Having a hard time removing the FSB pins. Any tips? I'm going to replace the whole thing, so I was thinking of just cutting it on either side, and tossing it. But if I don't have to, I'd rather not. So does anyone have any pointers? They've soaked in penetrating oil, and they just don't want to move with punches.

when you put them back in, chamfer the sharp edges on the pin ends and coat the pins with anti-seize - or maybe CLP like dashowdy uses. I use anti-seize on mine.

with these two steps the pins will pretty much glide back in with your driving tool of choice. the anti-seize will bleed out when you first shoot it, and the pins will be well-set.

Edited by mancat

I am gonna use that tip when I do the front end on my x39 mancat. I just use clp because i have deformed pins trying to get them in there, I will definitely chamfer the ends next time to make it a tad easier.

I used roll pins only because the original base on my wifes sar2 was canted and neutered. I was scared the old channels for the old pins on the canted base would screw up the new one when I went to put pins in,so I just went to 1/8 inch roll pins since 1/8 is 3.2 mm allowing me to use the existing channels but ream them a bit and line them up straight.

Just waiting on k-var to get some more 74 fsb in for my x39.

Awesome man good to hear, get some pics up once your done. I always put mine in with a little clp on them, makes em easier to remove if need be.

Will-do. I have the Bulgarian FSB installed, and I'm just waiting for some 1/8" drill rod to come in, and I'm going to make my own pins, since I am not using the old pin slots, the old pins are fairly marred up, and the ones that came with my FSB don't seem to match any of my bits. So for $3 for 1/8" drill rod from midway, I get the peace of mind I guess.

when you put them back in, chamfer the sharp edges on the pin ends and coat the pins with anti-seize - or maybe CLP like dashowdy uses. I use anti-seize on mine.

with these two steps the pins will pretty much glide back in with your driving tool of choice. the anti-seize will bleed out when you first shoot it, and the pins will be well-set.

I'll definitely try the anti-seize, thanks.

I am gonna use that tip when I do the front end on my x39 mancat. I just use clp because i have deformed pins trying to get them in there, I will definitely chamfer the ends next time to make it a tad easier.

I used roll pins only because the original base on my wifes sar2 was canted and neutered. I was scared the old channels for the old pins on the canted base would screw up the new one when I went to put pins in,so I just went to 1/8 inch roll pins since 1/8 is 3.2 mm allowing me to use the existing channels but ream them a bit and line them up straight.

Just waiting on k-var to get some more 74 fsb in for my x39.

I got this one:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-167B.html

It's a slightly loose fit, it could be whacked on with a hammer and block of wood, but it's a perfect FSB. My Arsenal '74 brake works well, it holds the cleaning rod well, so I'd recommend it. Expensive, probably more than it should be, but hell, I just wanted the rifle done.

Edited by Inebriated

does you're new fsb have pins in the bottom like the original or are they on the top? If they are on the top, how are you going about filing a new groove for the pins? only ask because I have been checking hardware stores for a small file for this purpose with no luck. 

They're at the bottom, and I'm just going to drill through the whole thing. Only reason I'm not using the old grooves is because the original FSB was considerably canted to the left. So I figure I'll just drill new holes, since it's likely the grooves are also canted.

And no problem, dashowdy.