How hard is it to convert my 20 at home with the parts kit?

I've done minor gin work before and absolutely can't stand the look and feel of my sporter stock, seen a few videos on how to do it and look fairly simple but can it be that easy just to buy the parts kit from CSS and do it myself? Any info would be nice on this being i priced getting it done where I live in Oklahoma and they want $700 to do it for me. And of topic I've ran about 100 slugs, 150 3" turkey loads and 300 cheap bulk thru mine since I've had it with the " reliablity kit" and the gun was used when I bought it. Still won't cycle cheap ammo very well. I get maybe 3 shots without a fte at most still. Gun is kept clean, I can see all 3 gas ports, plug is on setting 6. Plenty of grease on all the wear points, I don't know whatelse to do really.

It is really easy and there are videos on youtube that will walk you through the process. $700 is a ripoff. parts cost between $70 and $300(depending on the stock set) and it can be converted in about 30 minutes to an hour (depending on your ability). As far as the FTEs go I have the same problem and I've tried everything to fix it. I don't think it is the gun I think it is the inconsistency of the cheaper rounds. some will eject 15ft and other will barely move the bolt. let me know if you find a cure other than buckshot and slugs. I think im just gonna start loading my own shells.

^^^^^what he said, it's so simple to do. Just take your time and have fun with it. I haven't got my S20 to shoot the cheap shit either, I quit worrying about it and have become resigned to the fact that it is a battle gun and not designed to shoot cheap ass bird shot. But then again I do know that some people have gotten them to work, not worth it to me, I bought a S12.

Edited by AA re-cvrd
  • 1 month later...

I did my conversion at home, it was my 2nd saiga to do myself.  Took longer to re-install the BHO lever and the FCG than it did to disassemble and remove the sporter plate.

I have found that the best tool is a small, right-angle disc sander that uses 1" 3M sanding pads.  Best way to grind through the plate rivets, but I can throw on a roloc disc and also clean up the corrosion under the plate, etc.