Witness holes in MKA 1919 magazines?

I'm considering drilling some witness holes in my MKA 1919 magazines.  

These magazines are used for competition use only.  It would be nice to glance at the back of the magazine before the buzzer sounds to assure myself that I'm not about to have one of those brain fade stages.

My plans are to drill one 1/4" diameter hole in the back of the magazine where the bottom round's primer would show to indicate a full magazine.

In the Firebird 15 rd magazines, the hole would be drilled into the plastic SGM magazine.  On the Roulette 18 rd magazine, it would be drilled in aluminum.

Anyone try this with "bad" results?

Thanks.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

The plastic cracking could be possible, but I don't think a 1/4" hole is large enough to catch the spring. But just to be on the safe side you could try it with a 1/8" hole first.

Edited to add: You could also consider drilling your holes on the side of the magazine where you wouldn't have to worry about the curvature of the spring catching your hole at all.

Edited by Anubis

When I used to drill witness holes in our production mags we would use a backer block to reduce the burrs and prevent dimpling, and then did clean up with a bandfile. You can use a dremel to clean up the inside hole if your just doing a dozen or less.

You can also drill the hole lower and paint a red spot on the follower for better visibility.