I'm not a AR expert or fanboy but I've always wanted a Colt. I have a chance to pick up a new Colt 6920 which is supposed to be of identical quality and specs to the military issue, minus the FA and barrel length.It's a basic model without the carry handle. I don't have time to do a lot of research. $1099 seems cheap to me. Is this a good price in today's market?

6920...  go for it.  $1099 seems like an average "good" price now -- have not seen many lower except on gunbroker.  You won't go wrong with a Colt AR.

Edit: have been looking around -- check this out >  http://dsgarms.com/productinfo/co6920.aspx

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920

Edited by Odd Man Out

That's a square deal. You wont ever loose any money on it if you take care of her. It's not a smoking deal or a bargain but it is fair.

Have fun and remember SPORTS!

Slap

Pull

Observe

Release

Tap

Squeeze!

Sometimes there will be a lot of tapping and swearing. I disliked all my issued 5.56 rifles.

• Like 2

6920...  go for it.  $1099 seems like an average "good" price now -- have not seen many lower except on gunbroker.  You won't go wrong with a Colt AR.

Edit: have been looking around -- check this out >  http://dsgarms.com/productinfo/co6920.aspx

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920

Thanks. Thats a better deal but they're out of stock at the moment.

Check your local wally world too. I have seen them brand new for 1049.

I had heard about Walmart having them but none seem to in this area.

That's a square deal. You wont ever loose any money on it if you take care of her. It's not a smoking deal or a bargain but it is fair.

That's about what I figured and thats all I want is a fair deal. I think I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow.

• Like 2

LIke others have said, you can't go wrong with a Colt AR, and that is a fair price. If you "always wanted a Colt", then you should jump on that. If you want a solid AR, there are other options for less than $600, and will shoot just as good and be just as reliable.

That's a square deal. You wont ever loose any money on it if you take care of her.

Slap

Pull

Observe

Release

Tap

Squeeze!

Sometimes there will be a lot of tapping and swearing.

Good advice to apply in other parts of your life as well.

Slap (her ass)

Pull (her hair)

Observe (her response)

Release (if response is negative)

Tap (repeatedly)

Squeeze (whatever you get your grubby hands on)

Sometimes there will be a lot of tapping and swearing. (who doesn't like dirty pillow talk)

• Like 2

That's a square deal. You wont ever loose any money on it if you take care of her.

Slap

Pull

Observe

Release

Tap

Squeeze!

Sometimes there will be a lot of tapping and swearing.

Good advice to apply in other parts of your life as well.

Slap (her ass)

Pull (her hair)

Observe (her response)

Release (if response is negative)

Tap (repeatedly)

Squeeze (whatever you get your grubby hands on)

Sometimes there will be a lot of tapping and swearing. (who doesn't like dirty pillow talk)

Now that's comedy...thanks for the laugh!

I detested every single one Uncle put in my hands and they were all Colts.

Guess its all relative.

Good luck with the rifle man 

They have certainly had some shortcomings as a battle rifle but I can't speak directly to that. I don't ever expect to run mine in those condition nor will it be a first choice for home defense unless and until I get a lot of rounds through it and decide it is suited for that. It's highly unlikely it will ever replace an AK based weapon for that. For now it's just kind of a novelty.

The only AR I now own is a Colt 6920 and she runs fine dry.  I was actually considering earlier this week selling it and getting a Ruger SR556 instead simply because I don't like the DI system.  Don't know yet.  If I do, It would mean selling either an SLR or SGL since I like to buy my rifles in pairs so that the wife can shoot along with me.  The Colt was my return  into the AR world and I only bought it because an ATF agent suggested it to me when I shared my earlier AR nightmare story.  I have to admit, the agent was right.  It has been reliable and has never jammed.  

I have an older Colt SP1.  Wouldn't mind having forward assist on it, and full push pin takedown. 

If it has the notched hammer, replace it with an unnotched one.  That old slam fire prevention system would tear up the bottom of the bolt carrier and firing pin, and make things unreliable.

Also, don't use any lube on the inside of the carrier or stem of the bolt.  It will catch carbon like crazy and bake solid.

And stay away from .22LR subcaliber adapters.  They can clog up gas tubes with lead.  We had to clean out the A1's with a 30 rnd mag of ball on full auto to clean the tubes out after adapter use.  But did have fun cleaning them out to the state ammunition officer's chagrin for trashing his ammo forcast!  But it was "by the book!"

