Huge high-security barge in SF Bay.  Rumored to be owned by Google.

What is it?  Why put it on a barge?

Now same thing in Maine.

Let the tinfoil begin!

Personally I hope they're meant to anchor in international waters to avoid confiscatory taxes.  That would drive the libs batshit!

http://news.yahoo.com/mystery-barge-maine-rumored-another-google-project-143306979.html;_ylt=AwrSyCR5MHFSElcAse3QtDMD

floating data centers to avoid california taxes? That would be a cool idea. The tax savings alone would pay for the fuel or electricity needed for energy. They wont say what it is because they would change the laws quickly before it was in operation.

Google is way too close to the feds already. I'm sure they know what it is.

• Like 2

can't imagine that the cost savings would offset the cost of having underwater comms lines laid. or power. or offshore maintenance staff. nope, too wild of a project to be a cost savings measure.

google is always fucking with something these days. i'm sure whatever this project is, it will be something bizarre, and not something i would be interested in google wasting my money on if i was an investor.

Goo goo aquatic mind-control platform?  HA!

Rumored is no good unless I know who rumored it, or on what basis.

One thing I am betting on, it is another step in increasing the security of our USA, with the security of those in power coming first and foremost, while they step all over the masses.

One of the ideas I've seen "floated" around the tech world is that it might be a retail store, that they're going to moor in SF to sell google glass and the like.

I've heard the same thing.  Also heard it's the data centers for their data mining.  But if it's either of those, why put it on a barge?  There is no reason to put anything on a barge unless it needs to move.  Why would either of those things need to move? 

A retail store might make sense on a barge, if you were going to be selling a single, high-priced item - like google glass. A market would quickly saturate, and then it would be time to move on to the next place. Start in SF, then move on to other west coast towns with populations richer in money than sense. That way you don't have to get ahold of retail space in each city you move to. Just park your barge at the port for a few weeks, pay whatever fees are involved, and move on.

A retail store might make sense on a barge, if you were going to be selling a single, high-priced item - like google glass. A market would quickly saturate, and then it would be time to move on to the next place. Start in SF, then move on to other west coast towns with populations richer in money than sense. That way you don't have to get ahold of retail space in each city you move to. Just park your barge at the port for a few weeks, pay whatever fees are involved, and move on.

actually it does make sense. retail commercial space is BIG BUX in SF. dockside space, not so much. there is plenty of free dock space right up on the waterfront in SF, walking distance from downtown. that would be a pretty cool retail location.

I've read that some of the NSA super fusion Centers require vast amounts of water to cool their mega computers. Place them on a barge and you have a constant supply of ready sea water to use for that cooling...

yeah, but google already has massive datacenters here in Washington state, where they pull in water from the columbia river. their datacenters increase the downstream temperatures by several degrees.

using salt water for cooling would be a bit of a costly idea - too much maintenance dealing with salinity. freshwater heat exchangers require nearly zero maintenance, there is almost no corrosion.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

GOOGLE and NASA have teamed up and made a  quantum computer and to  developing quantum artificial intelligence. so I would say that  has something to do with the 2 barges. I don't believe for one second that GOOGLE poured all that money into 2 barges for a "floating mall" selling tee-shirts.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

A lot of big companies have been seasteading their data centers. It puts them outside of many jurisdictions, so people can't easily tell them what to do. its been going on for a while now.

GOOGLE and NASA have teamed up and made a  quantum computer and to  developing quantum artificial intelligence. so I would say that  has something to do with the 2 barges. I don't believe for one second that GOOGLE poured all that money into 2 barges for a "floating mall" selling tee-shirts.

Meh still waiting for the person that can actually explain how this is supposed to work, I discount those simplistic yes no both terms as they give no insight.  See no reason for it being on a barge.

The data center or repository makes the most sense. 

I remember about two years back there was talk of a "ship" that some tech companies were looking at anchoring just inside international waters.

The idea was to have a workplace that you didn't need to worry about immigration/green cards for.  I'd imagine there wouldn't be too many companies that could make the investment, but Google would be one of them.

Google says they're floating showrooms.  OK, but what ELSE are they?  Cause I'm still not buying the need for a floating showroom.

I know this is insane, but it's possible that it's actually what they say it is.

Google says they're floating showrooms.  OK, but what ELSE are they?  Cause I'm still not buying the need for a floating showroom.

I know this is insane, but it's possible that it's actually what they say it is.

I'm naturally skeptical.  Of course it's possible that these giant (and undoubtedly expensive) barges are just a marketing boondoggle.  And it's also possible (probable in my mind) that there is something going on behind the scenes.

Do you remember the Hughes Glomar Explorer?  Not that I believe these barges are anything like that.  Just an example that things are not always what they say they are.

Hi,

I could swear i had read the story about the S.F. barge on Yahoo about two weeks ago. The slant on that story about the barge  was about how it was designed to house a data collection center and it was designed to be waterborne because it used seawater to keep the sever rooms cooler. The story I read not only had similar "Mystery" photos but also had some basic diagrams to show how the system worked. All speculation of course. The problem that brought the barge to everyone's attention was that apparently the local population was concerned about the power-lines attached to the barge and a local ordinance barring permanent commercial structures on the bay. I looked back to find the story, but my google-fu is not strong today.