I had training today. Before the session started someone looked out the window and this odd looking little skunk was running around in circles about 30 yards away from the building. Upon further investigation we found out the little guy had his head stuck in a cup with a domed lid like comes on a Flurry. I was the first one out to try to take it off, but kind of chicken out, LOL. Oh well. I pulled out my phone while another guy took his turn. He finally got the cup off, but the domed lid stayed and the little fella ran off. We were being pretty quiet so we wouldn't spook him and have him piss all over. At least he can see, eat and drink now. Perhaps he'll get the lid off on his own. It was by far the most interesting part of the day.

Edited by Yeoldetool

That tail did come up, but good for the little guy. I wonder if the "recuser" had of gotten sprayed, would ya'll have let him back around any of you?  :) Never seen a skunk down here, but the wife told me today at dinner, Oh Yeh, I past a big ass hog up on the road coming home, it looked like it'd just been hit". She said it was still flopping a little bit, so it would have still been OK to get and process, but NO, she wouldn't have any of that, that was ROAD KILL. Hell, even 100 lbs. of free range hog is still good meat, after cutting away any damage. He'll most likely be a good dinner for the coyotes tonight. I think the day is coming when road kill will taste pretty good, especially on the grill. :)

Termite, I'm pretty sure he would have gotten in the shower pretty quick. We have a shower available right in the building for decontamination. It was a concern, though.

Edited by Yeoldetool

Man you got more balls than me. I stay way clear of skunks. Never would have got any closer than shotgun range no mater how cute and sad that little bastard was.

We got a skunk problem around here. My dog got into one this morning. They seem to have had a population explosion the last couple years.

That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

I've heard that skunks are kind of viciuos, but I've known of a few who made pets of them... I'd be pretty careful about getting bit or something, but that guy is braver than me.

As for the spray, Isn't that why your department pays for dry cleaning?

I've heard that skunks are kind of viciuos, but I've known of a few who made pets of them... I'd be pretty careful about getting bit or something, but that guy is braver than me.

Skunks, raccoons and bats are the top carrier of rabies.

Kudos to those who put themselves aside to help an animal in distress, but man. That'd be a hell of a price to pay for doing the right thing.

(is it still 18 shots in the belly button? Or did they finally come up with a new method?)

As of about 3-4 years ago the popular rabies regimen was 7 shots, but I think an 11 shot battery is common too. They are unpleasant and expensive. A friend of mine was car camping across the country and woke up to a coyote gnawing on his foot. I think it was just under $3K and it cut his trip short. Since he wasn't traveling, he hung around with my friends and ended up meeting the girl he married, so he thinks it was a good deal. Apparently if you don't get to the hospital within a certain time window you have to take the 11 shot battery and he just squeaked in in time for the 7 shot.

As of about 3-4 years ago the popular rabies regimen was 7 shots, but I think an 11 shot battery is common too. They are unpleasant and expensive. A friend of mine was car camping across the country and woke up to a coyote gnawing on his foot. I think it was just under $3K and it cut his trip short. Since he wasn't traveling, he hung around with my friends and ended up meeting the girl he married, so he thinks it was a good deal. Apparently if you don't get to the hospital within a certain time window you have to take the 11 shot battery and he just squeaked in in time for the 7 shot.

Yea I wasn't sure. When we were kids my cousin decided he's catch a bat and play with it. He had to go through 18. Considering the consequences are 90% death 10% crippling brain damage, it's an easy decision.

You ought to see what they will do to honey beehive....down right mean. Mater juice with chunked up taters in it is the best thing I have found to get it off you..wash rinse repeat...after about the 3rd time you may have to start with fresh juice and taters.just burn your clothes it's not worth the hassle trying to get the smell out.