Poly-Choke installation question

I am looking for some comments on the installation of a standard poly choke I just got. I screwed it onto the barrel of my Saiga 12 and when I tighten it all the reference hole that I thought should be on top is turned past the top at about a 5 o'clock position looking at the muzzle. This makes it hard to see what choke setting you're on. So I soaked the threads really good with some red locktite and left it so the reference hole is on top. After doing this I was looking at the installation guide (I know Bass Ackwards) and it says something the effect that on Saigas to tighten all the way down. So has anybody experienced this besides me and if you did what did you do and how's it holding up if you did the same as I did. Thanks for any help

Rick

You will be Sooooo sorry you ever put thread-lock on it, I almost twisted my barrel trying to get mine off without having thread-lock on it, broke the little tool that comes with it and had to use a small pipe wrench. When I reinstalled it, after the gas block work, I put anti-seize on it. Good luck with it.

Just tighten all the way.  It is not an indexing hole.  It's a hole for the little spanner wrench to got into.  Be sure to disassemble regularly- leave attached to the gun but just unthread the outside part all the way,  the inside will foul. 

I think the "tighten all the way down" remark  you're referring to here is in reference to what you're supposed to do to a ALREADY CORRECTLY INSTALLED Poly Choke after taking it apart for routine cleaning (so you don't blow the sleeve portion off of it (by having it on too loose) the next time you fire it) . :unsure:

And yeah, I don't think my index hole lines up exactly on anything, and I had Nitram, Inc. (the makers of the thing) "professionally" install it for me. :eek:

Mine is about 10 o'clock.  It was a little off in the bore alignment, but a few slugs fixed that.  I wouldn't worry about thread locking it!  I did degrease the reference and hit it with white Testor's enamel, and it's still pretty good after 1000 rnds of mag dumps. (lots of heat to bake it)

post-22674-0-37389900-1384057985_thumb.jpg I guess I'm a little anal about stuff like this. I had an old 20ga Ithaca 37 that had a poly choke installed back in the early 60's and the reference mark was on top and was part of the vented rib. It just looks better to me, I have read through several posts on different forums and the consensus says it is fine. I only had to back it off less than a quarter turn as it turned out to make the reference mark on top. I did use the red locktite as I don't intend on doing any more to it than I have. The gap between the coke and the barrel is barely detectable using my finger in the bore. I finished the camo job on it and I'm ready to re-sight it in. Planning on doing that tomorrow so that it is ready for opening day of Deer season next Saturday. Thanks for all your responses

Thank you, not bad for the first time. If I were to do it again I think I would have more of the khaki tan. I left the gun it's natural black then added the camo. When I started the camo and only had stripes of tan over the black it was very broken up and blended in with the osb board I was using to spray on.

• 3 weeks later...

What about using the locking nut the CSS sells for that purpose?

The locking nut isn't for the polychoke. The Polyckoke has a radius edge and the interior lip is meant to be tightened to the crown of the barrel. This will help prevent fouling. 

Get some white "Hard as Nails" finger nail polish..... Screw the Poly-Choke all the way down.... Then just mark the settings, it's easy to see them then... They DO work, I'd pattern different loads so you can see for yourself.