Is there US made sporter buttstock for Saiga?

Does anyone offer a US-made sporter (Saiga) rear stock? Either wood or plastic would be fine. Alternatively....has anyone used the front mounting "plug" of the Russian Saiga rear stock that is cut-off and reused?...and attached to some kind of "other brand" rear wood stock using this plug....like maybe using a modified Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 piece to get there?

Don't ask "why".....it's complicated.... but relates to 922r.

• Like 1

I really don't want to enter into an argument as to whether 922r applies for the case I have...as the weird specifics of my case, may prove to be grey-area as to interpretation. One way to get around "grey" and make it "black or white"....is if another US made piece can be fitted. A buttstock would be one way as a form of insurance against a bad 922r call... and I may prefer to see that for other reasons too...for example a wooden version may result in better weight balance, etc.

So... if you don't mind, let's not get into the "why 922r?" question...and keep it to topic. I agree, so far I've seen nothing offered in the marketplace.

The stock should work the same. The forend would be the only different part, since it is made to fit around fat barrels with a different mounting screw location. He ought to be able to make a forend out of wood with a table saw and a belt sander that would look decent.

I am going to take it that you moved the trigger group forward, if not then no thumbhole stock is going to fit on your rifle without doing that.

ATI makes a sporter stock, dragunov style. which looks a lot nicer then some of the other sporter stocks I have seen.

opplanet-ati-ak-47-mak-90-maadi-fiberfor

I can't make a link to the ATI  website, so I'll PM you a active link.

if you don't like that style, just do GOOGLE search for "AK SPORTER/THUMBHOLE  STOCK" there are few different ones  out there

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

That Dragunov style is not legal in New York...as it is seen as being "thumb-hole" with a distinctive pistol grip.

NYS "SAFE" Act...... New Yorkers know the score.

Edited by IPSC45

didn't know that thumbhole stock are now illegal. so what you are looking for is the same kind of stock that is on there now, except made in the US.  as far as I know no such stock exist, at least not yet. so you're probably going to have to take a standard fudd  hunting stock modify the front of it to fit in the rear trunnion, or do what you said, taking the "plug" off and attach it to a fudd stock.  either that or find a company or person that can reproduce that stock

With no malice intended, I am surprised many of us don't know what's happened in New York State in the past year. It has made the national press, and has been discussed over-and-over in gun forums like this. It was a law forced into existence Jan 15, 2013, in an illegal overnite, 4 hour session by Governor Cuomo. No public debate allowed either, as would have been done for other pending laws. Illegal. Unconstitutional.

Only one "evil" feature allowed. Removable mag. That's it. No "obvious" pistol grip, no thumb-hole grip, no no flash hiders, no muzzle brakes, no collapsible or folding stocks, no 30 round magazines of any kind, either post-ban or pre-ban , no (wait for it !), no 10 round magazines !....ONLY 7 round magazines. WHAT? Yes....no matter that there ARE NO 7 round magazines available ! (This point was later rescinded to allow possession of 10 rd mags, but can't load up more than 7 unless on a range). People already have been arrested here on Felony charges when police found mags loaded up over 7 rounds. The law allows possession of an Assault Rifle, but only if you "register" as being an "Assault Rifle" owner. Won't happen. We all know what comes next if we do. The law allows any of these, before April 2014:

1.) Selling your Assualt weapon to a NYS arms dealer

2.) Selling your Assualt weapon out-of-state

3.) Keeping the weapon, but registering.

4.) Modifying the gun to "Sporter" status, and not having to register.

