Gallil Mag's in .223 Saiga?

A bullet guide is required. As for Gallil mags they do work, without modifying, but for me not 100%. It might be because the mags I have are well used. I did change out the followers with Magpul Anti Tilt Followers and get better results with most of them now (with some modification).

Edited by Yellowlabsrule
  • 3 weeks later...

Steel galil mags work great if you build up the locking tabs on them to where the feed lips sit flush to the lower receiver rails. I bought 6 beater mags from apex awhile back and added weld to the bottom of the locking tabs. I then filed the weld to fit on each mag. My rifle seemed to not like a super tight lockup on the mag, so i fit them to where there's a little side to side wobble. Never had a misfeed with them and they are all original. I also buffed the legs on the follower to a shine and oiled the insides of the mag body with remoil.

the surplus Galil mags do not work reliably with all Saigas. they seem to work best with the "slabside" models that lack magwell dimples.

the Tapco Galil mags generally work 100% with all models.

I have found this to be the case. On mine (has magwell dimples) I had no reliability problems with steel Galil mags w/o a bullet guide, but once I installed it I was having problems. They need to be modified to allow them to sit up higher to feed right into the chamber.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't have a bullet guide, but the Tapco Galil mag locks up tight in my Saiga. I have a Century Golani that came with a worn-out metal mag, so I got a Tapco and it runs like a champ. Do NOT do an AR mag conversion. You have to remove a lot of material from your gun to fit the adapter. Cracked trunions have been reported, due to the structural integrity being compromised.

Edited by WardenWolf

I actually plan on making an ar adapter that has a built in bullet guide and NO mods to the firearm. The AR mags will have to be slightly modified, my plan is to use my neighbors AR to see if they will still work in an AR, hopefully when done either forcing the mag into the AK or the nicer slight reshape with a hammer to the magazine. Either way, the AR mags are so much easier to get.

• 2 weeks later...