Deer Hunting with an AKM

Who does it? Who has done it? What was your experience?? I am about to embark on my first year hunting deer with strictly Kalashnikov based weapons... as in keeping with the platform. Ideally I would like to kill a deer with each of my various Kalashnikov rifles and shotguns. We'll see how that works out....I have lots and may need to pass them around some ...lol!

I do have a good huntin buddy though who is all about the idea so we'll see! Tell of your own experience though please, and post pics if ya have em!!

I'm happy as shit now to say my only still unconverted Saiga rifle is doing so well even with surplus military ball ammo. These pics are from sighting her in at 25 and 100 yds the past couple of days. I feel I'm ready to watch em fold like a dish rag....

What you got?

First sighting in with scope on EAA extra Y stamped Saiga x39, military barrel...  25 yds final 2 five rd mags.

post-1293-0-84553100-1381383972_thumb.jpg

Lower left target...

post-1293-0-64960600-1381384096_thumb.jpg

Then today walking her in at 100 yds. Last ones were closest to the center so I'm happy. Who the fuck says AK's cannot be acculturate? Oh yeah that's right.... people who don't don't own any!! Or at least decent ones.  smile.png Hell this was even shooting Wolf Military Classic FMJ and finishing with the Barnaul SP ammo I plan to hunt with....on an unconverted 16" stock ( IE shitty ass trigger) "sporter" version too, shooting off the roof of a pickup truck in a stiff gusty crosswind today in central NC. Whole truck was moving with gusts. I can't wait to shoot this rifle on a still quiet morning from my stand and drop a buck with her. Yup... it's time to hunt.

post-1293-0-10253200-1381384942_thumb.jpg

And of course my quarry...   first up I hope. 

post-1293-0-97966100-1381386144_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah there have been tons of deer taken with the SKS. Those Barnaul SPs were tested once against all other popular x39 rounds in a water barrel. They had the biggest expansion out of everything tested. That's why I bought the case I'm still sitting on half of. Wow if I had only known and bought a dozen or more cases. That was in about '96 -'97 I think. Assault Technologies (now Classic Arms) had em for $65 per 1000 rd case..... :-(

Im planning on taking the sgl-21 with privi partizan soft points into the woods with me! After sighting it in @100 im pretty confident itll get the job done out to 100. If i head to down east nc and hunt in the fields i may take my saiga 308 in anticipation of taking a shot past 150yds. Past 200 or so at my experience level i dont think id take the shot regardless of platform. Best of luck bro, post lots of pics and details!

Edited by LuPiN8oR
  • Like 1

Yep I'm sighting in my Saiga .308s as well, the 16" with a POSP 6x scope and the 22" with a Barska 6.5 - 20x varmint scope, to take down east on my buddies land. He gets em down there with his Remy 700 Tactical .308 bull barrel out past 200. That gun has sick accuracy with hand loads. Thought it might be fun also to take my PSL down there to stretch it's legs and maybe get one with that.

LOL I so want to post some pics of my Kalashnikov weapons in the racks of some nice deer and have something to show all these numbnuts who think they can do nothing but kill people.

• Like 1

Shot a big buck last year with my x39.  He was out about 80 yards, and I was shooting with stock iron sights.  Took a little bit to feel confident before pulling the trigger using the stock iron sights on a low light early morning.  Was shooting winchester soft points.  My brother had borrowed my 30-06 that morning because he said he couldn't shoot a deer with the irons on my x39.  Showed everyone up when I came back with a big buck and my brother had a smaller doe.

Planning on using it some this year, but I still prefer using my 30-06 with the Nikon scope.  I like knowing that my bullet is hitting where my crosshairs are.

• Like 1

I plan on doing it this year. Should be fun here in NY hunting with it. I have done a bunch of searches on it and it looks like a winner out to 150 yds. I know you can reach out some more but that's all I need where I go. NY doesn't give any way to show it it's registered or not so it may be fun, and I doen't have to by law until next year. I plan on using the S12 in the shotgun areas as well.

