BR-99 vs MKA 1919 - Test firing UPDATE

Ehh true about the plastic, forgot about that.  You can mill it with a cnc instead then.  You can also mill it with a standard vertical mill but it's not as accurate, you'll need to watch that.

As for the broaching of forged lowers, as far as I was told, they use a Wire EDM, so you still might be right.  The broaches I've seen are basically a different kind of reamer.  This would get you the final radius you see on the four rounded corners on the inside of the magwell.

Again I'm a machining student so I'm still learning.  Just trying to hopefully give him something he might be able to work with to solve the problem.

Yeah they still have to do some different type of "machine process" to get the general mag-well hole punched out, you don't go from a solid 0% lower to a broached mag-well in one step.

They may wire EDM they may use a CNC Vertical, it all depends on what is fastest and most cost effective for a particular shop to do. Either process would work fine to get the majority

of the material out, and I suppose they could CNC Wire EDM to final shape because wire EDM is very precise. I'm not sure how fast it is, we didn't have a wire EDM when I went to

machinist school just a regular Ram EDM. 

Like I said above, I hope I didn't come off as an ass, that certainly was not my intention! 

Initial set up cost would be expensive either way, but I'm just taking a guess here, in T6 Alloy that broach will last for tens of thousands of broachings, where as with that

wire EDM it's always chewing up wire as a consumable.  I wish I would have got to play with a CNC Wire EDM in school. I had the "Old School" Teacher who believed that

we needed a solid foundation in manual machining skills. I never got to delve into CNC in school but I play with CAD at home, so at tax time I think I am finally adding a CNC

Mill to my tool collection. It will be a small table top, probably the Horrible Freight Micro Mini Mill that I can use to do manual stuff (80% lowers) and then "tinker" with CNC smile.png

Nah I know ass when I read what one posts.  You were being informative, you're fine.  I learned something new which is always helpful.

I have an old school instructor myself, he starts us out on manual machining equipment but has us transition over to the new stuff.  Most students that are serious about graduating don't leave the class without hands on experience in  CNC Lathe, CNC Mill, Wire EDM and now operating a press.  We also have to have 40 hours of hands on welding experience.

We currently have 2 CNC mills, 1 CNC Lathe, a wire EDM, a 75 ton press with light curtains and those are the highlights I guess you could say.

My instructor wants me to be certified in CNC milling.  I'm hoping to be certified in CNC Milling, wire EDM and press operations by the time I'm done.  I've already been certified in materials, measurements and safety.

So I'm getting there.  Much more to learn and it's a career path that no one ever really can know everything, the field is too big for that.

Back when I graduated there were still Manual Lathe and Mill positions in the work force, CNC hadn't yet taken over :)  We did have 2 CNC's on my side of the shop

there were two teachers under one roof and the shop was split. We had a J Head Bridgeport CNC conversion and a small Enco CNC Lathe. 

It was funny because our very first day of class we learned how to make our own lathe bits from HSS. My teacher was REALY old school! He had a black and white

photo in his office of a steam powered machine shop (overhead belts and all). He was one hell of a guy though!  I sure did learn a lot!

But today it's all CNC! So you are either an Operator or a Programmer, most shops still keep some manual stuff around for when they need something done "now" and

don't have time or the need to write code. But by far, finding skilled manual machinists is probably getting hard these days.

I decided that wasn't the field I wanted to work in, so I've been in the IT field coming up on 20 years, but I always keep my ear to the ground with machining and I've

wanted my own basement equipment forever!

Sounds like you are well on your way to a great career!

Thanks I really enjoy it.  I ended up helping a fellow student with our CNC mill today (Haas TM 1).  I had to refer him to a book that has notes on G and M codes.  We also have a Bridgeport CNC of some sort I forget.  Unfortunately it's based on DOS and has little memory available for usage.  The CNC lathe is also a Haas.

Our Wire EDM is a Charmilles (Model I can't remember, it's older but it works well despite being temperamental.)

We have several manual vert mills and manual lathes.  I don't see those going anywhere though, they allow students to progressively learn the basics without throwing them in to programming at the same time.  lol

I will probably be a programmer myself.  I don't like settling on running something, I want to be able to tell it something like a CNC mill what I want it to do, bend it to my will, if you will.

My cousin was a computer guy, good field to be in.  Getting your pc fixed ain't cheap. lol

• Like 1