Cost to convert an S-12

I have an S-12, I want to convert,
I can't do it myself, due to a hand injury, which has me one handed for the immediate future.
basically, I just want to move the trigger, and grip forward.
I do not need any holes welded up, or repainting done, as I will be capable of doing that later.

How much should that cost?

I have the grip, but not the trigger group?

Thank you for the suggestion.

Louisville KY

I live in meade co.   I ordered everything today to do mine and as long as it goes well I will do yours and we can work something out! I have messed with ars for 10yr but new to the ak platform but with the help of this site and youtube it should not be a prob

Thank you for the suggestion.

Louisville KY

I live in meade co. I ordered everything today to do mine and as long as it goes well I will do yours and we can work something out! I have messed with ars for 10yr but new to the ak platform but with the help of this site and youtube it should not be a prob
Just a word of caution JerryP...nothing against justjoe, but there are many on this forum that would help you out just for the love of the platform and adding another enthusiast, without "working something out". If you were within 2 hours of Birmingham, AL I would do it. Justjoe may be completely on the up and up and I am not assuming that he is not, but with his first and only post responding to your request for help, I would be cautious. Justjoe, you may be new and just trying to help somebody out. If that is the case then my apologies and welcome to the forum. :)

ETA..A very basic conversion with a kit from Carolina Shooters Supply or one of the other vendors on the forum will run about $130-$140. This will get you a US made Tapco G2 FCG, Pistol grip, and Tapco AK stock. You can do it for less if you shop and piece meal the parts.

Edited by Spacehog

Spacehog is right on the parts. First time, get the complete kit from CSS, you won't regret it. Based on the forum builds, I added the power hammer spring, bolt hold open lever kit, and axis retaining plate. When you gut the inside, everything is there to make it final so you don't have to do it twice or fix a mistake. It's a fun build, but do the painting at the time of the build and you won't be redoing it later (not that I haven't masked painted areas before). Anything else will be external for now and those items can be added when funds or desires permit. Flash hider, brake, charging handle, etc. will add to the cost so they could wait, but one hand will do it. Subsequent builds will be easier if you get more 12s. Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be happy to help. Also have some extras laying around and tools that made it less complicated. Good set of dental picks and dremel will be with you forever.

Justjoe, I didn't read your reply as wanting to charge or profit from helping. I saw it as making arrangements to get together for both of your convenience. These are a protective lot here and it wasn't meant to be insulting. New members that want to help are hard to find as they tend to follow the threads to gain knowledge and insight. Spacehog was being cautious, I'm not speaking for him, just understanding how things go here. Nothing personal. Welcome to the group.  

I wasn't looking to charge him for the conversion. We live about a hr apart that's what I was referring to about working something out. And FYI mine is done without a prob. And I do duracoat if you want it done while it's apart.

10-4 Justjoe. My apologies. I wasn't trying to insult you, just trying to make sure JerryP was cautious. Glad to hear you finished yours and are willing to help others. Welcome to the forum.

ETA..A very basic conversion with a kit from Carolina Shooters Supply or one of the other vendors on the forum will run about $130-$140. This will get you a US made Tapco G2 FCG, Pistol grip, and Tapco AK stock. You can do it for less if you shop and piece meal the parts.

New to the platform, and finally going to dive into converting my S 12. Ordered parts today from Carolinz Shooters Supply but by the time I got done adding some "trinkets" to the basic kit my bill is a little closer to $375 for parts and I still need to get a stock and pistol grip. I ordered a JT Enterprises competition brake, JT guide rod system, extended mag release and a few other goodies. As to stock and pistol grip, leaning toward the ATI M 4 style stock and haven't decided yet whether to go with a Hoque or Scorpion pistol grip. Looking forward to the parts getting here so I can get started.

You can save about $50 if you make your own trigger guard and cut the pg nut hole, but it does require more work and skill. I think it seems a bit more 'proper" too. However, it is probably the most significant labor saver.

• 3 weeks later...