20" Vepr 308-02 square-back.... on sale at $599

The only drawback I can see is the "unfinished" wood furniture, I suspect the sale ones have damaged wood pieces, hence the sale. That won't bother me a bit though, I plan to install poly handguard and folding stock anyway, so the wood won't stay on the rifle.

IMO if they wan to keep the Vepr as a hunting rifle with wood stock, the slant back design is indeed better for installing a wood stock. The square back style wood stock probably won't be too durable, at least on the heavy recoil models.  

The $599 price is about as good as it has ever been on a 308 Vepr, it was too difficult to resist so I ordered one....super_man.gif

Edited by guncats

lol my eyes didn't catch this:

PLEASE NOTE: Stocks and forend are unfinished,
incomplete and may be cracked or broken.

Even though it's bold and red...

As long as the rifle itself is in fine condition then that's perfect.  New furniture would be one of the many items on the to-do list for that rifle anyway.

I couldn't resist... I caved and ordered one - CC fees be damned, lol. The free shipping makes up for it... I think.   smile.png 

Just checking though - the VEPR 20" 308-02's *are* chrome lined, correct?

It was my impression all VEPR barrels are chrome lined, but just clarifying. I would think the *only* real difference in the 308-01 and the 308-02 would be the integrated rear sight and gas block, yes?

Thanks All - Can't wait to get it... crappy stock/forearm and all, lol.  biggrin.png

Edited by Badmo

Mine came in yesterday. The stocks are exactly as they said - pretty rough... but in all reality, they could be easily cleaned up. Mine was actually not even finished being carved, lol.

The good news on my stocks: The foreend was actually in decent usable shape. No cracks, knot holes, or anything of the like.

The bad on the stocks: The rear stock was literally not finished being carved. It had the basic shape, but lots of extra material on it. When they said unfinished, I thought they meant the finish itself that is applied to the rifle - Nope, they meant UNFINISHED, as in not completely done, haha.

Another concern with the rear stock is that when combined with the straight back, there is an area directly attached to the corner that is literally so thin it looks like a stiff wind would separate it into two parts. It does appear as if it could break *very* easily.

The rifle itself had *excellent* fit and finish, both inside and out. I do believe it's the best 600 dollar purchase I have made in quite some time. I can't wait to put some time and a bit of cash into it to make it exactly what I want.

All in all, a good deal. Very pleased. Although the rear stock seriously looked like it could have been whittled by hand, haha.

Can't wait to get it out to the range though! Will post pics once I get her finished up.  :)

picked up mine today.

The thing is surprisingly light, well balanced I guess, feels about the same weight as a x39 ak.

Metal finishing/machining is good, a little better than my S-12.

Wood wise, the handguard is in "almost done" condition just needing light sanding and final finishing. The stock has nice grain on one side, does have a couple of small knots (one will requires a little filling).  It already has the basic shape, shouldn't need too much sanding if I want to finish it. BUT!... there is no butt plate and grip plate..... Anybody know where I can get them from?

I received my vepr last Wednesday couldn't pass up the price and the free shipping and the rear stock was finished .but i shot it today and it crack .

Probably why Molot doesn't want to use square back receiver any more. 

Edited by guncats

Deal alert..... (though not a Vepr)

JGSales has Zastava M77PS with three 10rd mags for $599. This is the 20" 308 caliber with thumbhole stock.  The lowest price I have seen on a M77PS, especially when you consider it will come with 3 mags ( normally two).

http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-m77ps-pap-ak-rpk-style-rifle,-308,-with-black-synthetic-stock,-3-mags.-p-63103.html

The good:

-- two position adjustable gas.

-- Yugo style heavy build, nice hot blue finish.

The not so good:

--  bore is not chrome-lined.

-- Yugo scope rail, AK side-mount might not fit without modification.

-- slant back receiver, more modification will be needed if you want to install something else, say, a folding stock.

I have seen these, and they look pretty neat. They have an adjustable gas system too. I don't think the non-chrome issue would be a problem for about 99.9% of users. The only .308 I am familiar with being corrosive is some old 80's Sellier and Bellot, and some Norinco 7.62x51. The stock looks very similar to a Mak 90 with the angular gut, so maybe a Mak 90 stock would work??

Deal alert..... (though not a Vepr)

JGSales has Zastava M77PS with three 10rd mags for $599. This is the 20" 308 caliber with thumbhole stock.  The lowest price I have seen on a M77PS, especially when you consider it will come with 3 mags ( normally two).

http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-m77ps-pap-ak-rpk-style-rifle,-308,-with-black-synthetic-stock,-3-mags.-p-63103.html

The good:

-- two position adjustable gas.

-- Yugo style heavy build, nice hot blue finish.

The not so good:

--  bore is not chrome-lined.

-- Yugo scope rail, AK side-mount might not fit without modification.

-- slant back receiver, more modification will be needed if you want to install something else, say, a folding stock.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice! Last I checked looked like they're out. Here's what I got! Like that stock?

4c1723b9-dc05-4d1e-b369-611e041cae92_zps

If the sun comes out hope to take it out this weekend. Need to shoot it as-is before I begin the transformation.

Edited by Nev

Got mine ordered yesterday, snuck in at $599

Show a pict when it comes in. Want to see what yours looks like. wink.png

Looks like Centerfire is out of VEPRS not taking orders except for the .223 which are backordered.

Some more here?

http://www.mach1arsenal.com/index.php/products/rifles.html

Edited by Nev
  • 4 weeks later...

Work in progress:

55E66543-AFD1-4579-B529-529760A7383D_zps

F895C005-4297-45F4-B12B-E929A98AC015_zps

Happy. But wondering how out of 922r compliancy I am. And what to do for a hand guard. Happy.

You are establishing a will to comply with 922r.  I don't think they'll be knocking on your door, it would look bad in court to prosecute someone before they even have a chance to put on enough parts to be good to go.  Key words being for you "Work in progress".

Anyway.  I have a 02 that I put a handguard on to match from Ronin's Grips.

Have a look.

gallery_33361_710_1303573.jpg