Ideas for optics on .308 Kushnapup?

I recently installed the Kushnapup stock on my converted .308 but I'm having a hard time with optics. The gas tube rails don't fit, the side mount is out of the question for obvious reasons, and I'm running out of ideas.

The mount needs to be forward of the rear sight leaf for eye relief. I'm no gunsmith but I stumbled along and did the conversion myself as well as modding the kushnapup linkage to work on the converted rifle, but im not sure I could make a sturdy enough optics mount with some cheap ebay rail and U bolts. Does anyone have any ideas before I set off on this project?

Edited by N2OJoe

CSS scout mount will work. Replaces the rear sight leaf, which is useless for iron sights anyway on the Kush. I bought one for my Kpup 223 and confirmed it works, although I ended up going with the ultimak type setup. Here is a link to it on Carolina Shooters Supply's website: http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/css-rifle-scout.htm

Thanks for the advice guys. I did try this Ultimak http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/ultimak-vepr-rail-m3-b.htm even though it clearly says it fits .308, it's way out of alignment vertically, it's too short, and the mounting rings are way too small to get anywhere near making contact with the screws.

Were you able to use a magnified scope with that mount, Spacehog? I had a short stock on it before the kush and i couldn't mount the scope far enough forward for it to not hit my glasses when I fired.

I havent been to the range or fired it yet, but the only thing I dislike about the stock overall is the horribly weak reset spring for the trigger(and the fact that they don't sell it already cut out for a converted gun). If you tighten down the screws too much on the stock, it doesn't reset sometimes and is very sluggish when it does. I intend to get a stronger spring for it though I am concerned the little plastic tabs it rests on may not handle a really strong spring.

Edited by N2OJoe

Thanks for the advice guys. I did try this Ultimak http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/ultimak-vepr-rail-m3-b.htm even though it clearly says it fits .308, it's way out of alignment vertically, it's too short, and the mounting rings are way too small to get anywhere near making contact with the screws.

Were you able to use a magnified scope with that mount, Spacehog? I had a short stock on it before the kush and i couldn't mount the scope far enough forward for it to not hit my glasses when I fired.

I havent been to the range or fired it yet, but the only thing I dislike about the stock overall is the horribly weak reset spring for the trigger(and the fact that they don't sell it already cut out for a converted gun). If you tighten down the screws too much on the stock, it doesn't reset sometimes and is very sluggish when it does. I intend to get a stronger spring for it though I am concerned the little plastic tabs it rests on may not handle a really strong spring.

I did not mount a magnified scope on the sight leaf rail. In my opinion, it is only long enough for a red dot. I do have a 1x4 currently setup on the gas tube with a riser. Ultimaks were out of stock everywhere at the time, so my solution was to mount a spare section of rail from an old saiga 12 quad rail to the factory saiga gas tube. Get ready to cringe....I used high strength JB weld after thoroughly scuffing up the interior of the rail and the top of the gas tube. It was a temporary solution until Ultimaks came back in stock. However after 500-700 rounds through it, it is still solid and still holds zero. Holding zero was another one of my concerns since the factory gas tube does not have mounting brackets. I must have gotten lucky, and my gas tube has always been extremely tight fitting, because I haven't had any issues.

As far as the reset is concerned, I do not use the spring that comes with the stock. If the rod is adjusted properly, the reset on the factory trigger is more than sufficient to work. I found that taking out the spring that comes with the Kush, gives a much better trigger. Give it a try and see if it works for you. Below is a pic of my set up as it currently sits. There are more detailed pics of the rail mod in the following thread and a pic of how it currently looks:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/78766-my-kushnapup-223-build-with-pics/

ETA you may also have to remove a little more material on the inside of the Kush stock to get it to tighten completely without binding around the factory FCG. This was the area I had to do the most fitting. I just dusted the gun with line chalk, shook off the excess, I put it together. This gave me a good idea where the binding points were.

post-37530-0-14146700-1381085593_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

Epoxy done right, can be very durable but I don't think I could ever really trust it by itself. I'm definitely going to try your chalk idea though!

I'm thinking something similar to this http://www.amazon.com/QuadBoss-Luggage-U-Bolt-Clamp-19-Z012/dp/B000WK4CKC/ref=sr_1_131?ie=UTF8&qid=1381166913&sr=8-131&keywords=u+bolt+clamp with a stud in the middle to use the factory holes in the rail.

Edited by N2OJoe

Lol. I knew I was setting myself for criticism. Quite frankly I did not expect it to last either, and I will purchase an Ultimak when it does. It was a temporary solution that has held up surprisingly well. To the original question, the point is if you cannot find what you need commercially, be creative and make it. That is the fun of this this platform. Just be sure to weld it and not JB weld it, less you live forever in infamy in the Hall of Shame :)

Edited by Spacehog