Looking for suggestions on muzzle breaks

My VEPR's have type ll sights so I don't have a locking pin for the brake. I need a brake that will screw on and function properly from any angle. I'd like to have the AK-74 type break, but it must fit a certain way to function properly plus Tapco puts a junk finish on it. Any suggestions on type ll brakes for 7.62x39 and .308? My .223 has type l sights, but the barrel isn't threaded. Has anyone tried threading their barrel and adding a break? I appreciate the advice!

I'd recommend you come up with some other way to index the brake, there are several ways to do it, jam nuts, lock washers, I've even heard o-rings. depending on the brake, and how far off it is, you could also carefully file or sand the back side of it, until it does index right, or file/sand a normal washer.

As for brakes, can't recommend one because I make my own. smile.png

Thanks Joe. Should I blue locktite the threads? Any place sell those for that very purpose(right sizes, color and stuff)? I'd hate to walk into Lowes with my AK. Actually I'd like that, but I don't think anyone else would. amazing.gif

It must be sweet to make your own stuff!

Edited by geneticgamer

You can probably find something to work on some of the gun websites, if you want to use normal washers from the hardware store, make sure the inside diameter is just a tiny bit over 14mm, 9/16 inside diameter would probably work. (EDIT: I'm assuming the VEPRs use a 14x1LH thread like the 7.62x39 Saigas do)

Blue loctite shouldn't hurt anything, but my MBs haven't needed it.

It's definitely nice to be able to make your own stuff, I made a really simple jig so that when I take one out of the lathe, I can cut the slots on the mill knowing the brake will index right when I put it on.

Edited by JoeAK
  • Like 1

My VEPR's have type ll sights so I don't have a locking pin for the brake. I need a brake that will screw on and function properly from any angle. I'd like to have the AK-74 type break, but it must fit a certain way to function properly plus Tapco puts a junk finish on it. Any suggestions on type ll brakes for 7.62x39 and .308? My .223 has type l sights, but the barrel isn't threaded. Has anyone tried threading their barrel and adding a break? I appreciate the advice!

Where do you get the designation of:  Type I or Type II sights/brakes?  Been around for a few days, but this is not a standard which I am familiar with.

Jack

I've been thinking about it, I have one that's simple, quick to make (even on manual machines), small, and effective, might try selling a few at the range, not sure if it's worth doing on a larger scale than that though.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you get the designation of:  Type I or Type II sights/brakes?  Been around for a few days, but this is not a standard which I am familiar with.

Jack

Not sure where I saw that, but type ll being the integrated sights and type l being the standard AK sights most people prefer.

• 4 weeks later...

I need three brakes. I have a 5.56 vepr that I'll have the thread, but doesn't have a detent pin, a 7.62x39 VEPR with version ll sights, and a .308 VEPR with version ll sights. I need a brake for each but I'm unsure of my options. I want a brake that extends past the threads to cover where the thread protector was welded on. The barrel thins out and a grove is ground into the barrel where the weld was. Looks pretty bad imo. That requires a brake that also doesn't need to be indexed since a washer won't allow the brake to extend past the threads.

Edited by geneticgamer

When I did my Version II, I used a 14x left hand AR style bird cage and a an AK crush washer. Worked like a charm. Sorry can't provide pics since I sold it off.

I'm considering selling mine as well. VEPR's are a lot of trouble to convert. Even the few parts made for them have to be filed to hell and back to fit. I haven't even fired mine or began the conversion but do have 5 Polish mags and the bullet guide kit(I'm thinking $700 shipped is fair?). Maybe I'll buy a couple PSA AR-15's to cover 5.56 or a SIG 556. Trying to sell my .308 Super right now because there are zero options for converting that. Unfired $950 shipped if anyone's interested. Why did you sell yours? Was it accurate and reliable?

The conversion was pretty simple. I bought it pre crazy when prices were good. It was accurate and reliable. I also have a 20" type 01 that converted and made into a Veprnov. I prefer the 01 sights more than the 02. So I decided to keep the Veprnov and sell the 02. Which version and cailber is your Vepr? Where you located? Might be able to find help close to you to work on it.

It's a type l traditional sight set-up, but no threads. I've been looking to thin out my collection anyway. I only need a few firearms, but do WANT hundreds upon tens of thousands victory.gif . I'm working on needs before wants in all of life however.

I've had a harder time with my conversion(7.62x39). Makes me think I won't be doing another. The stock is what got me hating the process. Even the "VEPR" specific parts had to be modified. The stock adaptor had to be ground down at one point and then the stock was murdered to fit it. Even then the stock does not match well to the receiver at all. There's a nasty looking gap as the backside of the adaptor does not flush well with the receiver slant. It sticks out a bit more. I could dremel that flush but don't want to risk not getting that straight while dremeling it. I just put the wood buttstock back on and said forget it. I'm wondering how well the Bonesteel folding stock fits and if it will need modded? On top of that the bullet guide I bought from Carolina shooters supply seems to be hanging up rounds when I dry cycle through my mags. When the mag is fuller the rounds don't want to come forward and as it empties it cycles fine. I'm guessing I need to file the bullet guide a bit? Lastly after removing the thread protectors the barrel thins out and the factory cut an indent beyond the threads that looks bad in itself. If I had it to do over...

Edited by geneticgamer

Tyler from CNC Warrior suggested the AK Twisted Menace Muzzle Brake and the Derita Menace Brake w/ detent notches both in M14 X 1 LH. He said they have notches but don't require to be timed/indexed and they are also counter bored so they fit up on the barrel. Sounds perfect for the type ll sights sytems. I assume some locktite will hold them in place?

• 11 months later...

Here is my Vepr that I converted. I'm keeping the OEM furniture as it places my finger tip perfectly on the trigger. Thus making this rifle very accurate, now all I have to do is blood it. Tapping the trunnion for the bullet guide had me sweating bullets, that steel is very hard.

post-48978-0-53548200-1418100992_thumb.jpg