My first rifle was an Air Rifle, old Benjamin Sheridan, Silver Streak.

I wish I still had it, the new ones suck, the old ones were great.

Now I've a Beeman Sportsman RS2 Series, with barrels for .177 and .22 cal pellets.

This is my backyard squirrel getter and crow killer.

I also have a Daisy Red Rider that I bought for my son to prove to me he could safely/responsibly handle a rifle.

I love it, it is dead nuts accurate to 20 yards and has provided my son and I endless cheap plinking in the backyard.

Seriously, if you haven't had fun with a bb gun for awhile, buy one.

That Drozd sounds cool!  Does it use a air cylinder for the burst?

Have thought about using liquid air, but the cylinder would have to have enormous strength to handle a liquid/air phase change.  But the upside would be using real bullets at about powder driven pressures, and using a gas regulator to change ballistics. (military wanted that with their liquid propellant idea)  Plus full-auto and supressors would not be ATF regulatable.

LOL.... A few years ago I went to one of those travelling tool sales. "Cummings" I think. Anyway I bought one of the Chinese $19.99 training .177 caliber pellet , "1100 FPS" cheapo air rifles. It has far exceeded my expectations. I have taken small game with it and it is a tack driver on paper at 25 yards. Someday I'd like to Chrono it to see how many FPS it actually gets.

That's about all the experience I have with air guns since I was a kid. One thing is for sure. It is not a toy. 

Daisy 88. Yeah yeah, its what I had as a kid.

Have you seen "Ted's holdover" channel on YouTube? He's from your neck of the woods and does some badass airgun vids..

Yep. I'm subscribed. He's so cheerful as he shoots critters!

He has a series on how to get a super accurate and quiet air rifle at different price points too. I'm inclined to trust his judgement on the subject.

• Like 1

Favorite practical (can go out and shoot without bringing along a pump/scuba tank): Gamo silent Stalker Whisper (got it last week to rplace an older model after discussions on another forum). Great shooter, very quiet for a springer. Squirrels fear me!

Favorite impractical: Benjamin Maurauder. Dont have one yet, but plan to get one in .22. Nothing like 900+ ft/sec with nothing but a mouse fart!

My son bought himself a .177 Benjamin Sheridan years ago and I epoxied a scope rail to it and mounted a cheap .22 scope.

I have logged more hours shooting it than he has.

A tack-driven, it's not. The gas system vibrates, when fired but, I did wing a crow at about 300 feet (watched the feathers fall as he flew away).

It could be used to take small meals. :)

LOL.... A few years ago I went to one of those travelling tool sales. "Cummings" I think. Anyway I bought one of the Chinese $19.99 training .177 caliber pellet , "1100 FPS" cheapo air rifles. It has far exceeded my expectations. I have taken small game with it and it is a tack driver on paper at 25 yards. Someday I'd like to Chrono it to see how many FPS it actually gets.

That's about all the experience I have with air guns since I was a kid. One thing is for sure. It is not a toy.

I was tempted to get one of those, years back. The reviews I read were good.

I believe the air seal is leather. Keep it well oiled.

Edited by Sim_Player

Daisy 88. Yeah yeah, its what I had as a kid.

Have you seen "Ted's holdover" channel on YouTube? He's from your neck of the woods and does some badass airgun vids..

Yep. I'm subscribed. He's so cheerful as he shoots critters!

He has a series on how to get a super accurate and quiet air rifle at different price points too. I'm inclined to trust his judgement on the subject.

Yeah for sure. His scope cam vids are great!

I killed a lot of birds as a kid with that model 88. My black lab ate well when we went into the woods behind the farm. Eight years old and i used to go into the local Caseys to buy copperhead bb's and pointed tip pellets.

I've been wanting a shrouded CA .22 for a while. I've got lot's of tanks and a few scuba tanks so having one of those would be very convenient.

Oddly in my family, I had a couple firearms before anyone had a pellet gun or BB gun.

My cousin gave my brother one of those crosman pump pistols. Not the most accurate, but reasonable power. My brothers were terrible shots, and we had a gully near our house full of orchard rubbish. It was just crawling with small game. My little brother asked if he could hunt for pheasants and no one took him very seriously because he would miss cans at ~15'... He came home with a pheasant cock he got with a headshot. So he'd been poaching. We ate the pheasant and the rule was clarified that no illegal hunting was to be done.

