I just wanted make anyone who didn't know about this insanely additive drug aware of it. It's a drug that originated in Russia and has now found its way into the USA. I will add a description from Wikipedia and some pictures of its effects. (Warning: these pics are very disturbing!)

Desomorphine attracted attention in 2010 in Russia due to an increase in clandestine production, presumably due to its relatively simple synthesis from codeine. Reports of its use there date back to 2003. The drug is easily made from codeine, iodine and red phosphorus, in a process similar to the manufacture of methamphetamine from pseudoephedrine. Like methamphetamine, desomorphine made this way is often highly impure and is contaminated with various toxic and corrosive byproducts. The street name in Russia for homemade desomorphine is "krokodil" (Russian: крокодил, crocodile), reportedly due to the scale-like appearance of skin of its users and the derivation from chlorocodide. Due to difficulties in procuring heroin, combined with easy and cheap access to over-the-counter pharmacy products containing codeine in Russia, use of "krokodil" has increased. It has been estimated that around 100,000 people use krokodil in Russia and around 20,000 in Ukraine.

The high associated with krokodil is akin to that of heroin, but lasts a much shorter period. While the effects of heroin use can last four to eight hours, the effects of krokodil do not usually extend past one and a half hours, with the symptoms of withdrawal setting in soon after. Krokodil takes roughly 30 minutes to an hour to prepare with over-the-counter ingredients in a kitchen.

Since the homemade mix is routinely injected immediately with little or no further purification, "krokodil" has become notorious for producing severe tissue damage, phlebitis and gangrene, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users. Although there are not many addicts, their life expectancies are said to be as low as two years due to injecting drug users' high susceptibility to infections and gangrene.

Abuse of homemade desomorphine was first reported in middle and eastern Siberia in 2002, but has since spread throughout Russia and the neighboring former Soviet republics. One death in Poland in December 2011 was also believed to be caused by "krokodil" use, and its use has been confirmed among Russian expatriate communities in a number of other European countries.

Possibly the first discovery of use of the drug in the United States was reported by the Banner Poison Control Center in Phoenix, Arizona, in September 2013. In October 2013, numerous cases of krokodil-related hospitalizations were reported in Joliet, Illinois, 44 miles southwest of Chicago

post-34181-0-21515000-1382062699_thumb.jpg

post-34181-0-15021800-1382062711.jpg

post-34181-0-03502400-1382062729_thumb.jpg

post-34181-0-83232200-1382062738.jpg

post-34181-0-52711200-1382062747_thumb.jpg

I didn't believe this was actually true when I first heard about it. Its insane! Then we started learning a little bit about it in criminal Justice. The things people will do to get a high. Around here we have problems with meth. You see people with scabbed over wounds and open wounds all over their arms and face. But that is nothing compared to this!

• Like 1

This horrid shit is prevalent in russia because of the legal, over the counter sale of codeine and the high cost of heroin.  Over the last few years, the russian govt has taken notice made codeine a 'prescription only' substance in certain areas.  However, even if 'home cooks' cant get the pills they need, the black market can continue to keep it available, either the pills themselves, or the highly tainted 'assembled form' known as krokadil.  Since the russian mob is still alive and well, this money maker will not go unexploited.   

If junkies used pure desomorphine, it might as well be heroin (aweful addiction, moderate side effects).  When someone injects a  impure mixture of dissolved pills and household chemicals on a regular basis, they get bad, quick..  This shit does irreparable damage to every organ in the body and causes death incredibly fast.  

When you take an opiate junkie's determination and desperation to avoid an imminent, painful withdrawal, then add cheap access to something that works at the moment (even if its horrendously destructive), they will shoot it up and continue to do so.  This shit spreads like wildfire, and whether it rots them or not doesnt matter, they will do anything to keep from getting dope sick.

Speechless.

My brief experimentation (25 years ago, as a teen) with "crack" was scary enough. I realized how the "hard" drugs worked and stopped my experimenting. If the drug doesn't kill you, the lifestyle will (getting killed trying to "score"). They just want the money.

