Multi Caliber Lower?

I have recently purchased a stripped AR lower that I'm going to register as an SBR thru my NFA trust hopefully before the changes to trust transfers that the ATF possibly will add at the direction of comrade Holder. My question is can I register my lower with multiple calibers if I intend to use more than just 5.56/.223? The next question I have is I'm looking into possibly adding a slide fire stock with a 7.5 inch upper. Does anyone have any experience with slide fire stocks? I would like to register it as 9mm, 5.56, and maybe .22 LR. I expect the .22 LR to maybe have cycling issues but what about 9mm?

Most .22 LR I've seen just runs on blowback like a pistol.

I've never filled out any SBR paperwork (Nor do I own one) so this will be educational for me as well.

However the though of maybe being able to write "All legal cartridges" would seem to be most appropriate giving yourself room to do what you want and not be so restricted.

But I don't even know if that is an option.  If not it should be.

As for 9mm you run an adapter and a different buffer.  If you don't want to run an adapter then you are looking at a lower specifically designed for 9mm (And .40 S&W if you wanted to head in that direction, upper by Rock River Arms).

The good news is with the adapter you should be able to load it with .40 for a .40 upper anyway.

Edited by ShadowFire

You may register the lower receiver in ONLY one caliber.  The good thing about the AR15 type weapon system is the ease of which you may switch out parts.  So, lets say you register is in 5.56 with a barrel length of 5".  You may switch out any caliber you wish and any upper you wish as long as you don't go below the 5" length you plan on having as the registered length.  ATF allows you to temporarily change, without requesting through them, calibers and lengths as long as you can CHANGE IT BACK to the caliber, and barrel length, you originally registered the lower in.  

Hope this helps,

Gunny NR

This also allows you to own many upper receivers and only ONE sbr lower. Just remember if you have more than one AR15 type weapon make sure to mate the proper two together. Also, make sure to carry a copy of your form 4 with you at all times when shooting your SBR.

Seems like stating the shortest barrel/caliber you plan to run would be the best.  If you're allowed to switch then there's no point in listing every possible caliber you ever think you might run.

• Like 1

Seems like stating the shortest barrel/caliber you plan to run would be the best.  If you're allowed to switch then there's no point in listing every possible caliber you ever think you might run.

Right, always shorter on the barrel.

Gunny might be right on this, but all the NFA dealers I've dealt with recommended listing it. Not to say that FFL's don't misinterpret things, but if your going through this much trouble, to get an SBR, why chance such a simple fix.

And slidefire is a flimsy piece of shit. IF you MUST bumpfire, get a BUMPSKI. They're much more solid, built from aluminum, instead of recycled garbage bags.

Edited by poolingmyignorance