Just curious if anyone here uses smoke if so what kind.... And not the newly fashionable liberal pot movement kind either. I'm talking about M18 and M83 smoke grenades.

We were looking to find a few cans but they are high as a liberal who believes in Barry's "Change". So we found a recreational manufacturer who makes pull tab versions and was thinking of getting a case to play with and possibly sell. The company is called Sport Smoke. sportsmoke.com

Has anyone used them?

I used a bunch of M18 smoke for training. Never had to use one to signal an aircraft or create cover. Hell, I'd just fire into the smoke if someone tried that on me.

For the fun of it, I tested out a few consumer level smoke grenades and they all pretty much sucked. After 9/11, the commies took the fun out of America, pyrotechnic supplies were heavily restriced like we were some kind of evil meth cooks, all the good surplus stuff got thin and surplus gear is now destroyed or sold to communists around the globe.

All of the paintball type smoke grenades suck. You can still get huge smoke pots that are coast guard surplus. It's a big can that you light the top on. It will cover a huge field. The only other option is to mix sugar and salt peter, heat to a peanut butter consistency and place it in a container. It will create a bunch of smoke and is super cheap to make.

I would avoid wasting money on crappy smoke grenades in your shop. They will only get you complaints from mall ninjaz!

Look for the floating orange plastic cap distress signals. You untwist the cap and pull the string. It burns for 5 minutes and gives off a ton of orange smoke. If you get a shipment of them you can get them for around 10 bucks a pop. Expiration dates force them to be changed out but will work for around ten million years after they expire. They wont start as much shit on fire either. The body is steel. The cheaper paintball stuff will. There were these huge green landing zone pots you could order that would fill a stadium with smoke in no time. Haven't seen them for years but they were insane. My memory is hit or miss, think they were about 9 inches wide by 5 inches tall in a cylinder shape.

Good luck with the wannabe triple canopy crowd.

p.s. these kinda look neat for a fuse fired smoke.. http://www.defensedevices.com/commando-smoke-bombs.html

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/making-fireworks-projects/smoke-bombs.asp

Edited by Stryker0946

Looking at the SportsSmoke hard for a reason, they have a electric ignition device that activates on 9v DC. This has my "Tinker Squirrel" wheel spinning coming up with ideas.

The BFG has 70K ft3 of output and is under $20 bucks. From what I've seen it's good to go.

4parts salt peter 6parts sugar. Lite it up, some of the thickest smoke you'll see. A film canister sized filled up a 1/2block.

Somebody could make a good buck selling that mix in empty paint cans with generic labels.

I'd buy a few...... if they are legal of course.    what.gifhaha.gif

• Like 1

4parts salt peter 6parts sugar. Lite it up, some of the thickest smoke you'll see. A film canister sized filled up a 1/2block.

Somebody could make a good buck selling that mix in empty paint cans with generic labels.

I'd buy a few...... if they are legal of course.    what.gifhaha.gif

I would save the sugar for sugardine and the saltpeter for gunpowder just IMO.

Betadine and sugar is an excellent anti-bacterial perhaps the only one easily made for puncture wounds.

http://www.tngun.com/how-to-make-sugardine-antiseptic/

Yeah I know 

If I remember right, the M18 and others used the same cap as a standard grenade, and got limited to those with explosives/DD licences.

I'm looking at loading up some 37mm smoke rounds.  Although, I thought the mix was the same as rocket candy. (potassium chlorate/sugar/organic dye for color)

Try to order the surplus orange signal marker and a few that you showed. Most guys will ship you a sample if you're a brick and mortar shop. Test them in fair and poor conditions. You may like them as I did after using the good stuff, buying the paintball crap and finding navy surplus stuff. I even made several colored and flavored smoke.

If the electric match sells you, consider buying estes model rocket motor ignition fuses. Or you can make a ton of them cheap. http://www.skylighter.com/electric-match-kit.htm

If you want them as traps, making a striker with quick match would be more economical, the Ematch system can be sealed water tight but depends on a simple circuit and power supply.

Take some photos and compare if you do your research. The formulas haven't changed for decades but the delivery has. steel containers with fast burn and directed smoke seems to be the common way to not set shit on fire. It would be interesting to see how fast and how much smoke they spray.

Good luck!