So I was purchasing a trigger from Brownell's and got distracted looking at magazines for the ar and evidently I clicked add to cart and purchased this. Its a lancer awm clear magazine. I have really fallen in love with this mag since I got it. We take long walks together and even watched the sunset a few times. I like the fact that you can see right through it. Plus its reinforced where needed. First time I have been glad that I accidentally purchased something lol

post-34181-0-72005700-1381280798_thumb.jpgpost-34181-0-47890000-1381280825_thumb.jpgpost-34181-0-00057900-1381280851_thumb.jpgpost-34181-0-15475000-1381280864_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ethan M
  • Like 1

Looks pretty cool!

Interesting factoid for you (from the rubber and plastic manufacturing industry)... Most plastic and rubber goods would be clear, or at least translucent (tires would be beige), if not for the addition of "carbon black"...

...it generally costs manufacturers less to produce clear plastic items than to produce black ones! :)

I've heard that the very first automotive gas tanks (worked in that industry for a spell) were translucent, but customers didn't like seeing sloshing gas under their cars, so they became black...

• Like 2

Looks pretty cool!

Interesting factoid for you (from the rubber and plastic manufacturing industry)... Most plastic and rubber goods would be clear, or at least translucent (tires would be beige), if not for the addition of "carbon black"...

...it generally costs manufacturers less to produce clear plastic items than to produce black ones! :)

I've heard that the very first automotive gas tanks (worked in that industry for a spell) were translucent, but customers didn't like seeing sloshing gas under their cars, so they became black...

I did not know that. Pretty cool thanks. Wait, those communist charged me more for clear! Lol

Silly me.  I thought the first automotive gas tanks were metal...

• Like 2

On topic, i bought one of the L5AWM (Lancer5AdvancedWarfighterMagazine) And have been extremely impressed with it this far. Feeds without any issues, fit and finish are great, drops free everytime I have used it, which is all i can ask for from a magazine. I planned to buy a few more and then the AWB scare happened and i refuse to spend $60 for a single magazine. Now that it is over i will be picking up a few more Lancer mags and add them to the ammo box.

I also am a big fan of the reinforced feed lip area. Is like a hybrid of a USGI type mag and a Magpul, bringing the best of both worlds. The see through body is a much better design than the window that neer accurately displays ammo count.

• Like 2

aren't clears usually more UV sensitive?

Yes... That is another reason that your tires are black.. On a gas tank, it's far less critical since it's under the vehicle... Someone can call bull on this if they like, because I really don't remember, but I think I was told that the gas tanks early on C-4 'vettes were translucent. I know damn well that the tanks on C-5+ 'Vettes aren't because I worked on that program.

In the tire world, my current realm, carbon black is being replaced with silica compounds for longer tire life and lower rolling resistance. They still add to the black color, but I really don't understand how because sand is, well, sand colored. I assume the silica is mixed with something else? I'm not a chemist, so I don't get into that domain of it.

Can you cut me some slack for omitting "plastic" from that sentence..? I promise, I intended to write it.

On topic, i bought one of the L5AWM (Lancer5AdvancedWarfighterMagazine) And have been extremely impressed with it this far. Feeds without any issues, fit and finish are great, drops free everytime I have used it, which is all i can ask for from a magazine. I planned to buy a few more and then the AWB scare happened and i refuse to spend $60 for a single magazine. Now that it is over i will be picking up a few more Lancer mags and add them to the ammo box.

I also am a big fan of the reinforced feed lip area. Is like a hybrid of a USGI type mag and a Magpul, bringing the best of both worlds. The see through body is a much better design than the window that neer accurately displays ammo count.

I haven't put a lot of rounds through it yet, but so far it has worked perfectly.

Can you cut me some slack for omitting "plastic" from that sentence..? I promise, I intended to write it.

If there's one astute thing I'm noticed about Darth Saigus: he seldom cuts slack. Not that there's anything wrong with that, he reminds me, in a way, of an old roomate I used to have. An opinion on everything, seldom swayed.

Ethan, I'm glad your accidental purchase actually worked out for ya!

• Like 1

Yes... That is another reason that your tires are black.. On a gas tank, it's far less critical since it's under the vehicle... Someone can call bull on this if they like, because I really don't remember, but I think I was told that the gas tanks early on C-4 'vettes were translucent. I know damn well that the tanks on C-5+ 'Vettes aren't because I worked on that program.

In the tire world, my current realm, carbon black is being replaced with silica compounds for longer tire life and lower rolling resistance. They still add to the black color, but I really don't understand how because sand is, well, sand colored. I assume the silica is mixed with something else? I'm not a chemist, so I don't get into that domain of it.

Actually I figured you meant to say plastic.  But you didn't.  lol

And to the op, glad your accidental purchase turned out well.  I accidentally ordered a case of 223 blanks a while back.  I didn't enjoy that so much.

