AK Mags/ Most dependable

regular com blocs are great for 17 bucks or less, I have tapcos and they work good as well but need some fitting dependent on rifle. They can be had for 6 to 10 dollars on tapcos. I have yet to have one fail, stay away from promag for anything other than range use.

Im a great proponent of Tapco slabsides, but steel comblocks are the only ones I would trust my life with. When practicing speed changes, I have experienced failures with ALL the polymer mags (granted, I have no bakelite). The main problem seems to be the lockup at the front lug. Under 'range' pressure, poly mags load fine. But when going for speed, or under stress, or with a less-perfect grip, the poly mags have a greater tendency to 'slip' off the front lug, so when you try to rock the rear lug up, the whole mag flips forward and out.

Ive looked, and measured, and filed, and fitted, but cant get any of my poly mags to lock as securely as steel comblocks. The Tapco slabsides come close, but I still miss catching the front lug sometimes when changing with my off hand. STeel mags seem to magically ALWAYS catch the front lug just right to lock in with one smooth motion.

A secondary problem specific to Tapcos is that they are very slightly larger than steel mags. That also causes them to be problematic in guns with tight magwells. It does take some rattle out of guns with loose magwells though.

My SHTF guns always carry a Tapco mag in the well to trim weight, a 20 for 'run away' guns and a 30 for 'stay and fight' guns, but reloads are always steel comblocks.

Promags are great for failure drills at the range. They ALWAYS jam my rifles.

Edited by mostholycerebus

I wish to god they wood make a 20 round slab side tapco, I would be a buyer then. I know what you mean about the front lugs wanting to slip out, requires more thinking during changes but then again I am not going to war and neither is anyone here, so for all intensive purposes the tapcos work as well as any others to me and are very very durable. I have tried repeatedly to break them and just cant seem to do it without doing something stupid.

The best polymer mags are the circle mags but they are hard to find and expensive, so really metal com blocs are the easiest and least expensive choice.

What do you guys think about a aluminum ak magazine.

What do you experienced AK shooters recommend for mags?  I mean the most dependable that you would trust your life with.

Obviously, some people in this thread have a reading comprehension problem.  rolleyes.gif

Military surplus mags, all others are just range mags.

• Like 1

What do you experienced AK shooters recommend for mags?  I mean the most dependable that you would trust your life with.

Obviously, some people in this thread have a reading comprehension problem.  rolleyes.gif

Or a smartass. ;)

Bakelites, any Russian mag, Bulgarian waffles and Yugo's, are the most robust mags you can get. Yugo steel mags are absolute tanks!

Everything else, like mentioned are range toys.

Or a smartass. wink.png

Bakelites, any Russian mag, Bulgarian waffles and Yugo's, are the most robust mags you can get. Yugo steel mags are absolute tanks!

Everything else, like mentioned are range toys.

I forgot to mention your post, I did find it to be quite funny!  I also knew that you knew better.  032.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's hilarious people are clinging to "milsurp is the only way to go" ideas in here. Milsurp or "Mil spec" is not always the way to go. Most shooters using ARs will not use the "milsurp" mags. It's apples and oranges but people are laying down the milsurp in here like it's always gospel.

Okay, that said, Steel AK mags (from the major ex-Soviet countries) are pretty much good to go. There's a range of quality there which is why I think blanket statements are dumb. But metal Russian, German, Polish, Hungarian, an Egyptian mags are all good if they're in decent shape to start with.

I have a "combat load" of Bulgarian Circle 10's that will be my mags of choice if it hits the fan and I grab my AK. I also have several of the 20-rd Hungarian Tanker mags which are excellent. Neither of these is affordable, though.

I refuse to use the Pro Mag, Tapco, cheap Bulgarian plastic mags in a defensive strategy. I will use the cheaper Bulgy mags for range duty to save wear and tear on the others. I've got several steel mags. Multiple Chinese, Polish, and a Yugo one I bought by mistake (actually I was duped in an online sale). 

