What are you guys cleaning your V12 with?

So I've got two V12's and I want to clean them before testing at the range.  What is every one using as a solvent?  I read (on here?) that I can't use Break Free Powder Blast on my SGL21, it will strip the paint off.  CLP is the way to go.  Is this the case with Vepr 12's? 

Id use whatever. Just dont get it on the outside. The gas system is the main parts to clean and the bore.

And hoppes has and will always be what I use on everything. The smell reminds me of my childhood cleaning guns with my dad.

• Like 1

If it is naked i would suggest trying frog lube paste. The stiff is nontoxic, food grade, edible, but more importantly it dries on and leaves a dry lube film that is great for friction reduction without a residue. I do not buy into all the fluff of most brands, but frog lube works great phenomenally as a dry lube.

I've never cleaned it because I wanna see how reliable it will run since it's an Kalishnakov AK design. It doesn't require lube, so do not get anal about keep her wet. Just like Jim Fuller said, "If it runs dry, it will run wet." The only thing i've done is wiped the puck down with a rag. If i ever do decide to clean, I will use FIRECLEAN, simply the best hands down.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've got two V12's and I want to clean them before testing at the range.  What is every one using as a solvent?  I read (on here?) that I can't use Break Free Powder Blast on my SGL21, it will strip the paint off.  CLP is the way to go.  Is this the case with Vepr 12's? 

I use CLP to clean insides, Hoppe's 9 solvent and then Hoppe's 9 gun oil for the bore. On rails I put some "Jardine's Extreme" grease. And in the gas chamber I usually very lightly lube with some moly grease. Runs smooth and fine. I think I'm overdoing things though :-).

• 2 months later...

Hoppe's 9. It's cheap. It's everywhere. It works.

I also use the hoppes 12 ga bore snake. I love their bore snakes. Use them for all my guns. One or two passes and it's factory clean. Gotta love chrome lined barrels.

Edited by S12KS-K
  • 1 month later...

I use CLP to clean insides, Hoppe's 9 solvent and then Hoppe's 9 gun oil for the bore. On rails I put some "Jardine's Extreme" grease. And in the gas chamber I usually very lightly lube with some moly grease. Runs smooth and fine. I think I'm overdoing things though :-).

Amen

If it is naked i would suggest trying frog lube paste. The stiff is nontoxic, food grade, edible, but more importantly it dries on and leaves a dry lube film that is great for friction reduction without a residue. I do not buy into all the fluff of most brands, but frog lube works great phenomenally as a dry lube.

amen

• 1 month later...

We'll DONT use brake clean! Lol the reciever didn't mind but the folding stock hinge washed off like dirty motor oil.

I just read your post and had to laugh.  I used brake cleaner on my bolt carrier and recoil rod this weekend, and the paint melted off.  I don't know what kind of cheap as paint they use in Russia.  Good thing I did not use it on the receiver.