3 gun mag setup

What are you guys doing for mag carrying for 3 gun with these ginormous mags?

Every idea, even carrying them the traditional way that I was carrying AR mags would give me problems depending on the stage and if we were shooting from prone or squatting etc.  The difference was that I could usually just carry less AR mags for the stage seeing as they were 30 rounders or jam them in a pocket etc since they were smaller and lighter.

I'm actually thinking that a vest might be one of the better options.  I don't even know what the rules will allow for this at bigger events aside from it being ok at the really local matches I shoot.  Some stages, I found it easiest to just put a few mags in a hip pouch or even just one in my back pocket.

I'm not crazy about vests.  Not flexible enough for my taste.    These are Saiga mags, but same principle applies -- use a clip that loops over your belt.    Fast, secure.  You stick on your belt however many you need and where ever you need them for that stage.depending on what other mags and holster you are wearing.  Never had one fall out.  Got these from R and R Targets, or you could easily make your own.  These shown on my right side (I'm a lefty)

post-31037-0-94000400-1383580270_thumb.jpg

post-31037-0-55395200-1383580279_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not crazy about vests.  Not flexible enough for my taste.    These are Saiga mags, but same principle applies -- use a clip that loops over your belt.    Fast, secure.  You stick on your belt however many you need and where ever you need them for that stage.depending on what other mags and holster you are wearing.  Never had one fall out.  Got these from R and R Targets, or you could easily make your own.  These shown on my right side (I'm a lefty)

+1

I start with a 15 or a pair of coupled 10s in the gun, and another 10 or 15 round mag on my belt (+ maybe one oh-shit 5 rounder in an M14 belt pouch) and that has covered pretty much everything Ive shot so far.

• Like 1

+1

I start with a 15 or a pair of coupled 10s in the gun, and another 10 or 15 round mag on my belt (+ maybe one oh-shit 5 rounder in an M14 belt pouch) and that has covered pretty much everything Ive shot so far.

+1

Start with an 18 rd Roulette mag.

Clip a 10 round over the belt.

Clip a 5 or possibly a 10 as a "All mags failed" backup.

The worst thing in a match is to have ANY mag fed weapon have a mag failure. Always carry at least one backup.

If the mags die and you have no extra the points down will put you at the bottom of the results instantly.

So will missing targets, forgetting about targets, thinking your mag is full when it isn't or going to war on one 280 yard rifle target until you time out and getting two 30 point down penalties because you never even engaged the last two targets...........ask me how I know.garfield.gif

Edited by ToysRUs
  • 2 weeks later...

So.....

That was pretty full of fail.

Mainly because I didn't get a chance to mess with all of my gear and such with the way the work week went.  It was also cold and rainy.  The plan was to use wraps of electrical tape to secure my hooks where I want them.  I bent simple U shapes out of 3/16" x 2" alum over a piece of 3/8" steel to minimize the rounding of the edges.  The rounded edges, cold, and cheap tape allowed the clips to ramp/pull over the ledge on the mags where I had it mounted.  I tried more tape.  And more tape.  And cross wrapping over the top edges with tape.  But they still fell.  It just wasn't the right way to do it.  I should have figured out where I wanted them and epoxied them on.  

I had two fall off the belt while simply moving. I gave up and stuffed one in my deep back cargo pocket on my pants......and that one went flying too.

I see a lot of guys using industrial velcro.  What do you guys think of that?

My observations.  I would put another bend in them.  Almost like a G but the bottom cup would be almost squeezed shut so the clip could not just pull out from under the tape.  I would use great tape like gorilla tape.  I would use as wide of a piece of alum as possible.  The mag is going to take up that much space anyway.  Might as well give yourself that much room on the clip for contact area with the tape.  I would test out velcro and epoxy again using as wide a piece of alum as possible.

Thanks for the help and ideas guys.

I use double back sticky tape, reinforced with electric tape, to hold on the bent belt clip.  Never has come loose.  Re: Mag couplers,  some of them have a common floor plate.  This puts both mags at the same level.  I don't like that design for the following reason -- when you insert the left mag, the right mag ends up very close to the charging handle.  I don't like a mag right below the handle.   I made my own coupler and offset the mags; the left side is higher than the right side.  When I switch to the left mag, the right mag is offset low enough to allow plenty of access to the charging handle.  See photos below.  Also, I find that a top round retainer is necessary, the recoil can shake loose the top round of the left mag.  It can either come all the way out, or come part way out and goof up your reload.  See the photo of the top round retainer trapping the top round of the left mag. 

post-31037-0-24701000-1384738028_thumb.jpg

post-31037-0-69401400-1384738063_thumb.jpg

post-31037-0-93629200-1384738073_thumb.jpg