• 2 weeks later...

It may not be an overnight kind of an impact on ammo price/supply but over time it definitely will have an impact.

It has to.

The lead recycling is not a 100% recovery, you lose a good quantity of the lead on each product cycle.

You are never recycling 100% of the lead products, and of the lead that is recycled, there is not a 100% recovery.

Keeping in mind a slowly tightening supply, and constant pressure from the EPA, let's take a look at where we are with lead prices in 5-10 years.

"Recycling Rates Vary

The report indicates lead as the most widely recycled metal, with nearly 80 per cent of products containing lead – mainly batteries – being recycled at the end of their useful life."

http://recycling.about.com/od/Recycling/a/Recycling-Rates-Of-Metals-Must-Increase-To-Reach-Sustainability.htm

"Up until couple of years ago, the lead recycled as a percentage of apparent lead supply, was estimated at 63% with a recycling efficiency of 95%. The rest was from other metal sources including castings, sheet, solders and miscellaneous fabrications."

http://www.benefits-of-recycling.com/recyclinglead/

Why tinfoil? I have enough lead in MY hat to retire if prices go up!

My bomb shelter walls are stacked with car batteries too! j/k

Panic if you want to....

(I plan to steal your bullets if SHTF.) :)

Edited by Sim_Player

We can take lead from the bad guys. No worries. smile.png

I expect they'll give it to you without even asking.

(I plan to steal your bullets if SHTF.) smile.png

For those that want to take my ammo, I'm happy to give them a few rounds. Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously this story doesn't prove the prices WILL go up, but historically prices rise on any product when there is even a rumor of reduced supply.

AMMO PRICE SURGE EXPECTED AS EPA REGULATIONS CLOSE LEAD SMELTER

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/01/Higher-Ammo-Prices-Anticipated-As-EPA-Regs-Close-Lead-Smelter

I've been sitting on the fence about picking up a case of the Wolf Gold 223 for $350 so I went ahead and ordered it.  Free shipping from Target Sports.  ($5.xx for insurance)

Edited by Darth Saigus

I see the future of ammo eliminating lead as a cost control. Lead is expensive, toxic in several forms (elemental lead is fairly safe, but vapor is not), and not really needed for modern rifle rounds.

AP ammo laws for pistols are the only thing standing in the way of lead free rifle ammo.. My take is that way back in the 90s they should have ruled that pistols firing rifle rounds are AOW or SBR, not making rifle rounds comply with pistol regulations.. But that would have been logical and we all know that is not something the government does.

Even if ammo makers are using recycled lead, it's the primary lead market (smelters) that feeds into that cycle.

It's not a closed loop system, you still have to get new lead from somewhere to feed the product cycle.

The spokeswoman for the smelter gets it....

"I contacted the smelter set to close, which is owned by Doe Run and located in Missouri. Cook asked Doe Run’s spokeswoman Tammy Stankey to clarify if lead ammunition will be affected by the closure of America’s last primary smelter.

Stankey told me:"

“That’s the part that people who aren’t concerned are missing. We are taking 130,000 tons off the market. So the question is: where will that lead come from? What additional costs will come to supply the market with that demand? How much will shipping lead, which is a heavy material, cost? What about the political and environmental pressure to regulate lead smelters all over the world? How much competition will be there for lead imported to the U.S.?”

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/what-the-media-is-not-telling-you-about-future-lead-ammo-shortages_122013

• 3 weeks later...

Q: Did “Obama and the EPA” shut down the nation’s last lead smelting plant as part of a “back door gun control” plan to reduce the supply of ammunition?

A: No. The plant closing on Dec. 31 is in response to EPA rules adopted before President Obama took office, and ammunition manufacturers say it will not affect supply.

If I read the history of this thing correctly, the EPA did have increased pollution standards for the lead operations, but the big one that is closing here (Doe Run) had an agreement with the EPA to continue operation. The pressure and decision to close it down was during Obama's rule.

Regardless, Obama is not the only anti gun (anti Constitution) politician we have to worry about. There were many before him, and there will be many after him. We are certainly seeing that his ilk will stop at nothing to get their way.

• Like 1