Hi all. Well, I am being laid off from work. Been expecting it, actually...

Question for all, in case I need to relocate... How did you go about moving your gun collection? I have a couple ideas, of course it would also depend on how far I have to move...
If it's within a couple hours, I could just box up the guns and transport them in my own pickup truck, directly door-to-door. (Most likely)
I could wrap them all in bubble-wrap, put them back in the safe, lock it, and let the moving company do it. (Kind of nervous about that, though.)

Any other thoughts?  :huh:

I'm also sorry to hear about the boot falling... :( Happened to be a couple of years ago and I also expected it. That didn't make it any less stressful (in fact, I got to panic about it for 2 years). I see you're in a neighbor state. If you want to come here I'll do whatever I can to help you land softly!

I'm w/Sim... My guns would be, and have been, transported by me and only my most trusted associates (parents, best friend of 30 years, etc). If you're moving to unfamiliar water, I'd pull all the bolts, slides, operating springs, etc., label them in zip-lock bags, and put them in a little safe separated from the rest of the guns (in my case, if I were moving I'd be moving a bunch of different vehicles, so I'd put that safe in a different car w/all the ammo) and I wouldn't have a key to it with the rest of the weapon(s).

As far as packing the long guns: buy a bunch of cheap generic seran wrap, wrap them up nice and tight (no need to be stingy at $2 for 200 yards), roll them in cheap furniture blankets (WAAAAY less expensive than bubble wrap and reusable... I've got about 20 of those blankets myself), then packing tape and seran wrap up the entire outside of the bundle. You'll basically be making a gun "pig-in-a-blanket" and it will be nice and easy to manage. Just keep your overall weight in mind when packing the guns into the blanket. I'm not sure if I'd want to lift a 200lb bundle of long guns too many times.

Hand guns? seran wrap again, wrap with a bath towel, and stuff in a suit case or duffel bag.

If you're moving a museum worth of guns, my method might be cumbersome, but your guns will come out perfect. I've shipped everything from guns to furniture to vintage speakers with that method and have never had the first issue. In fact, I don't even unload the equipment from my amplifier rack or even unwire it... I just seran wrap the whole thing and coat it with furniture blankets! :)

I moved from Ft. Carson, co.  to cleveland, ohio and took all my firearms with me, around 10 or 15 at the time.  I wrapped them up in  shipping blankets and put them in the trunk of my car. didn't need to take a lot of luggage, so that went in the back seat.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

If you have an address ahead of time where you know you will end up, shipping them to yourself is an option.

I wouldn't trust that option (sorry Cobra.. :( )

The contents of my safe, which is very modest, is the most dense accounting of investments that I own. I wouldn't want to count on a shipping service honoring their insurance if something bad happened. Plus, even with my modest collection, that would be about 150lbs of shipping weight... $$$$$

None of my business, but it may make a difference for you....IF you have any NFA stuff, the BATFE requires a shit pile of paperwork, (well, actually just one form that does two things) if you are moving from state to state.  They will also tell you you need their permission to just move next door, but there is nothing in statute form that says they have that right.  Just a thought.  Good luck where you end up.  HB of CJ (old coot)  Sometimes moving your guns is a good idea.  This happened to me way back in 1986 when we moved from Kommiefornika to SW OR. 

IF YOU HAVE NFA stuff; you may be screwed.  The interstate permission forms have been taking weeks to get back and I have no idea how long it may take with the slowdown.  What this means is the NFA stuff must remain behind until you get that all important permission slip from big brother. Kinda sounds like a version of an internal passport, does it not?  Seems to me they are restricting the right of liberty.  sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

If you have an address ahead of time where you know you will end up, shipping them to yourself is an option.

I wouldn't trust that option (sorry Cobra.. sad.png )

The contents of my safe, which is very modest, is the most dense accounting of investments that I own. I wouldn't want to count on a shipping service honoring their insurance if something bad happened. Plus, even with my modest collection, that would be about 150lbs of shipping weight... $$$$$

Oh trust me I would never use that option just because My guns only go where I go. Just mentioned it because it's an option nobody else I saw mention. Personally if it was me and I was having to move the safe anyway, there is no safer place for then than locked inside that safe. I would just make damn sure I was with that safe the whole way to where my destination was. I'd either rent and drive the truck myself or follow it if it was a moving company carrying the rest of my stuff. I don't trust them for squat.

• Like 1

Oh trust me I would never use that option just because My guns only go where I go. Just mentioned it because it's an option nobody else I saw mention. Personally if it was me and I was having to move the safe anyway, there is no safer place for then than locked inside that safe. I would just make damn sure I was with that safe the whole way to where my destination was. I'd either rent and drive the truck myself or follow it if it was a moving company carrying the rest of my stuff. I don't trust them for squat.

I got ya! It is another valid option! :)

I can't agree enough about renting a truck and rolling it myself if I needed to... I've never paid more than $200 for a 1 way u-haul for a day (and that was a big truck)... 24 hours can take a couple of drivers a LONG way!

• Like 2

Ronin, hate to hear about the lay off, I guess theres no one here of age that it hasnt happened to in the past ten years or so. A sucky time. I would go with personally moving them, only way I would feel comfy about it. When I was younger, I moved mine multiple times in my trunk, but that wouldn't be an option now as my collection od BB guns (;) ) has grown. But still...

Any idea on a job lead? What do you do and where are you thinking about...just thinking maybe a member might be able to give you a little info on the market if you had a notion of where you might land.

To me it would come down to where Im moving from and to and what is in between. If Im moving from TX to OK I would wrap em and transport. On the other hand, if there are any ban states in between Im shipping. Some ban states dont play around at all, Ive seen this happen once ---- "whats legal isnt or maybe it is whe arnt sure so we'll er and say its illegal". This happened to a guy in NJ who was transporting his NJ legal collection. He got 6-7 years

Convoy. 0200 hrs. Decoy vehicle with NRA and "Obama Sucks" stickers leading the way. Weapons carried in mobile home stolen from Vermont (it is apparently invisible). Rob's Wonderbread VW bus bringing up the rear with doors open and marijuana bonfire burning in the back. Godspeed.

• Like 1

Convoy. 0200 hrs. Decoy vehicle with NRA and "Obama Sucks" stickers leading the way. Weapons carried in mobile home stolen from Vermont (it is apparently invisible). Rob's Wonderbread VW bus bringing up the rear with doors open and marijuana bonfire burning in the back. Godspeed.

I second this method. It would honestly probably work lol

I second this method. It would honestly probably work lol

I once moved with my buddy running "blocker" in my black '91 Mustang GT for the 24' U-Haul.. It was as close to Smokey and the Bandit as I've ever gotten! :)

I had my guns in the cab of the uhaul and ammo/clips in the 'Stang.

• Like 1

Now, that's a plan!