Edited by Darth Saigus

my racecar had a factory black plastic saddle gas tank but it cracked and started to leak fuel so i went with w stainless fuel cell

my racecar had a factory black plastic saddle gas tank but it cracked and started to leak fuel so i went with w stainless fuel cell

In a race car, I think that's probably a wise decision. OEM plastic tanks are tortured in a variety of ways before being installed in a car. I'm sure they're out there, but I've never actually heard of a failure. I have had 2 steel ranks die of rust though.

Anyhow... Sorry for the massive thread-jack, OP..

In a race car, I think that's probably a wise decision. OEM plastic tanks are tortured in a variety of ways before being installed in a car. I'm sure they're out there, but I've never actually heard of a failure. I have had 2 steel ranks die of rust though.

Anyhow... Sorry for the massive thread-jack, OP..

Hey not a prob. I have actually found it quite interesting.

Cool! Maybe you need a job in a HOT (our press row hit 146F last summer) plastics and rubber factory as well! :) hehehe... Lots of fun, but LOTS of shitty work too.

Don't know if I could stand 146 lol I'm almost done with my bs in criminal justice. Uh can't wait to be done with this.

Don't know if I could stand 146 lol I'm almost done with my bs in criminal justice. Uh can't wait to be done with this.

Since it's your topic, and you don't mind running it completely off the rails, I will tell you that my education (6 years for me... an AS and BS in 2 different engineering fields) was the best investment of my time or money that I have ever made and it is the one thing that no one can ever take away from me. For the rest of my life I will be an engineer, the end... even a tattoo can be cut off.

That said, I've been moderately successful in my professional endeavors and I'm currently helping to support my fiance finish law school (talk about a long, LONG, road... it's her last year of school!!! WOOHOOO!)... Education, be it in a school or as an apprentice working a trade, is the single best investment you can make. Hang in there, it will be worth it!

You planning on being a cop? If so, best wishes! It seems like a lot of jurisdictions have become very competitive in the past years.

Since it's your topic, and you don't mind running it completely off the rails, I will tell you that my education (6 years for me... an AS and BS in 2 different engineering fields) was the best investment of my time or money that I have ever made and it is the one thing that no one can ever take away from me. For the rest of my life I will be an engineer, the end... even a tattoo can be cut off.

That said, I've been moderately successful in my professional endeavors and I'm currently helping to support my fiance finish law school (talk about a long, LONG, road... it's her last year of school!!! WOOHOOO!)... Education, be it in a school or as an apprentice working a trade, is the single best investment you can make. Hang in there, it will be worth it!

You planning on being a cop? If so, best wishes! It seems like a lot of jurisdictions have become very competitive in the past years.

I like two more semesters after this one. Added a minor in emergency and disaster relief management so that is making me go a little longer. Would of probably. Been done this semester except for one class.Yeah planning on doing patrol for awhile. Then we shall see what happens from there. Most agencies require experience in this area so I figured I would prob have to start there. If something better comes along I will jump on it though.

Cool! Maybe you need a job in a HOT (our press row hit 146F last summer) plastics and rubber factory as well! smile.png hehehe... Lots of fun, but LOTS of shitty work too.

Sounds great compared to some of the places I've worked... Like the crawlspace between the regen and the furnace at a glass plant... 325 degrees ambient.

That was the hottest, but only the third dirtiest. The oil pits at the steel foundry beneath the hammer line take first place for dirty.

But at least the steel mill didn't give me boils after every scratch I got like the oil passages beneath one of the co-gens...

Theres some shitty places to work out there. I'm just glad none of them are my permanent job. Be thankful for yours if it is permanent.

I like two more semesters after this one. Added a minor in emergency and disaster relief management so that is making me go a little longer. Would of probably. Been done this semester except for one class.Yeah planning on doing patrol for awhile. Then we shall see what happens from there. Most agencies require experience in this area so I figured I would prob have to start there. If something better comes along I will jump on it though.

My extra AS came as an added semester as well (they're different fields, but very related), so I know exactly where you are coming from. That extra AS has actually helped me hand a couple of jobs that guys that didn't have it didn't get. In my field, I'm qualified to do very detailed design work (I've done work for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda (lots actually), Subaru, Mitsubishi, and International Truck (TONS w/them... I love trucks! I still miss losing my dream job). Currently I work for a rubber products manufacturer that supplies to EVERY vehicle builder on the planet (name it as niche as you like, we sell them products... Almost every supercar runs our stuff).

Getting experience before getting a job sucks a fat one... I worked as a CO-OP for 1.5 years in my field before entering the job market as a professional... Still took me 9 months to land that first gig and it paid sucky and was pretty boring... It got better!!! smile.png You might have to aim lower than you hoped, but I'm sure it will pan out in the end...

...I work with a BUNCH of really excellent pipe-fitters and millwrights who started in the trenches as yes-men making minimum wage. Now those guys are the go-to folks and pull down big bank. You've got to pay your dues no matter your profession! I really do hope you come out on top after a couple of years!

Out of curiosity Maxwelhxe, do you ever work in the maquiladoras?  A real good friend of mine works plastics for GM both in Northern Mexico and Indiana.