See here when angry Fudds get together at a local "town hall" meeting I attended in February, to get a flavor why so many of us are livid angry--->

And here's another showing the county-by-county resistance and lawsuits being brought up within NYS. Saying they will not abide by the law--->

So yeah....maybe I'm being a bit gruff about this,( my apologies in advance)... but it also points to the fact that we, as gun owners, generally don't really give a figg what's happening someplace else, until the bad law stares US...DIRECTLY.... in the face. Only when it happens to us. Ask yourself, isn't this true?. Not only as gun owning individuals, but also as to the many gun organizations who DID NOT form a coalition and act TOGETHER on local and national anti-gun laws? Did you see NRA combine efforts with NSSF ( National Shooting Sports Federation), and other gun groups to provide a united front?. No....they were either silent or each gave their own news responses individually, and were eaten alive by the liberal/leftist press.

Sorry if I am coming across gruff....but this has my shackles raised, and I can't believe we don't know what's going on in other states. We know about the California "button" law right?...to make removable mags difficult by using a key or tool? Then why not happenings elsewhere? We gotta do better as a group.

OK, getting down from my pulpit....yes, the question is are there "Sporter" stocks available. I think not. I think I may just use a Rem 870 buttstock using the front-end of discarded Saiga stock that enters the receiver...somehow joined together. Was hoping for a more commercial solution.

Edited by IPSC45

Was hoping for a more commercial solution.

honestly, it wouldn't  make a whole lot sense for someone or some company to pour in the money for making one, if there is just a super small market for it. ie NYS.

fact is,  when companies make something it's because there is a huge  market for it, ie. SAIGA drums,  and it's worth their while to make it,  they not only recoup their original investment but make a profit. which is what it's all about :)

sometimes, you just  have to use your ingenuity to make or  modify existing things for something you want.

I made or modified things for my firearms that don't exist in the commercial venue, simply because I wanted it. like a PPS43 drum, 100 round BETA drum for my SAR3 and SLR-106UR, a range cart. I'm still working on a 100 round (5.45mm) AK 74 drum. 

Understood. It still asks the question: Is the market for a wooden sporter Saiga stock so small as to not provide it? Ironwood seems to make this for the Shotgun Saiga sporter, I would think an even smaller market--->

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWSaiga_2.html

Scroll down about 1/2 way....

Understood. It still asks the question: Is the market for a wooden sporter Saiga stock so small as to not provide it? Ironwood seems to make this for the Shotgun Saiga sporter, I would think an even smaller market--->

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWSaiga_2.html

Scroll down about 1/2 way....

well, there you go, the stock you seek. your search is over.

Well...two things....

1.) I paid $350 for the rifle....I'm not about to pay $316 ( incl shipping) for wood.

2.) It's not made for the centerfire guns...but I have an inquiry out as to what Ironwood can do for me..if anything. At that point I'll make the stock myself from another brand rear stock.

• 4 months later...

Easy for "others" to say don't follow unconstitutional law..... until the jack-booted SWAT team comes to your door...tough talk. See my post #10 above. There is grass-roots resistance and law-suits in-play already.

As to what I'm doing now?....right now nothing...... by using a regular Saiga rear stock. Simply wanted to get more 922r compliant parts embedded into the gun "just-in-case". There is ample evidence to suggest 922r no longer applies....but I'm not taking any further chances.

Edited by IPSC45

I support IPSC45's prudence.  We need to stay legal.  Personally, the way I am using my Saiga-12, 922 ® compliance is not required by federal law, but I am building the shotgun to be 922 ® compliant anyway, just in case.  We need to bend over backwards to make sure we are so in compliance with the law that we can not even be challenged.  We need to remain in compliance with legislative, administrative, and judicial decisions.   I know for a lot of you, that doesn't feel good, but if and when push comes to shove, how many of you will actually trade your freedom and that of your families for what you believe?  I'm willing to bet not many.  Only then will you see what prudence really is.  Let's just keep it legal and have fun.

Sorry about my computer changing parenthesis r parenthesis to the legal restricted symbol.  I'll have to have a talking with it about that.

\\\ when the Dear government says to be in compliance you must deactivate our turn in your saiga are you going to comply?

And 922ris designed to screw importers. Once the weapon is in your hands just dont make it fullauto and youll be fine.