BHO Tab driving me nuts

I just finished my first Saiga conversion on my 16" Saiga .308 and it went off with out a hitch.  The only thing that's bugging me is the tab for the BHO is partially obscuring the trigger and is effecting the way I squeeze the trigger.  I was wondering if it would adversely effect anything if I were to grind the tab down a little bit.  I wouldn't grind it flush w/ the receiver,  I'd just take enough off to allow for more clearance.  Or can I get rid of my BHO all together? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

post-48221-0-04394500-1381509638.jpg

I did just that. I losked the bolt back and then took off nearly all that was sticking out so it was only long enough to work with no extra length.

When I clicked this I figured you couldnt get it back in. That was so frustrating.

So if I remove it do I also remove the spring that is resting on the back notch of the BHO (Common sense says yes, as it could serve no other purpose, I just want to be sure)? I would rather get rid of the BHO all together, seeing as it doesn't stay open once the mag is removed anyway.

If I removed it I would destroy it and make it into a washer. In other words I would cut the part that the pin goes through into a washer, and leave the "new" washer in place. If you just remove it and dont account for the space its taking up in the trigger group you could run into issues.

Also yes remove the spring.

What is the purpose of the external tab?  Would it effect anything if I did end up cutting it flush w/ the receiver?

As opposed to just buying a G2 and NOT grinding the side so there is no need for a spacer, and omitting the BHO (which is pretty useless on the 308 as it doesn't even hold the bolt back far enough to chamber another round)?

Grinding it flush would be fine most all the time, except that one time it might get bumped up and lock the bolt back and get caught on the inside edge of the receiver forcing you to remove the dust cover and bolt and use a tool to get it to drop free. Nothing.

Al of mine are shortened, rounded, and polished, so they don't bother me at all. They can be used to lock the action partially open if you ever want or need to do so. They are also part of what identifies the weapon as a Saiga. It's not an AKM.

I took mine out, replaced it with a flat washer of similar thickness and hole size.  Had already bought the modified G2 trigger so it was already shortened up to fit with the BHO lever as well as the hammer re shaped to clear the cross rivet in the 308.  I thought about grinding it down and putting it back in but it's a pain in the neck to get in and out and to me about as useless as tits on a bull since it doesn't hold the bolt back far enough on the 308.

If you grind yours down to far Road Warrior just shoot me a PM on here and i'll dig my old one out of the junk box and send it to ya.

• 7 months later...

I'm finishing up my first Saiga conversion on my 308. Dinzag internals. My rifle apparently didn't come with a BHO because all I found inside was the BHO spring. I heard some other guys using a washer to replace the BHO, and I'd like to do the same. Any specific dimensions on the outside diameter or thickness of the washer used? I've never handled one of these BHO so I really don't know what space I'm trying to fill. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I am using the Tapco G2 from Dinzag. He sells a non-BHO FCG noted with an exclamation which led me to believe that the space needed to be filled. Perhaps it just means a bit less grinding on that side if you select the non-BHO FCG. Thanks for the measurement Poolingmyignorance, have you left out the BHO with a modified G2 and not had any issues?

I'm glad to hear about the non-BHO results being positive. Just heard back from Brian (Dinzag). He thinks the play in the hammer might become an issue and suggested a .060" washer be placed on the right outside of the main spring on the hammer's axis pin. It probably depends on your main spring. My 308's spring seems extra wide. My trigger has more play than my hammer, but a washer back there would just float around. 

• 2 months later...