lower hand guard retainer, install the gas block (with bayonet lug) then install the new front sight. I have a bayonet that I will be using to find the correct location to install the new front sight, then cut threads from the barrel up to the front sight. 

Am I going about this correct?

Do I need to cut off the sleeve if I'll be replacing the front sight anyways?

Should the ring on the bayonet sit flush with the new front sight?

Thanks!

and any tricks to align the front sight post?  A guy at the gun show recommended using a laser level.