Nope... I even had to google "maquiladoras" to know what you were talking about. I will say that my first job as a student engineer (CO-OP) was to prove out a bunch of Ford fuel line forming equipment and box it all up to send to Mexico when I was done (I literally built the shipping pallets)... That was quite the introduction to US manufacturing... sad.png

So... by proxy... Maybe?

Sounds great compared to some of the places I've worked... Like the crawlspace between the regen and the furnace at a glass plant... 325 degrees ambient.

That was the hottest, but only the third dirtiest. The oil pits at the steel foundry beneath the hammer line take first place for dirty.

But at least the steel mill didn't give me boils after every scratch I got like the oil passages beneath one of the co-gens...

Theres some shitty places to work out there. I'm just glad none of them are my permanent job. Be thankful for yours if it is permanent.

I know you're a tradesman and I have a lot of respect for you guys. 325F? Damn... I hope that wasn't for more than about 10 minutes (absolute max) at a time.

That said, the 140s F conditions I mentioned are all day, with only normal breaks, for 12 hours at a shift... I don't envy those guys at all. Thankfully, most of my work has been away from our press department so I'm only out in 110F conditions, then retreat to my office to a "cool" 87F...

The tradesman that we've had working in that department actually have to go under that hot-ass machinery and work on steam lines... There are rats down there the size of cats... They're union pipe fitters and get paid well (better than me), but not that well for this guy... Fuck that!

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 2

Shotgun News did a AR mag test a few months back The Lancer was one of their top picks for best AR mag, and if I remember correctly, was the most durable in their testing...

Yeah so far it's an awesome mag. I will prob pick some more up later.

I know you're a tradesman and I have a lot of respect for you guys. 325F? Damn... I hope that wasn't for more than about 10 minutes (absolute max) at a time.

That said, the 140s F conditions I mentioned are all day, with only normal breaks, for 12 hours at a shift... I don't envy those guys at all. Thankfully, most of my work has been away from our press department so I'm only out in 110F conditions, then retreat to my office to a "cool" 87F...

The tradesman that we've had working in that department actually have to go under that hot-ass machinery and work on steam lines... There are rats down there the size of cats... They're union pipe fitters and get paid well (better than me), but not that well for this guy... Fuck that!

One of the other welders on that job was in there for 45 mins and went into heat shock. Took over three hours for him to shake it, but he was back in before days end. It sucks. the heat is intense and you want to wear as little as possible, but everything is so fucking hot it'll burn you, so you have to wear leathers.

Never had to deal with rats. That would be a new one. What the hell caused the infestation? They feeding on the rubber?

One of the other welders on that job was in there for 45 mins and went into heat shock. Took over three hours for him to shake it, but he was back in before days end. It sucks. the heat is intense and you want to wear as little as possible, but everything is so fucking hot it'll burn you, so you have to wear leathers.

Never had to deal with rats. That would be a new one. What the hell caused the infestation? They feeding on the rubber?

I can tell you right now that guy wouldn't have been back at my job that day and I would have NEVER let him spend 45 minutes in there... As a "Project Engineer" my job is to supervise our contractors on projects... I would have booted his ass out of the plant for that, by force (I would have called the sheriff and had him removed from our campus), if nessecary. He may be tough as nails, but that is plain stupid shit... There's no reason at all to die at work making someone else richer! I hope like hell he learned his lesson!!!

Rats? Well.. Apparently you've never worked somewhere that was built in 1962 and has 50 years of chicken bones, vending machine wrappers, and CONDOMS tossed under equipment... I will only go down there under great protest and for limited periods of time... My career is very in demand (like most tradesman as well) and it isn't worth getting Rabies for money...

• Like 1

These mags are especially useful if you have a 300 blackout and handload. You can load longer heavier bullets farther out of the case because the internal ribs on this magazine is not as high as in a pmag or GI mag.

With the long heavy bullets abd high rib magazine what happens is the rib cause all the rounds to stack point towards the center of the mag and causes inside the mag and there fore it will have failure to feed and bolt over cartridge issues.

They look really nice. Too bad I don't have the balls to mod my s223 with the magazine adapter so I could run them. Too scared of fucking up my rifle.

You could always see if one of the awesome gunsmiths on this forum would do it.

These mags are especially useful if you have a 300 blackout and handload. You can load longer heavier bullets farther out of the case because the internal ribs on this magazine is not as high as in a pmag or GI mag.

With the long heavy bullets abd high rib magazine what happens is the rib cause all the rounds to stack point towards the center of the mag and causes inside the mag and there fore it will have failure to feed and bolt over cartridge issues.

This is great to know. I have been thinking about doing a 300 blackout build. Started to make my current ar build I'm working on that but ended up going 556

i think lancer makes extender to get em up to 45 or 5o some rounds?

Looks like they make a 48. Round oneattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thats pretty cool.

Yeah they look awesome. I might have to pick one up to mess around with.