nutnfancy saiga .308 review

I bet the groups would tighten up to 60mm without that muzzle device on the rifle.

Didnt see any degradation on mine wanna explain?

The guy is a peter-puffer.  Don't waste a nano-second of your life watching one of his vids.

Is this a matter of where he sticks his johnson or personality?

So my mags are heavy.... Wow thats news to me (not really), I can carry 60 of them in a bin just fine.

I do state the weight on my mags on the website so people can make the choice. But they are almost exactly the same weight of a steel AK magazine simply because they are the same square area.. If Russia had issued the saiga .308 with a steel magazine, it would be within half an ounce of mine.

But I don't disagree with everything he said.

So my mags are heavy.... Wow thats news to me (not really), I can carry 60 of them in a bin just fine.

I do state the weight on my mags on the website so people can make the choice. But they are almost exactly the same weight of a steel AK magazine simply because they are the same square area.. If Russia had issued the saiga .308 with a steel magazine, it would be within half an ounce of mine.

The problem with his review is that he was stressing the importance of magazines for the S308 but never tested one of yours.  I have had issues with the polymer mags and just trust yours much more.

• Like 1

He should have asked for a sample for the review. Oh well.

He's kind of obsessive about weight (and everything else.) Plus I think he is a  bit of a tapco fanboy. I think he also makes a point of buying like a normal person rather than taking samples. It is a pity he didn't try your magazine first though. I can say that if I was sprinting all around the countryside with a dozen magazines, that would probably matter more to me as well. Even then though to have one or two very durable steel mags to keep in the gun at the bedside or on the vehicle makes sense to me, so long as it really is better than the plastic offerings. It's surprising to me that he uses SGM's hokey muzzle device, but not their magazines. I'd sure be the other way around. It should be fairly simple to slide that front sight back a bit and re-pin it and thread the barrel properly.

The dude's obviously  a bit odd and obsessive, and takes himself raather seriously. I don't agree with all of his opinions, or his needless acronyms, but I do believe him when he says he tested an item thoroughly. I think he has helped people generally to think about how they choose their gear in a more practical way, and like it or not, he has spawned some terminology which has become standard for discussing certian ideas. He also probably gets credit for the availability of better first aid kits, etc. 

Good honest review of the rifle.

Amax 110g improves the accuracy but counting on 3MOA from the rifle with mil-surp or better steel has been my experience also.

What kind of groups are you getting out of the Amax? I'm surprised that it would prefer light bullets, since most things seem to go the other way.

• Like 1

Good honest review of the rifle.

Amax 110g improves the accuracy but counting on 3MOA from the rifle with mil-surp or better steel has been my experience also.

What kind of groups are you getting out of the Amax? I'm surprised that it would prefer light bullets, since most things seem to go the other way.

Oh geez years ago there was a guy posting here getting sub 2MOA out of hand loads with the bullet and I thought the same thing as you given the 1-12 twist but bought a box any way. 

Surprisingly they do give better groups though I was getting a bit over 2MOA but well under 3.  Havent been able to get any of them recently to spend more time with it. I only use Varget powder (just part of my consolidation scheme) and think he was using Reloader if memory serves.

I like your mags just fine but Im not obsessive over weight like NF. The SF mags are fine but steel is better. Have decided one thing on weight and fit, 15 rounders do this rifle much better than 20 or 25 pretty much the same thing Uncle decided on the M14.

Now I think I need more mags... crap.

i think his reviews are good for the most part but he's defiantly obsessed with light weight stuff and admits that.

the fact that he likes tapco so much blows my mind yeah there stuff is lightweight and cheap but the quality is terrible

Edited by smeeg

Yeah your mags are heavy, big freakin deal.  If it wasn't for csspecs mags the simple fact is I would have never bought the 308 saiga.  If i'm going to depend on the rifle then I want the most rugged and reliable mags available.  Cheap mags that don't feed right 100% of the time are far more annoying than carrying a few more ounces or paying a few more bucks to me.  The mags I have for my 308 saiga include 2 factory mags, 3 first gen csspecs mags and 7 2nd gen ones.  Just pony up the cash and man up if you want to shoot a man sized rifle.

If I want a light weight poodle shooting girls rifle I'll get my AR out and dust it off. (and I barely trust the magpul mags in it, I prefer the elander steel mags)

Edit : Oh yeah, csspecs,  when are you gonna get on that rear loading 50 round drum for the 308 saiga ??

Edited by jojo200517
  • Like 2

I guess from a standpoint using basic bolt-ons its a fair review...

that being said there is a lot more you can get out of that gun. He just hasn't done the work, nor has he put the weight where it belongs.

Complaining about a less than 12oz metal mag, but putting a muzzle device on the end of the barrel that weighed more? Please. Don't waste my time, I don't want to hear it. The further forward the weight away from the body, the more noticeable in a firing stance.