The only AR I now own is a Colt 6920 and she runs fine dry.  I was actually considering earlier this week selling it and getting a Ruger SR556 instead simply because I don't like the DI system.  Don't know yet.  If I do, It would mean selling either an SLR or SGL since I like to buy my rifles in pairs so that the wife can shoot along with me.  The Colt was my return  into the AR world and I only bought it because an ATF agent suggested it to me when I shared my earlier AR nightmare story.  I have to admit, the agent was right.  It has been reliable and has never jammed.  

You are going to want to watch this one closely on the Ruger. YMMV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjsTJvlGV9k

I sold off all of my AR's several years back when I got hooked on Saiga AK rifles. At the time Saiga rifles were much cheaper and go bang every time so the decision was easy. I bought and built up a couple Saiga rifles for the price of one AR. Now the coin has flipped to a certain degree and AR rifles are cheaper to build than Saiga and converting.

My son decided he's an AR guy so we found one for him before that scare. It's a Colt upper on a Rock River lower, and it runs fine for an AR. Just last week I picked up a lower because the price was to good to say no to, and as I posted previously I'm thinking hard about doing something other than 5.56 with it. I doubt it'll get as much range time as my AK collection, but with Saiga and VEPR availablity being some what limited for what I would buy, I need a project and this AR build will fit that niche for me.

As far as AR's go resale on a Colt will always be there because of it's pedigree. Is it any better than franken AR builds? Well, that all depends on the builder just like AK rifles. Right now you can build a basic M4 style AR for $550-$650 depending on where you get parts and shipping. 5.56 is averaging $450 ish. So in theory you can build the rifle and buy 1000 rounds of ammo for the same price as the Colt. That goes along way for some folks on tight budgets. If you are can afford to buy or keep a Colt you probably should for investment and shooting. If you are on a budget or never plan to sell go for the Franken AR and ammo.

Actually the trigger wasnt even the main issue, it can after all is said be made right.

But what it says about the designers of the weapon may explain what was seen when the rifle was muddied.

Just noting it was never intended to be sold as a battle ready  rifle does not resolve the issues.

What is an AR after all if not an MBR? 

Now a NIB Saiga is not a battle ready rifle to be sure but the path to that use is well documented and easily obtained. But thats because within it lives the consummate MBR of our times.

What on earth would one do to achieve this with this rifle? I just dont know.

I sold off all of my AR's several years back when I got hooked on Saiga AK rifles. At the time Saiga rifles were much cheaper and go bang every time so the decision was easy. I bought and built up a couple Saiga rifles for the price of one AR. Now the coin has flipped to a certain degree and AR rifles are cheaper to build than Saiga and converting.

My son decided he's an AR guy so we found one for him before that scare. It's a Colt upper on a Rock River lower, and it runs fine for an AR. Just last week I picked up a lower because the price was to good to say no to, and as I posted previously I'm thinking hard about doing something other than 5.56 with it. I doubt it'll get as much range time as my AK collection, but with Saiga and VEPR availablity being some what limited for what I would buy, I need a project and this AR build will fit that niche for me.

As far as AR's go resale on a Colt will always be there because of it's pedigree. Is it any better than franken AR builds? Well, that all depends on the builder just like AK rifles. Right now you can build a basic M4 style AR for $550-$650 depending on where you get parts and shipping. 5.56 is averaging $450 ish. So in theory you can build the rifle and buy 1000 rounds of ammo for the same price as the Colt. That goes along way for some folks on tight budgets. If you are can afford to buy or keep a Colt you probably should for investment and shooting. If you are on a budget or never plan to sell go for the Franken AR and ammo.

Since I'm a "both" guy, this is why I want to sell my Colt and build a franken AR.  PSA has blem lowers for $50 this weekend and I'm sure if I looked, I could find a non blem at close to the same.  PSA is sending me build kit ad's every weekend and any one of those uppers would do the trick.  My Rock River is staying for sure.  So if I can get decent cash outta the colt, I could build said franken AR and pick up an AK with very little outta pocket.  My son's PSA upper goes bang every time we pull the trigger, so I think this is the answer to a couple of different wants I have.

Actually the trigger wasnt even the main issue, it can after all is said be made right.

But what it says about the designers of the weapon may explain what was seen when the rifle was muddied.

Just noting it was never intended to be sold as a battle ready  rifle does not resolve the issues.

Now a NIB Saiga is not a battle ready rifle to be sure but the path to that use is well documented and easily obtained. But thats because within it lives the consummate MBR of our times.

Yeah, its' just that I don't want to buy a brand new $2000 rifle only to send it out for a trigger job because it sucks out of the box.  But that's just me.

Yeah, its' just that I don't want to buy a brand new $2000 rifle only to send it out for a trigger job because it sucks out of the box.  But that's just me.

I've never bought a 2k weapon.  But if I did, it had better be battle ready.

• Like 1