• 1 month later...

Just bought my first mosin, was wondering about how to mount the scope the way the OP did over the bolt, also I heard the trigger guard gets in the way due to the mosin's long trigger pull. 

Jay,

Sorry about my super long delay in replying.  I took it to my local smith and had him drill and tap for the scope mount, to which I'd say is well worth the money to pay a smith to do, they will have all the tools to ensure it's on straight and that the receiver is not damaged

Many people have said, just use the dovetail under the rear sight, and I thought about it, hell I even bought a brass stacker (and returned it after watching videos about how easy it is to bend it.) The bigger problem is I didn't want to use a scout scope or pistol scope, I wanted something with some magnification to it, so consulting my local smith, he installed something more substantial when I had him attach the turned down bolt handle

http://www.amazon.com/Mosin-Nagant-Scope-Mount-Handle/dp/B000O7D2XG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390603837&sr=8-4&keywords=mosin+nagant+mount this link has a mount, the turned down handle, and the bits and taps for $40

I haven't had any problems with trigger pull.  I did watch one of the archangel videos where they fixed it with emery cloth or a dremel on a prototype model. I think it varies from model to model, and manufacturer to manufacturer.

----

To address another poster

So you're telling me you're shooting "1/2 groups at 300 yards with an m91/30?  With no bench/bipod/rest using a tasco?  Now is this surplus 7.62x54r or some magic rounds- possibly blessed by the pope and assembled by some type of gnome?

Well, I haven't posted pics, so I clearly haven't achieved quite that accuracy.  More like 3" to 3.5" at 300yards. ~1" grouping was at 100yds off of the range table. My story became a fishing story pretty quick, and I'll be a big enough man to admit I can't call a couple lucky consecutive shots as true testimony (even if it took me months to respond).

I finally got a new scope and have been sanding/polishing away on my trigger brakes, so hopefully this weekend the forecast will hold true and I'll be able to see if there's improvement yet.  I wanted to put a nice high-end Nikon scope on it, but funding ran dry so I am settling for this Cvlife scope.

Edited by slippingaway