I'd love to have a thermal sight but cost has always been out of reach for something I don't "have to have".

I'll admit I haven't deeply researched this topic or followed the price/quality, but in my recent prepping fervor I started thinking it might be worthwhile.

Anybody have experience with the civvie units?

And yes, I know thermal sights don't work on zombies.

Me too. They are still very expensive and bulky. Another thing to consider is battery power, I dont know for sure but I bet those suckers use a lot of juice. Maybe try to find one that can run off 18650 batteries and recharge it with a solar panel?

Yep.

Between the initial cost (which bars having multiple replacement units handy) and the battery issues, they are not practical.

I like the idea about the solar panel though.

I have seen units for under $4k.  Of course there are other priorities so probably won't get to the point where I have $4k free.  Maybe if I sold a few things.

There is a huge difference between night vision and thermal.  I have used both and thermal is a different animal.  I have gen 2 night vision.  Had a gen 3 unit for a while but sold it.  Never used any civie thermal though.  I am curious just how good it is.

I've got a NASA surplus thermal camera.  If you tune it right, you can look through just about anything.  Each material has a slightly different thermal frequency in the 10.7 um band.

Would be nice for counter-sniper/intellegence work around the bunker.  But then with IR area lights, you can blind their NV equipment....unless they're thermal.

Nice score on the surplus unit, used to be a lot of fun seeing what you could get in auctions.

Got some cool stuff but nothing as cool as that sounds.  

Edit:

Thermal is just so low res Im sure most of the expense is signal processing. Though I will bet there is a way to build a simple detector fairly cheap. Now look what ya got me doing...

​Basically all any of them are doing is shifting the image bandwidth from invisible to to visible range. Whats fun is to use the IR to see which helicopters are using IR sources as they fly over head. 

Edited by Rhodes1968

I've played around with thermal sights a bit and the biggest problem in civilian hands is you can't identify your target like you can with normal night vision.  So in order to shoot something, you need to be sure that what you're looking at is alright to shoot.

Much of the cost is imageing software.  Making perfect indium arsenide CCD sensors is a very hard task.  Each sensor is different in the number and locations of dead pixels, and the software has to be fine tunned for each sensor.  Hence the monsterous price tag.  The zinc selenide optics are also very expensive.

The worst thing about them is the optics!  Smash the lens, and it's time to be VERY AFRAID!  Zinc selenide is very poisonous and also a cumulative poison that doesn't leave the body.  So if you break it, scratch it, or whatever, drop the weapon and run like hell!  (good reason to use the QD sidemount that your AK has)

We use IR emitters and IR/BW cameras all the time backstage for automation safety, and for the stage manager calling cues.  In some situations, we could see through velour drops/curtains and see the crew/actors behind them.  You'd be surprized how cheap crappy B&W CCTV cameras can pick up in IR situations.  Couple that with an old eyepiece monitor off a camera, and you have your own NV scope.

Get a used Elcan Specter IR scope. Elcan is Raytheon out of Canada. These are military surplus, windage, elevation, waterproof, GI shock proof and in case you didn't know, Elcan is Leitz Leica. Leica optics.

The specter IR makes all other IR scopes that you can legally purchase to date look like a big chunk of chinese shit.