It depends on what you're willing to pay. I'd personally love to go all in with the Hungarian 20-rd mags because you can bring more of them and they aren't as awkward from prone and behind cover. Some people act like 20 rounds isn't enough. 7.62 x 39 is a fat tapered case, though, that's just the reality of it.

Whatever you do pick just make sure you practice with them and are rough on them so you know what they can take.

• Like 1

I don't really care that much, so long as the mag is not over the top flimsy (Promag). Steel, steel inserts? Great. If I get all-plastic mags that give a solid lockup and feel, I'm not worried. I've dropped and run over Polish and Tapco all-plastic mags, fully loaded, no problems. Yeah they might shear off a lug if you drop them loaded in the rifle from seven feet up onto concrete or hard pack. Guess what? Steel mags can also break and bend in the same situation, and so can your AK itself. So don't drop your damn rifle several stories onto a parking lot and you'll probably be fine.

Just make sure whatever you buy, you buy a LOT.  There's zero reason not to be swimming in mags of all varieties.

Edited by mancat

psa armory has yugo bho mags for 11.99 right now, I am saving up for some new bulgarian steel mags and some new polish tantal mags. The new bulgarian commericals I have are not reinforced in the lugs but they are metal lined in the front spine and feed tower. Ak mags unlike Ar mags have to be very robust to take serious abuse/ combat abuse, the round is heavy and definitely creates more stress on critcal points. I would like to see a domestic manufacturer make a thick aluminum ak magazine like the russian aluminum magazines, that would be the shit.

I think it's hilarious people are clinging to "milsurp is the only way to go" ideas in here. Milsurp or "Mil spec" is not always the way to go. Most shooters using ARs will not use the "milsurp" mags. It's apples and oranges but people are laying down the milsurp in here like it's always gospel.

Okay, that said, Steel AK mags (from the major ex-Soviet countries) are pretty much good to go. There's a range of quality there which is why I think blanket statements are dumb. But metal Russian, German, Polish, Hungarian, an Egyptian mags are all good if they're in decent shape to start with.

I have a "combat load" of Bulgarian Circle 10's that will be my mags of choice if it hits the fan and I grab my AK. I also have several of the 20-rd Hungarian Tanker mags which are excellent. Neither of these is affordable, though.

I refuse to use the Pro Mag, Tapco, cheap Bulgarian plastic mags in a defensive strategy. I will use the cheaper Bulgy mags for range duty to save wear and tear on the others. I've got several steel mags. Multiple Chinese, Polish, and a Yugo one I bought by mistake (actually I was duped in an online sale). 

It depends on what you're willing to pay. I'd personally love to go all in with the Hungarian 20-rd mags because you can bring more of them and they aren't as awkward from prone and behind cover. Some people act like 20 rounds isn't enough. 7.62 x 39 is a fat tapered case, though, that's just the reality of it.

Whatever you do pick just make sure you practice with them and are rough on them so you know what they can take.

This aint the world of AR's. The surplus magazines in the AK world are one huge piece in the overall reliability and reputation that they've adorned for decades.

• 2 weeks later...

milsurp AK mags will do the same thing straight polymer mags will, and then some. I just prefer to stick with what's proven. Edited by Captain Hero

I use tapcos quite a bit and I will say this, the quality in the polymer from 2 years ago to today is night and day difference, the newer mags seem to be more rigid and dimensioned properly, no filing. I have old tapcos that are bendable with just your fingers at the top of the mag you can really see the flex them.

The older tapcos break very easy and that has been my experience compared to the new ones, I get steel as well but the weight on the tapcos is a big plus and they have never gone wrong yet. Tapco replaced a broken mag when I just blatalantly broke one, the mag worked fine but I wanted to test my theory on the polymer strength, and tapco made it right. I have done the same tests negligent tests I did to break the old ones and could not do it on the new ones. Again my experience.

my .02 cents and there cheap at 8 to 9 bucks maybe less

Edited by dashowdy
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I wish I bought a crate of the Tanker mags a few years back when you could get three and the pouch for $20.

Thought about it then got distracted by something else. Best mags Ive ever used by my criteria.

For the range any old mag will do but...

Never go against surplus military issue when death is on the line.