Saiga mags are normal AK mags, but with an added tab at the front to act as a feed ramp for the rounds.

Adding a bullet guide will allow you to use any standard AK mag, including various five or ten round mags that are much cheaper than Saiga mags.

After adding a bullet guide, you will not be able to use your Saiga specific mags unless yoh remove the feed tab from the front of those mags. The tab will hit the bottom of the bullet guide while inserting the mag.

Also no offense but you live in Manhattan. You're already fucked if SHTF. Where do you plan to run into a stash of standard capacity AK mags in NYC?

I also live on Long Island wink.png

I am limited to 10 round mags; do the AK mags come in 10 rounders?

Good place to get them? Stick with factory mags correct?

O.P. Which bear ammo are you using? I know a lot of places stopped carrying brown bear because of issues.

I agree actually

I tried different Bear steel case and I think that may have been part of the issue

I think lots of guys hit on many issues that probably all explain the unexlainable

Fast production at factory, guns messed with by someone, etc.

Knew four bad ones was near impossible

I guess Long Island is a bit of a step up, at least most of the trees were not planted.

There are quite a few manufacturers of five and ten round standard AK mags, including Tapco.

Next time you make it to the range, try this.  Shoot a 10rnd string while pushing the magazine forward, do another while pulling it rearward.  Pushing it will feel a bit odd, and pulling will feel more natural, steady consistent pressure throughout the strings.  If you find that while pushing all rounds feed and while pulling you get jams (or vice versa) you will determine whether or not magazine angle has anything to do with the malfunctions.  

Im still dubious but everything he mentioned is documented on this forum.

We know for a certainty the 223 and 308 bolt can mar ammo if not polished. It aint hard nor a big deal and the pics are plentiful.

We know there is a break-in period on all these rifles of at least a couple hundred rounds preferably with steel case ammo.

We also know of the dink on cases on ejection with various solutions.

What more can be offered?

Im still dubious but everything he mentioned is documented on this forum.

We know for a certainty the 223 and 308 bolt can mar ammo if not polished. It aint hard nor a big deal and the pics are plentiful.

We know there is a break-in period on all these rifles of at least a couple hundred rounds preferably with steel case ammo.

We also know of the dink on cases on ejection with various solutions.

What more can be offered?

Point well taken ! But I really do not understand just  what his problem is. That is why I asked him to video the gun or gun's he is having trouble with.

A picture says a 1000 words but video tells it all. I bet once you see a video you will know what is wrong and  give this guy a hand.

I live near him and have checked out the 7.62, the problems with that was two fold. One whoever modified the mag catch to accept ak mags hacked it with a hacksaw and cut too much off so the back of the mags were hanging low. I had him order an ak mag catch that I installed. It fed fine by hand but there was a possible other issue. It had a weld bead bullet guide that was probably pushing the rounds too high. We never got to fix that because he returned the gun. As far as the 308 he never told me about any problems with that and the only work I helped him on that one was modifying the trigger to get rid of the second stage. I tried tiger him to go to the range with me but our schedules are very different.

Edited by Mopar14889

I live near him and have checked out the 7.62, the problems with that was two fold. One whoever modified the mag catch to accept ak mags hacked it with a hacksaw and cut too much off so the back of the mags were hanging low. I had him order an ak mag catch that I installed. It fed fine by hand but there was a possible other issue. It had a weld bead bullet guide that was probably pushing the rounds too high. We never got to fix that because he returned the gun. As far as the 308 he never told me about any problems with that and the only work I helped him on that one was modifying the trigger to get rid of the second stage. I tried tiger him to go to the range with me but our schedules are very different.

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

• Like 1

Update:

I did purchase a replacement brand-new 7.62. Fired off 200 rounds, through all 10 magazines I own, it shoots perfectly, no jams.

Now I have a 7.62 and a 223 that are shooting perfectly.

The 308 is still jamming; that will be addressed next.

Once the 308 is fixed, I will post it, and meanwhile want to thank you all for your input.