• Like 2

I shot similar groups with my WASR during sight-in this year. I decided to take it along with my .270 and use it on the shorter ranged areas. My old BSA .270 is one hell of a rifle but I just sort of get tired of lugging it when I don't need the extta reach.

Unfortunately the area I was in was 3-point or better - that is, three points per side. Only saw spikes and 2-points, but if it were a matter of survival, there were numerous buck or doe this year that were in the WASR's sights and within accurate hit ranges.

I was carrying 5-round Chinese steel mags loaded with 8M3 HP and a Pilad 4x POSP-type scope. Not too heavy and balances well on extended pack hikes.

3JVX9Ey.jpg

0Pe8941.jpg

• Like 2

Its amazing how many of those honda trails are still going. We had 3 of them, but they are all gone. Great pictures you've got. What part of the state do you hunt in, this half is just crawling with them.

The bike is a 70 and is in great structural shape, it rides great. Had a lot of electrical gremlins from years of buffoonery via POs. I did have to rebuild the engine so I made it a big bore - 50 mm to 53.5. The area is Methow valley. I do have all the restoration plastic, paint, and stickers to finish it up this winter.

Edited by mancat

I shot one with my Valmet 76 .223 20 years ago.  It was running broadside at about 50 yards and I touched off three quick shots.  All three landed in about a 3 inch triangle right behind the shoulder.  It ran about 20 yards and piled up.

Tony

• Like 2

Does anyone have field experience with using the 154 gr soft point Cabela's (Herters) is currently selling?

I ordered some this morning and hope to use it for deer. Range where I hunt will be 120 yards or less.

• 2 weeks later...

Federal Fusion gave me some tight 100 yd groups, and only opened up to around 2" @ 200yds out of my SGL21.  If I was out after Bambi, I'd keep it inside of the 150 mark on Barnaul.  I did great at 50 and 100, but opened up to around 4" at 200 with a few fliers. 

On the 154gr stuff, it's pretty much hit or miss.  My 20" SKS would lay it on target, but my SGL21 hates the snot out of it.  Best group IO got out of Wolf was 5" @ 100yds.

• 2 weeks later...

Just yesterday took a 150 yard shot at a deer from a standing postion over irons with a stock Saiga 7.62X39 at dusk. I missed. I made sure that there was no blood on the ground and made an attempt to track. I think in the future I will limit myself to 100 yard shots with that rifle under those conditions. Will use the 8mm Mauser next time.

Does anyone have field experience with using the 154 gr soft point Cabela's (Herters) is currently selling?

I ordered some this morning and hope to use it for deer. Range where I hunt will be 120 yards or less.

I had a squib load today from one of those, and after I cleared the barrel the next one hang fired. Same box. When I opened the chamber on the squib a bunch of green and brown shit that looked like sawdust came out of the shell unburned. Had to tap the bullet out with the cleaning rod. First time getting one of those. Just shot the rest of it off. Not hunting with it. Had 2 boxes. They grouped shitty too. Using different ammo.

Edited by rnemhrd
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a squib load today from one of those, and after I cleared the barrel the next one hang fired. Same box. When I opened the chamber on the squib a bunch of green and brown shit that looked like sawdust came out of the shell unburned. Had to tap the bullet out with the cleaning rod. First time getting one of those. Just shot the rest of it off. Not hunting with it. Had 2 boxes. They grouped shitty too. Using different ammo.

Thanks for the post, rnem. Not what I hoped to hear, but forewarned is forearmed.

Unfortunately, I've got quite a bit of that ammo...forgot I had some and ordered more.

Used a Marlin 1894 to collect my deer this year; so I've got another year to play with this ammo.

Wow 

Just confirmation that there is no substitute for American hunting ammo.

Not an application I wish to save a few bucks at the expense of quality.

My friend at work just showed me pics of three deer he took in 20 min. He uses a romy 762 with an ultimak tube rail with a 30 dollar tasco red dot. He killed a doe and 10 later two bucks showed up a 7 and 8 pointer. They faced off and he shot them both. He said all three were DRT.

He was useing heratrz 154 grain steel cased soft point.

Edited by Ak Monty