Is it just me or is my saiga heavy

My converted saiga 7.62x39 with tapco furniture and muzzle adapter and 74 brake with a 30 round mag is 10.4 lbs roughly. I have no problem shooting it or holding it steady, just comparing it to my wifes 74 and my dads ar 15 it seems like a complete glutton. The real kicker is when I pick up my dads fn fal, it really does not seem any heavier than my ak with a 30 round mag.

What are you guys weighing in at, no optics just irons on your rifles, all my furniture is poly as well.

I had a 13.5 lb. double barreled 10 ga., without the two shells.haha.gif 

I can't comment on the saiga 7.62 because I don't have one, but my S12 is 10.6 with ten rounds of 00 Buckshot. My scoped, hbar 16" Del-Ton AR15 with cleaning kit, A2 stock, and bipod is 10.4 lbs. with NO MAG. I know the scope is heavy, about 1 3/4 lbs. including the base. I can lighten that up quite a bit VERY quickly. Stripped with a carry handle rear sight it's right around 7.6 lbs with a 20 round Pmag.

I think it's just you.

Really, though most battle type rifles are designed heavy to absorb recoil of rapid firing. Hell, even my unmodified Norinco SKS with 10 rounds of 7.62x39 and spike bayonet is 9 lbs even.

It is a real 74 zig zag brake that I had milled out to 7.62,sacrileage yes but it is highly effective, The tapco stock, pg and handguard is pretty much all polymer, they dont weight anything. I guess when it all comes down to it it is ammo, empty it really is not much heavier than the 74 but add the magazines and the difference is huge, at least to me. Rifles seem to be like hiking packs, those extra ounces make all the difference.

Not complaining just wondering what others are weighing in at.

My saiga 308 is a heavy bitch.

I have no doubt it is, now imagine that in the vepr in 308 or x54r, like morbidly obese bitch at that point. I held a vepr in 5.45 and could not believe the extra heft from the rpk receiver and barrel.

Edited by dashowdy

Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov thinks your pussy is bleeding.

I've no problem with my 7.62x39, I stalk hogs in the swamp with it, no problems with weight.

On the other hand, my Saiga.308-ver.21 is so damned heavy, I'm actually trying to sell it.

• Like 1

My x39 with a 20" bbl comes in empty w/ no mag at 7.5 lbs, and with a 30 rd mag taped to it, its at 9.1 lbs. I had to tape it since I havent filed the catch yet. 

My Vepr 12 empty comes in at 7.6 lbs. with no mag, and w/ a 12 rd mag with Hornady buckshot, its at 9.4 lbs.

My Arsenal SGL 31-62 is at 7.6 lbs empty with no mount, and 8.6 lbs. with a loaded mag, and 9.7 with a mount and reflex.

My Vepr 5.45 is in at 8.5 lbs. unloaded in standard config, and 9.8 with a loaded mag.

I used my fish scale for these, but they should be pretty close to an actual reading, give or take a few ounces.

If the weight is an issue, then theres really nothing we can say, other than to accept it. Its the nature of the beast. Its not really an issue for me, but others may find it to be one.

Edited by Captain Hero

Captain I am amazed at the weight difference between the vepr 12 and 5.45 unloaded, I figured the vepr shotgun would be heavier than the 5.45 for sure.

official measurement with my 30 round bulgarians is 9.6 lbs. the other scale needs some calibration.

My Saiga 7.62, using an analog scale, weighs in around 6.25 lbs empty, and 7.25 lbs with a loaded steel 30-rounder. With an Arsenal 5-rounder and Tapco 10-rounder, it seems to weight 6.75 lbs for both, so 5 extra rounds doesn't seem to be too drastic of a change. It wears a Midwest Industries quad rail, AFG2, K-Var NATO-length stock, and at times, a Midwest Industries 30mm side mount with a Vortex Strike Fire inside. Everything with the Vortex weighs about 1.25 lbs more. Stresses the importance behind a lighter optic, I guess. Might throw a Trijicon RMR on there one of these days.

This is the exact same setup as on my SGL-21, sans handguard retainers and muzzle brake. I carry it around in the woods quite often with the Tapco 10-rounder and no optic. It's not bad at all. Carrying my Savage .30-06, weighing in at 4.5 lbs loaded, is a bit more pleasant, though.

Edited by Inebriated

My 5.45 Saiga is really light with a wood but-stock.

My x39 Saiga is pretty heavy with the Tantal side-folder.

I have a .308 CETME that weights 9 lbs empty.

On the plus side, a heavy rifle recoils better.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll have to weigh mine later.

But I have x39 with a POSP 4x, Chaos Mini Quad, Bonesteel adapter and Galil-style folder and I feel like it's probably too heavy to pack to hell and back and not feel like it's too much weight. Sure, it's fine at the range, but my ARs both make it feel like a pig.

Mine doesn't really feel heavy, but I'm tossing 50lb boxes around for 4-6hrs at work everyday anyways.

Comparing the dry weights of rifles is apples to oranges.  ARs are mostly aluminum/plastic, AKs are mostly steel/wood.  Now you want some serious weight, slap a loaded 75 or 100 rnd drum in that Saiga and lug it around.  haha.gif

My 5.56 AR15 weighs under 5#, no mag no optic. I expect my 300BLK AR15 to weight 6-7#, but thats an SPR build.

Saigas are heavy, inaccurate, un-ergonomic. But they fire every time and can hit a man-sized target at typical ranges with a 30 cal bullet for under 25 cents a shot. If thats what you want in a rifle, you just need to get used to the weight.