saiga 20 question

Has anyone had any luck getting the s20 to fire cheap bulk ammo. I know the reliability kits and a few other mods seem to help the S12s but they haven't helped my S20 and  that seems to be true for a lot of people. Just curious if im missing something or if it is more difficult in the 20 gauge than the 12.

My S20 has plenty of Gas (4 holes all unobstructed) its probably over gassed actually but it still FTEs Winchester bulk ammo (walmart special). It has lighter spring, gas puck with a tail and 6 position gas regulator also. so its either the trigger profile, the mags, or just that light 20gauge ammo doesn't have enough oomph to move the bolt consistently.

i use some winchester AA shells about 8.69 for a box of 25 . i have the adjustable gas plug and Performance Recoil Spring . i had my gun worked on and was told my gas ports was to small. i just got it to shoot all the ammo at the gun range from this AA to some buckshot.

Generally its the hammer profile causing a lot of drag.

However I've never had any kind of luck with Winchester shells for the S-20. I think its the rim profile or diameter, when they hit the ejector they just pop off the extractor claw and sit there.

I've used Remington and had great success, try a box and see if it works for you, they should be the same price per box anyway. 

• 1 month later...

I took the slide fire stock off and put a fixed stock on it. I also put the original hammer back in it. It will shoot Federal bulk ok as long as pull it back against my shoulder tightly. If I try to rapid fire it still has problems ejecting. It loads the next shell but the spent shell gets caught it the reciever somehow

Oh Momma !

Sure is nice to have a new member chime in !  You mention  :

"but they haven't helped my S20 and  that seems to be true for a lot of people."

I am really excited that it's true for "a lot of people"  - because it's like a ghost town here on the Saiga 20 boards .......and we want "a lot of people" to visit the site here !

There's several fellers here that really know their stuff , and they could be of big help - but from your statements , seems to me if you think your gun is "over gassed" and you got the 6 position regulator and a custom puck AND a lighter spring ....well ........what more could you do ?

Yeah I've tried pretty much everything I can think of. I had a 410 and had the same issue also. I really think that it's just the design of the system. The 20 and 410 just don't create enough pressure to consistently fire bulk ammo. Now that prices are coming back down ill just stock up on buckshot.

Ok so I got bored today decided to do some more work on my s20. I took the gas block back off and drilled another gas port. So it now has 3 holes at .09(3/32) and 1 small hole at .07(5/64). Hopefully this extra port will give enough gas now. It probably overgassed now but I have a 6 position regulator that i can tone it down some with. Ill shoot tomorrow hopefully and ill post a report and see if this helped

Ok so the 4th port really helped. I went out and shot some with no fte when fired from the shoulder. Still have some when hip firing. I'm gonna get some slugs and buckshot to make sure my new regulator can tone the gas down with those shells. If so I may open the 4th port up a bit to help with hip firing.

I used turkey loads #4 shot in a 3- gun match and they cycled great. Knocked done the steel targets quick.

I was bored, i have had my 20 for about 12 years and decided to drop it in a Kushnapup kit and took it out for the match, they let me shoot the heavy loads, since I was using a 20 ga. The IZ shotguns where designed for heavy loads and need to be tuned for reliability when using light loads. Until they are well broken in at least .

Ok so the 4th port really helped. I went out and shot some with no fte when fired from the shoulder. Still have some when hip firing. I'm gonna get some slugs and buckshot to make sure my new regulator can tone the gas down with those shells. If so I may open the 4th port up a bit to help with hip firing.

Lemme ask you :  how will you know the regulator is toning down the pressure sufficiently so as not to put undue stress on your gun ?  

I'm sure there will be extra stress on the gun but that is just the price to pay in order to successfully shoot cheap ammo( in my case). What I meant by the regulator toning down was that it would prevent the carrier from slamming into the back of the receiver which can cause damage. Since adding the fourth hole I've shot about 100 rounds from the shoulder with no fte. And considering I've spent hundreds of dollars, many hours, tried everything to fix this problem, and was at the point of giving up on it I am willing to take the extra wear. This might not be the best solution for everyone but I'm just glad to finally have it functioning.

• 3 weeks later...

Lemme ask you : how will you know the regulator is toning down the pressure sufficiently so as not to put undue stress on your gun ?

Mike20 there are far more qualified persons than myself on this forum, but it seems to me that the ejection distance(insert old man/young man joke here*) is the best way to judge that. I like something like 5+ feet. Not 35' lol. You will feel secondary recoil. If over gassed. It feels like a 5-lb dead blow hammer on your shoulder. Once I got my gun running sweet on #8 bulk bird, the tac 47 plug solved all my issues on the heavy end. Set it and forget it!

I use a blackjack buffer for just that reason.

+1 yep good thing as long as your gun works with one, most do, a very few won't it's cheap insurance for your action and receiver.

over time I played with 5 different S20s and no 2 acted the same. 1 was like what you described that just wouldn't work till it had a another gas port added.

as some others have said Wally's Winchester bulk pack may not be a winning shell for your Saiga if you want to shoot from off hand positions like from the hip for whatever reason you may need to go to 1 oz loads like the Heavy Dove loads Bass Pro sells, they're made by Winchester but they have some ass behind them.

also as talked about above about 4 to 5 feet is about right for hulls to eject. if getting hit with the hull is as dangerous as getting shot you're over gassed.

Edited by the 4th Doctor
  • 4 weeks later...

Lemme ask you : how will you know the regulator is toning down the pressure sufficiently so as not to put undue stress on your gun ?

Mike20 there are far more qualified persons than myself on this forum, but it seems to me that the ejection distance(insert old man/young man joke here*) is the best way to judge that. I like something like 5+ feet. Not 35' lol. You will feel secondary recoil. If over gassed. It feels like a 5-lb dead blow hammer on your shoulder. Once I got my gun running sweet on #8 bulk bird, the tac 47 plug solved all my issues on the heavy end. Set it and forget it!

This is a damn fine answer !  Thanks !!

I never made the connection that the distance the spent shell case ejects is proportional to the ejection gas pressure pushing on the puck ...... sometimes things are pretty easy !

Edited by MIKE20GA