So I'm going to Navy OCS.. Any pointers?

Hey guys, I'm heading to Officer Candidate School up in Newport, RI next Friday and I was wondering if there are any members who have been and may have some tips/pointers.

I'm nervous as hell, but excited to start this new chapter and push myself to a place I've never been.

Hey guys, I'm heading to Officer Candidate School up in Newport, RI next Friday and I was wondering if there are any members who have been and may have some tips/pointers.

I'm nervous as hell, but excited to start this new chapter and push myself to a place I've never been.

I was in the Navy. Enlisted.

Don't think you are better or know more than the enlisted men or treat them as if they are below you just because you're an Officer. Be fair, be a leader. Stay away from girls with adams apples and big knuckles

• Like 2

Look at this and see what you want to be an O or an E

http://www.militaryrates.com/military-pay-charts.cfm

Now work your ass off to get it.

I retired an E and worked for a few Os that were prior in enlisted, some were the best of the best and a few I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. The good ones didn't have to prove they were an officer at every chance they got, they knew it and you knew it.

My dad retired a navy captain. He always said his #1 job was taking care of his guys. He spent a LOT of time helping everyone take full advantage of what the service offers, and setting them up for successful long term careers. Most of these enlisted are too young and dumb to understand the repercussions of their actions at that age. I cant count how many careers hes saved before they even started.

Thats why, when it was crunch time, everyone under him would bust their ass and get the job done right. He only really had problems with a couple guys (over a few decades) who shouldnt have been in the service. If you work hard for your people, they will work hard for you.

Its not like a 9-5, especially Navy. You live with these people, so see all the ugly bits too.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 1

Best advice: dont go and join the army instead.

Second best advice: before you leave check to see if your head fits up your ass. If it does not, ensure it stays that way. Many officers are ass hats to their subordinates. Respect to your title will exist regardless, but if your guys respect you they will do just about anything to make you successful. Also, be fair and remember that people are people and make mistakes, anything you can handle in house with some tough love and not take the UCMJ route is the better option. 

• Like 1

Always, always, take care of your troops! I was the guy who put my neck on the chopping block all the time for my team. If your baby was ugly, I didn't care if you were an O-6, I told you your baby was fucking ugly. My O-6 trusted me more as an E-7 because of that fact more than the the E-9s in the unit who would rather sugar coat Intel and try to stroke the Commander's cock. Plus the fact I had 55 pipe hitters under my control as Operators and all the E-9s were equal to me in the Org Chart but all of their personnel were support troops. Find your niche, kick ass at everything that you do and be absolutely honest but be constructive with any criticism to enhance the mission, not hamper it with political ass kissing bullshit commonly found in today's Military.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice guys! I have always thought of myself as level headed and fair, and far from a douchebag when it comes to managing or leading other. I firmly believe in leading by example, if I can't huff it, how can I expect anyone that is supposed to be in my command to do it? I will say though that I will be in the class right behind a real piece of work. He was in one of my fiance's classes in college, and he is the A-typical officer douche nozzle. He was quick to judge, and treated everyone in the group not as equals, but as subordinates even though they were all classmates! I figure I'll just observe him, and do everything he doesn't and I'll be good bad_smile.gif .

I am great friends with a prior enlisted who is now an O-2E. He is one of the smartest and hardest working people I know. He is living proof that just because someone isn't an officer, doesn't mean that they aren't capable or are anything less (though he became one later because the pay is better and he gets to fly UH-60s!). I did my pre OCS PRT with a group of Chiefs and I felt like one of the guys. They were great and had a solid blend of professionalism and conviviality.

Definitely not going Army. It's not that I have anything against it, it's just the Navy is in my blood. I grew up in the Naval aviation community and have always felt at home in it. Plus I have a buddy who is in the Rangers and he hates his life more than some grunts I know in the Corp. I wanna enjoy my life naaaa.gif

• Like 1

Rangers are meant to hate life, thats their job, which is why they are so adept at taking it away so easily from others.... HOOAH!!!!

Anyway, just treat people like they are human and how you would want your son treated and you will be successful and so will they. I do not envy anyone on those ships and it takes something that i could not do personally. I did bot mind living in dirt holes i dug because there was always ground under my feet.

Good luck and lead the way.

• Like 1

Officers that spent time in the enlisted ranks first ALWAYS make better officers!  (told to me by my father's artillery commander at my father's retirement party)

And when you become an O1, learn how to read a fricken MAP & COMPASS!!!! 

No! I think this is the best advice!

Thanks for the support guys. Jerry, I'm not 100% sure what you meant when you asked if I am flying, but I'll give it a shot answering your question. I will be flying up to Newport, RI for OCS and will not be taking my car. But after OCS I will be (if all goes well) flying down in my Navy career because I got picked up for a pilot a lot. Hope either of those answers your question!

Liberty, ya that's what I've heard. It's best to float in the middle of the pack. Otherwise the DIs will stick you with more responsibilities in a hard enough situation for no real gain, or will ride your ass raw if you are falling behind. It's best to "blend in".

I'll give that book a read Stryker!

• Like 1

Best of luck to you in your new venture.  Thank you for your service to our country.  Maybe when the dust settles some time out in the future you can drop by the forum and give us an update on how things are going and which advice proved the best in your experience.  Good luck again.

OCS is a factory designed to churn out officers in bulk.  They will tell you how to act, talk, walk, think, and frankly poop.  Period.  They will pump your brain full of exactly what they want.  Once you graduate you will be an ensign.  Bottom of the heap.  The only person at that point that has an opinion that matters will be your division Chief Petty Officer.  Yes, a lowly E-7, and if you cross him or her, they will make your life a living hell.  The enlisted men work for you, and the Chiefs control them.  Just sit back, enjoy the ride, and see where it takes you.

• Like 1

OCS is a factory designed to churn out officers in bulk.  They will tell you how to act, talk, walk, think, and frankly poop.  Period.  They will pump your brain full of exactly what they want.  Once you graduate you will be an ensign.  Bottom of the heap.  The only person at that point that has an opinion that matters will be your division Chief Petty Officer.  Yes, a lowly E-7, and if you cross him or her, they will make your life a living hell.  The enlisted men work for you, and the Chiefs control them.  Just sit back, enjoy the ride, and see where it takes you.

They also have senior DIs now from Camp Lejeune and Quanitco, most being Gunnery or First Sergeants, to 'assist' in all the above activities. They merged OCS Aviation with regular OCS  back in 07' and brought the DIs along for the ride.

I wouldn't call an E-7 lowly though as most have been in for over a decade and know their shit pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

Treat your underlings right and remember that you have a hostile Commander and Thief who hates the military so you need to work together with the enlisted until the Obummer nightmare ends.  Look at the feminine hats he is forcing the Marines to wear to humiliate them.  He is trying to gut the military of the fine men and women who are loyal to this country and turn the military into another progressive experiment.

Thanks for your service to this nation.

Edited by uzitiger

Thanks for the support guys. Jerry, I'm not 100% sure what you meant when you asked if I am flying, but I'll give it a shot answering your question. I will be flying up to Newport, RI for OCS and will not be taking my car. But after OCS I will be (if all goes well) flying down in my Navy career because I got picked up for a pilot a lot. Hope either of those answers your question!

Liberty, ya that's what I've heard. It's best to float in the middle of the pack. Otherwise the DIs will stick you with more responsibilities in a hard enough situation for no real gain, or will ride your ass raw if you are falling behind. It's best to "blend in".

I'll give that book a read Stryker!

Good luck and focus