New Vepr 308 Owner w/ Multiple Q's

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Vepr .308 and was hoping to get some information from you guys.

From my research, it sounds like the only magazines that work reliably are the Csspecs Magazines.  Is this true?  Any reliable alternatives? 

Also, it looks like they have two options:

http://stores.csspecs.com/-strse-17/vepr-.308-20-round/Detail.bok

http://stores.csspecs.com/-strse-38/vepr-.308-20-round/Detail.bok

From what I can tell the only difference is that one has a black nitrate finish.  Is the black nitrate finish worth the extra money?

It appears to be a V 1 (no front sight on gas block) with a square back receiver.  What is the difference between a V1 and a V2? Is one better than the other? One more valuable than the other?

I inquired with the retailer and they stated that regular AK furniture would not fit the Vepr. 

Who makes furniture that will fit? 

Thanks for the help.

Jay

You can make regular AK furniture fit. You have to file the blocks on the furniture that go into the receiver to accomodate for the extra .5 mm of thickness. I've got surplus Bulgarian 74 wood on mine. Also, if you want to use a regular AKM gas tube for the upper handguard brackets, you have to do some filing on the gas tube so that the lock will clear. I actually found converting a Vepr easier than converting my a Saiga.

• 2 weeks later...

The CSSpecs mags work great in the gun and are well made , Veprs are a much heavier & slightly different build normal AK furniture will not drop in the gun without extensive modifications and work . Below you will see a picture of the Vepr 308 we are offering with aftermarket furniture.

vepr308-16tac.jpg

What brake is that? Doesn't look like Tapco. The finish appears to be much better.