Piston problems in S308 conversion

Using a standard AK gas tube in my 308 conversion and I ran into a slight problem. The piston has a hard time going all the way forward. With a bit of man power it locks up but is a b**ch to get back out. The gas tube looks good in and out and so does the piston. Don't know what to try except maybe bore out the tube a bit. I don't want to do too much in case it weakens it. Any other thoughts? I can try to get another gas tube as well I guess. Anyone ever run into this problem?

Are you using the original gas tube or during your conversion did you swap it out? How does it cycle with the gas tube removed, hand cycling only of course? Is your gas tube seated properly and locking lever fully engaged? I ran into this issue after refinishing one of my 308's where the bolt seemed to be binding while running it forward. I realized that I hadn't fully locked the gas tube lever as I was waiting for the paint to fully cure. After locking it, the bolt moved freely.

Its a new tube from apex. I had to grind the back end down a bit to fit the locking lever over it. Everything on the tube locks/fits nicely now. The bolt cycles fine and moves smooth with the stock tube or no tube at all, it's when the new AK tube is on it catches up somewhere. I'm gonna try putting a light coat of powder in the tube and maybe it'll show where the piston is having a hard time moving through it. With the tube and piston off the rifle, everything fits good, that's got me thinking it might be at a slight angle when it is mounted. If so, more dremeling might be need or just a different tube to try. I'll get back into it after work today.

I did a tube off a romy ak. I had to grind the rear lock up area it fits great and have no problems. Is your tube fitting tight? It needs to be slightly loose. Id bet from what you've said the tube is off angle because the rear lock up that you have to grind needs adjusted.

I couldnt get the tube from apex to work even after excess grinding. I bought a bulgy tube from a member and had to file a bit off, it fits like a glove now though! Finishing up the wood work and I'll post some pics tmrw to see what ya guys think. Going for the saiganov look for now until I get sick of the t-hole stock.