The "super-addictive" drugs open up a deep dark "pit" that most people never crawl out of.

It falls into the category of, "Hell on Earth".

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

This is the simple result of prohibition. If you make something illegal, and people still want it, they'll find ways to get it - this includes getting high. When the US made an attempt at alcohol prohibition, alcohol-related medical problems went through the roof as a result of home-made distillation - unsafe methods were used, often producing beverages contaminated with methanol and other nasty shit.

This shit contains red phosphorous. That's... insane. But, if someone is addicted to opiates, and this is what is available - they'll use it. Desomorphine is not responsible for these horrific injuries - it's the horrible shit that's used to prepare it, that is not being removed.

I understand the argument but...

Legalizing all drugs is not a good solution.

Do you want more people "using" just because it's more available at the 7-11?

There has to be a compromise.

A free treatment program for people using Krockodile would be a much better option.

The users probably suffer from underlying mental conditions that could be helped if the treatment facilities were available.

ObamaCare doesn't address people on the street, unless they apply.

I don't believe society would be better off by legalizing every destructive drug. There are some much less destructive drugs that could be managed by society. If they go underground to avoid taxation, then so be it.

Edited by Sim_Player

Sim player why do you think more people will use since its at the 7-11? I dont thinks theres many people that will decide to try meth since its for sale at the 7-11. People that are going to do these drugs are already doing them illegal or not.

Ask any young adult under the age of 20 whats harder to get weed coke meth or beer? They will tell you its much easier to go guy illegal drugs than legal ones. Thats because tyresse on the corner dont check IDs.

Your same logic can be applied to gun control "only single shot hunting guns could be "mananged by society" while evil semi auto military weapons should be keep out of the hands of any one as if they were hard drugs"

I would think that from a "business" standpoint, the mobsters and pushers would stay away from this one. They could make a lot more money off of an addict who will stay alive and addicted for the long-term, compared to these users who will be dead in a couple years or less.

Just bad business.

• Like 1

I would think that from a "business" standpoint, the mobsters and pushers would stay away from this one. They could make a lot more money off of an addict who will stay alive and addicted for the long-term, compared to these users who will be dead in a couple years or less.

Just bad business.

The reason it's taking hold out here in Chicago is we really have no organized crime anymore. After Daley bailed, all of his deals dissolved and its become an all-out disorganized war for the drug trade in Americas transportation hub. Honestly, so far most of us dont even care, because Rahm (or someone) is at least keeping the violence restricted to gangbangers and druggies.

With no overarching power controlling the drugs, there are hundreds of small timers pushing all kinds of crap now.

So far, im really only worried about violence crossing over. But for the people who see those pics and STILL put that shit in their body, ill cry more over my tax dollars being wasted to treat them.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 1

I understand the argument but...

Legalizing all drugs is not a good solution.

Do you want more people "using" just because it's more available at the 7-11?

There has to be a compromise.

A free treatment program for people using Krockodile would be a much better option.

The users probably suffer from underlying mental conditions that could be helped if the treatment facilities were available.

ObamaCare doesn't address people on the street, unless they apply.

I don't believe society would be better off by legalizing every destructive drug. There are some much less destructive drugs that could be managed by society. If they go underground to avoid taxation, then so be it.

The problem is government not liberty.

Nature has a way of culling the unfit.

Either we deal with that or remain slaves to the illusion of fixing things through government.

Name one, just one drug government has been successful in keeping from you should you really want it.

(Specifically one that gets people high, lets not go into the drugs that help people which they have been very successful in doing)

Now list the offenses perpetrated in that failed attempt.

Any questions?

We started seeing information on this in our EMS classes a few months ago when it was likely it would be coming to the US. I know this sounds harsh, but "Stupid is stupid does."

Population control at it's worst since most junkies using it die with in a couple years of horrible agonizing deaths.

No matter what the laws are or how dangerous drugs can be (X)% of the population will be drug addicts.  End of story, fact of life.  Legalize all drugs like Portugal did, crime goes down and drug use didn't increase, they still have (X)% of the population that are junkies, just like before they legalized drugs.