Someone please refer him to Dinzag arms. that way he can get his front sight honed(to be moved back on the barrel), and the tools he needs to thread the barrel for a proper muzzle device that is effective and doesn't put the weight where you don't want it. While he's at it maybe he can get that thing crowned and realize the joys of marksmanship it brings.

Exactly. It's a pity he doesn't research this platform as thoroughly as he would have for something like an AR. It's a fair review for what he's got, but he doesn't seem to be aware of the stuff worth getting. $170 for that hokey muzzle device would have covered the cost of having a smith thread his barrel, and him drilling out the front sight block himself, and left him with enough cash for a comp that works as well and is a quarter the weight. The stock and the safety lever are fine, but I'd be buying the krebs peep sight before I payed for krebs lever. (you guys already probably know my thoughts on that. Krebs generally make nice things, but his simple part seem way overpriced.) 

His trigger is a good choice, but his info is outdated. RSA makes one specifically for that model now, so modifying a standard one at full price was a goofy move. 

I suspect he just lets his buddy tell him what to get for anything saiga related.. "PFI" posts several sales promotional videos for saiga 12s he "built" that frankly I would be embarrassed over. i.e. a "race" gun with a UTG rail, bolt-on tromix trigger guard,and grip pod that hiccups running bulk. While the rail is a joke, the rest of that stuff is OK, for a home build, but hardly worth the premium price of having a gun "built."

• 5 weeks later...

Don't waste a nano-second of your life watching one of his vids.

+1

Confuse ME!

This guy is an ASSHAT!  (Nutnfancy - NOT GARY!

First of all - a 14-fricken-ounce muzzle break is okay, BUT a reliable, US made, 14 ounce steel magazine that HE HAS NEVER OWNED OR USED, cannot be recommended.

Second - Has this fuck-tard never heard of Dinzag?  (To Set back the FSB, tap / crown muzzle, flash hider / muzzle break mods...?)

Third.  The Saiga has a 1mm receiver just like most other stamped AK receivers.  A fact the should be obvious to anyone who has handled a few AK's..  As far as I know, some Yugo's are the only ones that have 1.5mm stamped receivers.

fourth - since this 'tard didn't build this rifle, I am sure he has no idea that the trigger guard / Mag release placement is important and his may have been positioned using a ProMag as a guide.  If so, it's possible screwed for mag reliability.

Fifth - he also doesn't seem to realize that the 16" and 21" models have two different barrel thicknesses.  Even among the 16" rifles, there are 5/8-24" capable barrels and 17mm capable barrels.  Just shortening a 21" to whatever-shorter-length is no guarantee of the same accuracy one gets out of the THICKER 16" barrels.

Finally - No AK that I am aware of has a chrome-lined gas tube.  If he ever get his hands on a stash of corrosive 7.62x51 NATO / .308 Winchester, I may be sympathetic to his complaint of a non-chrome lined gas tube on the S-308.  But, not by much.  Soap and warm water are cheaper than chrome plating.

This 'Tard obviously has not done his homework or visited here...

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nutnfancy video on the Saiga 308 has me in the market for one.

Although some might think his vid was not as detailed as it should have been, I think he hit the basics through his "checklist".

The rifle he uses is on loan from Arsenal, not something he or PFI put together?? He even says at the beginning of vid that the Arsenal Saiga is the one that got him off the fence. I think at least Arsenal got it right when they made the decision to go with a Saiga. Not to start any arguments but I believe Saiga is the Gold Standard for AKs...

Nutnfancy does spend some time on the weight issue for good reason. He's doing "Run and Gun" got the vest on with pistol with extra mags for both pistol and MBR, maybe soft armor, pouches, boots and the rest of the garb. Running from target to target putting holes where they need to be in the shortest amount of time because if SHTF that's what we'll be doing. So WEIGHT is very IMPORTANT. So email him about the mags, Email him or Arensal about the brake, and the other good points made on this thread.

One last talking point about nutnfancy vids, all 1374 of them. They take TIME and a DISCIPLINE to make. My hat is off to all who make a worthwhile vid, especially on the important subject of firearms.

Best to all

He does misquote the weights of mags a few times. I also have the weights of my magazines stated a little on the high side.

Poly may be a little lighter, however .308 ammo is still heavy. Roughly one pound per 20 rounds.

On an average setup of 5 mags the extra 3 ounce a magazine difference is just under a pound. Which could be removed from the rifle by using a gunsmith installed muzzle break.

Another consideration is bulk, the poly magazines are on average larger and more bulky, which also increases the size of pouch and adds weight and bulk to the vest setup.

I have twice attempted contacting nutnfancy.. However it seems there is no reliable way to contact the guy. If someone has his ear please pass along that I'd be open to sending samples for review.