Bought a used Gen 2 Kobra and the damn rotary power switch broke and fell off while firing to zero. Anyone know where you can get parts or have a fix via some Radio Shack parts and a soldering iron?

Edited by MT Predator
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought a used Gen 2 Kobra and the damn rotary power switch broke and fell off while firing to zero. Anyone know where you can get parts or have a fix via some Radio Shack parts and a soldering iron?

Welcome to the broken Kobra club! Mine broke about two years ago, and while I have not spent a lot of time searching, I have yet to come up with anything. I tried Tantal's (actually his daughter, who has taken over his business) because he reportedly had a machinist make up a batch of them, but did have not received a reply. With all of the people that have had this problem, I can't believe there is not a fix available on the net, or someone that has had another batch of knobs made! I will be watching this thread, and will let you know if I run across anything.

What happened to your PK-AS? I guess they are too inexpensive (retail) for someone to step up and offer repair services for them here in the US. I replaced mine with an Aimpoint T-1 (was used on a Saiga S-12, and now on a Molot VEPR 12). The T-1 is no comparison... in size or quality, but they are not cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed mine. I found a machine screw of appropriate size and length, then drilled out the center of the pot metal cam which is on the inside that activates the power. The hole was slightly smaller than the screw diameter so I could get the screw to cut threads into it. On the backside of that cam, I also spun the thinnest nut I had on to it. I had to Dremel it a little to gain the clearance needed for reassembly. I used red loctite to keep it all tight. Sadly, I didn't take photos of the progress but it didn't take long to do.

• Like 1

I fixed mine. I found a machine screw of appropriate size and length, then drilled out the center of the pot metal cam which is on the inside that activates the power. The hole was slightly smaller than the screw diameter so I could get the screw to cut threads into it. On the backside of that cam, I also spun the thinnest nut I had on to it. I had to Dremel it a little to gain the clearance needed for reassembly. I used red loctite to keep it all tight. Sadly, I didn't take photos of the progress but it didn't take long to do.

I will have to give this a try. I need to locate my Kobra... it was placed back in the original box, and thrown in with some spare parts years ago when it broke!

What happened to your PK-AS? I guess they are too inexpensive (retail) for someone to step up and offer repair services for them here in the US. I replaced mine with an Aimpoint T-1 (was used on a Saiga S-12, and now on a Molot VEPR 12). The T-1 is no comparison... in size or quality, but they are not cheap!

No idea.  It just won't light up anymore.  I gave it to my brother as a Christmas gift a few years ago.  When it stopped working, he brought it back to me, and I have been unable to find anybody who can service it.

• 1 month later...

No idea.  It just won't light up anymore.  I gave it to my brother as a Christmas gift a few years ago.  When it stopped working, he brought it back to me, and I have been unable to find anybody who can service it.

Mine has done the exact same thing. I bought it brand new and had not even put it on a weapon. When the build was done like 18-22 months later, I went to put it on and no illumination. Changed the batteries, cleaned the contacts (they were not corroded) and still nothing. I contacted Eastwave who said they could send it back to Belorussia and they might look at it. I blew that off because it would cost almost $50 and it would be several months and that's if they even looked at it..

I was using a SIG micro red dot on my Saiga S12 that died also - the battery was getting low during a shooting session so I shut it down. About a month later I was getting ready to take it out, I replaced the battery and turned it on but nothing happened - it was just dead! I did the same thing - cleaned the contacts (which were not dirty), tested the battery with a digital volt meter (it was new, and tested okay) but nothing made any difference. I have not bothered to contact SIG - I figured it was probably made in China, and they just slapped their name on it - and would not have much luck with them service it.