SGL12-09 SAIGA 12GA

Just purchased one of these from gunbroker.

(SGL12-09 SAIGA 12) Haven't even gotten it yet. When I paid for it and said I was happy the conversion was already done the seller told me it wasn't a conversion it was imported like that. Is this true? I thought that they couldn't be imported in the assault configuration?

Just purchased one of these from gunbroker.

(SGL12-09 SAIGA 12) Haven't even gotten it yet. When I paid for it and said I was happy the conversion was already done the seller told me it wasn't a conversion it was imported like that. Is this true? I thought that they couldn't be imported in the assault configuration?

True?  Yes!  Shotguns can now be imported with a pistol grip, hence Vepr-12.  Nice grab!  I need to ask, what did you pay?

I think you paid a fair price.  If I remember right before the panic the model was around $800-$850.  During the panic it skyrocketed to over $1200.  It's good to know prices are coming down.  

Here's a question, do you have to make this model 922r compliant before you use an 8 round magazine or more?  I'm thinking you do but I am always hesitant to give out advice that can get someone in trouble with the law.   

Edited:  MSRP before the panic was $899 so you did well at $950.  It's been slow here on the forum.  Go shoot it and let us know what you think.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1

Just purchased one of these from gunbroker.(SGL12-09 SAIGA 12) Haven't even gotten it yet. When I paid for it and said I was happy the conversion was already done the seller told me it wasn't a conversion it was imported like that. Is this true? I thought that they couldn't be imported in the assault configuration?

The SGL series is converted by FME and distributed by K-Var. It was not imported in its current configuration,and has a K-Var FCG.

Just purchased one of these from gunbroker.(SGL12-09 SAIGA 12) Haven't even gotten it yet. When I paid for it and said I was happy the conversion was already done the seller told me it wasn't a conversion it was imported like that. Is this true? I thought that they couldn't be imported in the assault configuration?

The SGL series is converted by FME and distributed by K-Var. It was not imported in its current configuration,and has a K-Var FCG.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is accurate information.   As far as I understand it, these shotguns come into the country in pistol grip configuration with all Russian parts, including the FCG.    All of them arrive in the SGL12-07 configuration.   FIME turns these into SGL12-08 & SGL12-09 by adding a U.S. hand guard to the '08 and a bit of rail to the '09.

This means that the 09 only has one U.S. part and you will need to swap out parts if you want to run anything larger than the stock 5 round magazine.    This has been posted on forums by KVAR, but unfortunately their descriptions on the website are sorely lacking.

They did have 922r compliant models last year, the SGL12-61 and SGL12-67 but they have not been available for some time.

Note: I am not an expert, KVAR employee or lawyer, so you will need to do your own research and confirm this, rather than taking some guy's advice on the internet.  

This thread covers this very topic and includes quotes KVAR posted by forum members.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/85493-us-made-parts-for-sgl12-07/

Edited by SGL

K-Vars website states specifically their sgl series rifles are remanufactured by the FIME group.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/SGL21-26_Series-7.62x39mm-Caliber-Russian-AK-47-Variant-Rifles

I think that's where the confusion lies.  He's talking about an SGL12 shotguns, not the SGL21 rifles.

To the best of my knowledge, while the rifles are compliant with any magazine, the SGL12-07, 08, & 09 need parts swapped out to use anything over 5 rounds. 

I think you might have just seen SGL12 and thought SGL21 automatically.

Call and speak with a company rep. I was told by them that they are not 922 compliant and parts need to be changed to allow for hicap mag usage. These do in fact come exactly like this from russia, no conversion is done to the shotguns.

I was stuck between this model and a V12 when they first arrived, i went with the V12 because it was only $100 more at the time and was considered superior in many ways for the money. I did go back and try to get one of these but they were already gone from K-var.

K-Vars website states specifically their sgl series rifles are remanufactured by the FIME group.http://www.k-var.com/shop/SGL21-26_Series-7.62x39mm-Caliber-Russian-AK-47-Variant-Rifles

I think that's where the confusion lies.  He's talking about an SGL12 shotguns, not the SGL21 rifles.To the best of my knowledge, while the rifles are compliant with any magazine, the SGL12-07, 08, & 09 need parts swapped out to use anything over 5 rounds.  I think you might have just seen SGL12 and thought SGL21 automatically.
I've owned a SGL12-09 and sold it to a good friend. It had a US made K-Var FCG, foreign butt stock, and at the time K-Var had the same FIME built BS on their website.

They are known to be dishonest in representing their firearms. There is some debate on how they actually do it. Some think they come in like this, I don't. I believe they come "empty". Ready to be finished like this to escape any hassle. But who really knows.

• Like 1

Yes the included magazine is Russian but that alone isn't enough. It is not how many US parts you have but how many parts from the 922r list are foreign (replacing a Russian hand guard for a Chinese one doesn't help). The easiest changes that you should do are FCG 3 parts and the gas piston (puck) 1 part that knockoff 4 parts. Replace the magazine with an American one and that is three more parts. You want to end up with a S12 that meets compliance with or withou a foreign magazine. There is a sticky on 922r it will answer all your questions.

• Like 1