Competition only use.. Vepr 12 vs: Saiga 12

I shoot a self-modified Saiga 12 in low level local competition. All the goodies, polished bolt, gas plug, magwell, and on. I use mostly SGM 12 rd.  mags & 1300/1245 fps x 71/2 shot. The gun generally runs well, say 98% of the time..... no complaints really. Is the Vepr with the self regulating gas system a better platform to begin with???. I see that some of the original Vepr's with the wooden stock are priced less than the new models with the "welded" folding stock.... (I'll be doing all the usual Saiga mods to the Vepr so either will work for me at this point OR do the late model imports have any ADDED mods which makes the price difference up???..Nuts and bolts... is the Vepr "better" for competition purposes???.. Mike

The V12 kicks slightly harder too, and the consensus of most posts I see about them is that most of them want a little hotter ammo than S12 absent race tuning.

The only meaningful gain I see there is the LRBHO. If you didn't have the gun already, the V12 is a sensible way to get the features you've got. If you change, you will be spending a lot of money on magazines for a very slim gain, if any. 

You say yours runs 98%  - - -  What is causing your 2% problems? It seems like this is a better place to focus.

Is it feed angle type problems or something to do with the cycling energy/friction/ spring balance? Maybe tweak the ammo a little?

If your load is at least 1 oz, that ought to be plenty of power for either platform, even with standard springs and all that.

I think GunFun is asking the right question.  Why isn't yours running 100%? It should be with the ammo you're running.   I use my Saiga in competition and I see nothing the Vepr brings to the table that I don't already have.  For me anyway, get the last 2% out of what I had rather than start over.

My 2% problem... When using one of the SGM x 12 rd. mags, I'll sometimes have a partially ejected hull hanging while trying to feed the next rd. Doesn't happen all the time, easy to clear (just "slap" the hung rd. out and rack the bolt forward). This usually happens somewhere around the 5th/6th round as far as I can tell...Then again, I can run the same mag dry,.... no problems...Info, "puck" is on #6, 4 ea. .092 gas ports, JTE light rear spring, feed ramp polished, AK extractor spring, bolt/hammer/everything is polished, CSS Molot style comp w/ choke. Always run 1245/1300 fps x 71/2 ammo.

Edited by mikeAZ

Generally, the fired hull is only partially ejected (hung partially in the port)...I'm shooting fast, plate rack/or/steel fall down which activates a vertical fly-up clay bird...(Usually, want to have 2 birds in the air at once, so 2 steels shot activate  2 birds, then shoot birds)..As I say, doesn't all ways happen even with the same 12 rd. mag....Stages are generally 25 + rounds. For comparison, there is a gentleman who shoots an R&R Saiga 16 round mag gun.... I've only seen one failure of his shotgun (was exactly the same ... hung hull)..   Both guns shoot the same load 1300 fps x 71/2 shot. Mike

Yes, that would be a BIG +... I'd hoped the auto gas system was a HUGE improvement just in reliability... doesn't look like it?...(I know "they" all need tweaking). Running these guns hard and reliability is the answer for competition...I bought a early a Firebird Akdal... bought before all the little gremlins were known...sold it... built another Saiga 12..... HA !!... had a CDNN $189 Saiga 12 a few  years ago.. Should have just kept it... Mike

Edited by mikeAZ