10 rd magazines self destruct

Anyone ever had a problem with the AGP Saiga 12 10 rd mags having the feed lips pop off?  This happened to me several times today with 4 different magazines.   The feed lips would pop off while running or attempting to load and would cause all my shells, the follower and spring to go flying all over the place.  Was very frustrating

The only problem I have ever had with my AGP mags was when I was using one in sub-zero weather, and the front lip broke off. I contacted AGP and they sent my a new mag body free of charge. Never had any problems in any weather since then.

Just another reason to invest in quality mags if you need to rely on them.  

I love AGP and SGM magazines, but in my opinion they are range mags.

These are still in stock at Legion.

http://legionusainc.com/saiga-12-izhmash-original-non-magwell-magazine-8-round.html

pic_2_white_background1366128032516d75a0

Edited by Nailbomb
Link to Business Member restored
  • Like 2

One of mine was doing this. Took the metal feedlips off and bent them inward slightly. Never did it again. Make sure the holes in the sides of the feedlips are firmly seated over the raised areas on the mag during reassembly or it'll pop off again.

If this doesn't fix it, I'd use epoxy like MH suggested.

The Russian 8-round mags really are the best if you can stomach the price.

• Like 1

I don't have any AGP mags, but I have had 2 or 3 izzy fives do that when dropped (on carpet). Never for the KOS clone. Never for SGM, and it seems unlikely for CSSpecs. I don't drop my MD20.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you holding your magazine while firing?

You said they mags are also falling apart when you insert them. Are you inserting them on a closed bolt? Are having to force them into the magwell? Are you new to AK style magazines and the rock & lock technique?

Edited by Lord Ak-47

The only 10 round S-12 mags that truly self destruct are the promag 10 rd sticks. I have had two that the springs litarally rusted and came apart inside the bodies. Took off the floor plate and they came out in many small pieces. Pure JUNK. That said after replacing the springs with AGP springs, those mags are usable again. Still there is always the common problem of collapsing followers needing fixed or they miss the stops and rise all the way to the top hitting the feed lips and your bolt. Then they can have other issues with high brass.

My personal choice after the factory 8 rdrs are the AGP and SGM stick mags.

On 1st couple runs, back in the day, this was an issue. Sure there are some still floating around that didn't get the heavier/tighter fitting metal feed lip. Was sent a crap load of them by AGP, as most couple runs were ate up by preorders and AGP had your contact info. Sure many resalers didn't replace the original clasps. These have been as reliable as my Izzy's. By number I received, got either 3 or 4 per mag ordered. Got 40+ reloads on a couple that are on top of pile. No issue after replaced original.

Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 5 of these mags and never had an issue. I take care of them though and havent gotten crazy with abuse: tossing/dropping, clamping down on them when firing, etc.

Among 2 drums that also work great, I have 20 of the shooting times 5rnd mags. They rock for the price I paid  a few years ago (like $7 each in a bulk order; maybe they cost more now?).

The izzy 8rnd mag is probally the best and a perfect size IMO but not for $109 each... WTF? 

Edited by 2armor

Do you mean Keep Shooting 5 rounders ? I've been pleased with the one I have. It's clearly not as tough of plastic as the izzys but unlike the real thing, I've never had a problem with it. My only gripe is that the floor plate is opposite, so that I cannot easily make a new one as a compliance part. I have imported furniture on my R&L gun, and new floor plates was  an easy way to acheive parts count while broke.

P.s. KOS typically has a killer black friday deal on those. They've been sold for $5 each and $7 each. I've been seeing people buy them for $35 on ebay, so if i had questionable parentage, I'd stock up on those and chuck them on ebay for a tidy profit.

Edited by GunFun