So, I just picked up a really nice M44. 

I started looking it over and found a Molot "bn" arsenal mark on the barrel under the upper hand guard but everything else is marked izhmash (arrow in a triangle). Why would it have the Molot marking on it?

Pic...

post-20217-0-58949700-1383962488.jpg

• 2 months later...

Internet bullshit. They are all fine unless you get someone's bubba'd mistake. People want to inspect them and claim problems cause to them mismatched parts and dark barrels are a no no. What do they expect from rifles that went through at least one world war? I have ones built in 1895 that went through one revolution, two world wars and countless countries and conflicts.....still function like they should

Some of them come full of cosmoline and need heavy cleaning before firing.

So I went into Gander Mountain today and they had a Polish M44 on the used rack, all by its lonesome. Priced at about what the Chinese types are going for. Had to get it, pick it up tomorrow. Stock is dark and rough (textured), rest of it looks pretty good. Doesn't appear to be counter bored but they didn't have any x54r to check it. 

No noticeable import markings.
Any input on them?

Edited by Mullet Man

Bore looks good, shiny, smooth, no pitting.

Butt plate does not match numbers and it fits the stock with a very noticeable gap.

Appears to have the correct brass barrel bands. I think the stock is wrong tho. Its a 1952 and from what I've been reading, early Polish m44's shouldn't have a metal band at the rear and only the lower half band in front for the sling mounts. And the cleaning rod appears to be wrong as well, and its shorter then the one on my Russian m44 by about 2-1/2"

Everything else looks correct and in decent condition.

CAI import, tiny markings at the muzzle end.

Where to look for m44 wood?

Edited by Mullet Man
  • 4 weeks later...