Rifle shoulder straps??

I have a 16" Saiga .308 with the wooden sporter furniture. I have no intention of converting it. I like it as is. Different strokes, and all that.

The one thing I don't like is the rifle strap mounts. Darn European widths!

My goal would be, ultimately, to have the same leather strap on my Saiga as on my Garand, [and I have that type of leather one on 2 other rifles as well].

I don't carry/field it often, and I am not a 'tactical' guy. Target shooting, plinking, hunting: that type of stuff.

SO , does anyone make a narrower shoulder strap like the classic one on the Garand, but narrow enough for the Saiga's strap mounts?

OR, how do I convert the factory mounts to a wider version of strap mount to use standard US width straps/Slings?

If the wood furniture versions use the same sling mounts as the plastic furniture rifles, you shouldn't use the factory sling mounts because they are weak and will cause you to drop your rifle.  It should be possible to convert over to a US standard sling mount.  For a sling on my .308 I am using a Brownell's Latigo sling.  Best leather sling ever, available in a couple different widths.

If the wood furniture versions use the same sling mounts as the plastic furniture rifles, you shouldn't use the factory sling mounts because they are weak and will cause you to drop your rifle.  It should be possible to convert over to a US standard sling mount.  For a sling on my .308 I am using a Brownell's Latigo sling.  Best leather sling ever, available in a couple different widths.

Is there a simple 'bolt in' part that changes the sling mounts? or do I have to buy something and then threat an adaptor for the rifle? Any suggestions for the front end especially would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a simple 'bolt in' part that changes the sling mounts? or do I have to buy something and then threat an adaptor for the rifle? Any suggestions for the front end especially would be greatly appreciated.

In the plastic forend, there is an aluminum insert molded in where the sling mount is, to provide extra strength.  It's the factory hardware that is the weak point.  I found that the low profile nut used to hold the factory sling mount is close enough to 10-32 UNF thread to allow the use of US made sling hardware.  I make my own butt stocks, but it should be a simple matter of using one of the sling mounts with a wood screw thread.  Which may work with the wood forend, as well.  I haven't messed with the wood Saiga furniture so I just don't know.

I'm using just the regular Uncle Mikes hardware on my .308 with the Brownell's sling:

308redo5.jpg

It's referred to as a rifle "sling."  Those "mounts" on the rifle that you mentioned, are also referred to as "sling swivels" or at the very least, a "sling mounts".

The sling loops through the swivels, which attach to the mounts, which attach to the furniture.  029.gif