STOCK FINALLY CAME IN!

Mosin Nagant 91/30, with turned down bolt handle, rail tapped and mounted, and Archangel Stock.

Shoots very nice.  Currently the barrel is floated, but I'm going to have to see if it shoots better with the barrel fixed. Promag sent a block to fix the barrel just in case I've got one of the 10% that shoot better w/o the barrel floated.

Please don't tease me about the scope. It's a cheapy I traded for, until I can afford to get the Nikon Prostaff 9-9x50mm. I'm all out of gun funds in the budget for the year, so looks like I can't get that 'till Taxmas.

Haven't sighted in the scope yet, fired it w/o the rail on just to see how I like the stock.  Very nice indeed.

Like I said, I'd post pics when it was "done":

gallery_44632_1303_1069602.jpg

gallery_44632_1303_3466799.jpg

gallery_44632_1303_4660914.jpg

• Like 3

I was looking at some Mosins last week.  Almost bought one, but I really needed to make a larger than normal (for me) ammo purchase more than I needed the mosin.  I really like the look of that build.  Next time I'm at that LGS, I'll be picking up one of their 91/30's and doing these mods to it.

Ive had mixed luck with my mags so far. They seem to struggle to stay all the way up. But the stock is a nice add on to the mosin.

Below is mine.

timney trigger set to 1.5 lbs

Barrel cut to 18ish inches, crowned, and polished to a mirror finish.

JP Enterprises recoil eliminator

forget what scope it is, but decent 2-7x scout scope

post-24472-0-85029100-1383009554_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mosin isnt exactly a collectors piece with so many out there.

Sure some models it would be a shame but those go for a high price anyway.

Besides if its done right it isnt a bubba.

A good barrel is just an excuse to wear it out over years of shooting. 

Soon as you cut that bolt.

Soon as you cut that bolt.

Why would I do that? 

The rifle cries out for a scout (forward) mounted optic anyway.

Been looking for a reason to try out the Brass Stacker Scout mount for a while now.

The combination of the break, cut down barrel, and padded but bring the felt recoil to almost 7.62 x 39 levels.

I did feel kind of bad jagging around with the stock mosin, but the one I got didnt have a functional mag (didnt feed quite right) and the stock had a few nicks in it.  I do have another stock one.

The brass stacker mount is pretty good.  Putting the bolts through the pin holes is kind of a bitch, but the thing works and seems to hold zero.  I was going to go and add the brass stackers front sight, but you cant use the front sight and see over the break.

Ive had mixed luck with my mags so far. They seem to struggle to stay all the way up. But the stock is a nice add on to the mosin.

Below is mine.

timney trigger set to 1.5 lbs

Barrel cut to 18ish inches, crowned, and polished to a mirror finish.

JP Enterprises recoil eliminator

forget what scope it is, but decent 2-7x scout scope

hows it group? happy with the chop?

I did feel kind of bad jagging around with the stock mosin, but the one I got didnt have a functional mag (didnt feed quite right) and the stock had a few nicks in it.  I do have another stock one.

I didn't and mine is about as nice as they come... $89 rifle + $20 scope.. F-it... wink.png

post-33185-0-95086200-1383093463_thumb.jpg

To the OP, that looks great! I hope they get those mags worked out! I don't feel bad about your scope at all. There is a time and place for quality and this isn't exactly it.. I've got a $12 Tasco on my 10/22 that works just fine! :)
  • Like 1

Yeah, I did slip away for a few days.  I have been busy with life and haven't been online in days.  New job, 12-13 hour days means I am exhausted.

Look's awesome!  I've gotta get that Archangel stock for my 91/30.  Is installation pretty straight forward?

It's literally two screws, and drops right in.  Really simple install.  If you turn down the bolt handle, you have to dremel a little groove into where the bolt hits the body.

How well do the mags feed?

I haven't purchased any more than the 5 rounder that came with the stock, and that one feeds okay. out of the 50rds I have put through it, 1 misfeed and it's because I put the round too far forward. 

The 1st generation of mags they put out had some reliablility issues.  Make sure (if) you get this setup, you get the mags designated as Gen2.

I didn't and mine is about as nice as they come... $89 rifle + $20 scope.. F-it... wink.png

To the OP, that looks great! I hope they get those mags worked out! I don't feel bad about your scope at all. There is a time and place for quality and this isn't exactly it.. I've got a $12 Tasco on my 10/22 that works just fine! smile.png

Thanks!  I really want to get a nicer scope because my barrel is smooth and straight! Groupings are pretty tight (1/2" at 300yds, and I know it's me holding it back from being more accurate because I don't have bags or a bipod.

I have no doubt that this could be a 1,000 yard gun with a better scope and some better training on my part.  It shoots just as accurately as my friends Remington 700.

So you're telling me you're shooting "1/2 groups at 300 yards with an m91/30?  With no bench/bipod/rest using a tasco?  Now is this surplus 7.62x54r or some magic rounds- possibly blessed by the pope and assembled by some type of gnome?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I would definately recommend the Timney trigger mod on these builds. The Archangel stock even provides a neat cutout for the nice (read: functional) safety Timney provides alongside the bolt.

Some very good design work on these stocks.

JMHO.....

-guido in Houston

I was using a mix of ammo, when I bore sighted the scope, I used cheap spam can ammo, but the other No pope, no gnomes. My rounds at 300yds were Sellier and Bellot brass fmj at I think 180 grains (don't recall, used it up and threw the box away). .  I was using a range table at my gun shop's private range. I was rested on their table, and this is after bore-scoping out, 100, then 200, then 300.

Hopefully I'm going out to a friends house with some bags, and following the forum credo of "pics or it didn't happen", I will go ahead and get some pics of the targets. 

10 rounder arrived Tuesday, so that's getting tested as well.

So you're telling me you're shooting "1/2 groups at 300 yards with an m91/30?  With no bench/bipod/rest using a tasco?  Now is this surplus 7.62x54r or some magic rounds- possibly blessed by the pope and assembled by some type of gnome?

Yeah the fairy dust is getting deep on some of these reports.

• 2 weeks later...