metal used in construction of this monster?

gotta guy possibly fabing some parts for me... need to know what the bolt face is made of

-i thought i read awhile back its almost stainless... in my bingin, i read its also close to tool steel...

so, whats the bolt, gas block, and carrrier made out of, and how are they all formed? and possibly we could turn this into a sticky and rename it?

Well, I would assume the bolt is made of good-quality steel, some sort of high-carbon alloy. Not sure on the S-12, but a lot of gas blocks / RSB / FSB seem to be cast steel. If I had to guess, I'd figure the carrier is also machined from a casting, maybe from a forging. No real knowledge here, just supposition.

The Russian Steel is a little bit of their own design/making from the foundary, but here are the industry standards, and they can apply to Soviet Bloc Firearms as well.

Stainless:  416R for most barrels and you will also see 300 grade series stainless for other components.  One has magnetic qualities and one does not.

4140 or 4145 which are commonly referred to as Chrome Moly, one has more carbon in it than the other (4145 Mil Spec) and this is close enough to the steel used in the carrier/bolt, etc. 

The carrier/bolt/sight block etc. in the Saiga are not stainless.  The op rod IS stainless  Gas blocks, etc. are cast as Shandlanos stated.

If you have someone who is going to manufacture some parts for you, they should be machined from 4140 and then heat treated to the appropriate Rockwell Hardness.

Bolt/carrier will be around 59.

Jack

• Like 2

The Russian Steel is a little bit of their own design/making from the foundary, but here are the industry standards, and they can apply to Soviet Bloc Firearms as well.

Stainless:  416R for most barrels and you will also see 300 grade series stainless for other components.  One has magnetic qualities and one does not.

4140 or 4145 which are commonly referred to as Chrome Moly, one has more carbon in it than the other (4145 Mil Spec) and this is close enough to the steel used in the carrier/bolt, etc. 

The carrier/bolt/sight block etc. in the Saiga are not stainless.  The op rod IS stainless  Gas blocks, etc. are cast as Shandlanos stated.

If you have someone who is going to manufacture some parts for you, they should be machined from 4140 and then heat treated to the appropriate Rockwell Hardness.

Bolt/carrier will be around 59.

Jack

I'm surprised the op rod is stainless - I'd just assumed it was chromed steel.

I could be wrong about the op rod.   I  made an assumption, as all my op rods (416 heat treated) and 99% of aftermarket op rods are stainless.  Will check tomorrow and verify.  There really isn't a reason to chrome the op rod if it was just a basic carbon steel.

Jack

I could be wrong about the op rod.   I  made an assumption, as all my op rods (416 heat treated) and 99% of aftermarket op rods are stainless.  Will check tomorrow and verify.  There really isn't a reason to chrome the op rod if it was just a basic carbon steel.

Jack

Back when corrosive ammo was the name of the game, it would've made sense. I know aftermarket gas pistons are stainless, I suppose the modern factory op rods are likely the same - I can't think of a good reason to use chromed steel instead.

Yeah, it may well be.  I need to go get the Rockwell Hardness tester from down in Florida and bring it back here and refresh my knowledge base and for testing/checking.  I have been doing all my own heat  treating lately and I like having that control over it.  Hate sending parts out not knowing if they are coming back to me with the required specifications.

Jack