I think Ted's was recommending accurizing a Benjamin model for the budget varminter.

I know I would love to have one of those Drozd toys made by baikal. Maybe less practical, but it sure looks fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__sK3zUs4Qc

Again the HPA gear I have for paintball would be handy because all these fancy HPA pellet guns are mostly using paintball tanks and regulators. 

To really make them shoot well, you need to buy oversize lead BBS. Those aren't quite as cheap, but still a lot cheaper than .22lr and a slide fire. ROF is much higher too. (not as high as I've clocked with my e2'd WGP orracle though.)

The Drozd was easy to increase the RPM on. I just changed the R/C time constant.. On a cold day, three or four six round bursts would lower the temp of the 12 gram CO2 capsule enough to freeze the CO2 into a little dry ice ball, so I have to take it easy on cold days, or waste CO2 capsules. I was thinking of converting it over to use a paintball cylinder, but the novelty has worn off, and I hardly use it now...

Here's a couple pics of the new Drozd in their latest incarnations. They can be professionally modded to FA fire, with bulk CO2 tank connections, now. That was strictly DIY when I got mine.... I posted the 1st FA mod for these on the Baikal Drozd forum some years ago...I'm glad the idea took hold.

baikal-drozd-blackbird-bb-gun-mp-661k-17

baikal-drozd-bb-gun-177-caliber-w-smg-ba

...while it's NOT a firearm, full auto BBs will certainly make for a persuasive argument!

...Beware a EE with firearms knowledge!

Edited by patriot

A year or two back I tried to buy another Benjamin (no longer Benjamin Sheridan) and I separately brought home two and each one had a defect out of the box. Canted front sight, bent front sight post and bad cocking mechanism.

Then at the store, the manager and I opened the last three on the shelf and all had defects, canted sights, bad finishes on wood and a bolt that didn't seat properly.  Five airguns and all five F'd up...  Such a shame, disgusted, I gave up and bought the Beeman.

Wrote Benjamin about it, never heard back.

A couple of years ago I got into high-$$$ air rifles. I have a 10 Meter Olympic rifle that is literally a 10-shot perfect hole that you would swear was only a single shot. It is loud and the sites are only meant for targets but it is the ultimate in accuracy.  

For dispatching varmints (rabbits and squirrels mainly but could take larger game as well) out to 50+ meters, I use a .22 caliber Logan 16S. It is quieter than my son's Red Ryder. At 35 meters it is a single ragged hole when shooting off a sandbag and I am sure that is more me than the gun. Roughly the same knock-down power as a .22 short but way more accurate. Also cool that it comes with a 2x8 rotary mag so can keep your eye on the target as you load the next round.  

I have been looking at some of the big-bore airguns (9mm and .38) but have not found a compelling need yet to get one (yet).

I've got a couple benjamin Sheridan PGPs. Classic brass in .68. They are a lot of fun, but take a lot of skill to hold your own. It's interesting to see that sheridan's old models used the pg and trigger mech from crosman units, and they put them on pellet guns, BB and paintball guns. I'd love to have a Sheridan KP2. I've played with one and I need one badly.

Benjamin -

walnut stock & forearm, mirror nickel finish, solid brass air chamber and receiver,rifled barrel

032.gif

Nice! I purchased a .20 cal just like this when I was a kid. Killed a bunch food with it. Pain in the ass to pump up to the level but was a good shooter. Not sure why I got a .20 cal. It did save my ass when some drunk asshole accused me of shooting his dog. Cops came over to talk to me. I love dogs and they had a pellet from the dog. I had a .20. they had a .177. Case closed. :)

• Like 1

I have a bunch of different air rifles and pistols. My favorites are mostly (RWS) Diana. They are now imported by Umarex.

Currently, since the weather sucks, My favorite rifle is the IZH-60. I got this one because there was no need to have a stupid multi shot clip on this rifle. They offer it with a 5 or 6 round clip. They did make an early version that had a metal receiver. If you find this rifle, buy it. The new ones are ABS plastic and are good but I just like metal more.

This rifle is for TARGET SHOOTING. It will hang with rifles that cost hundreds if not thousands more. NO SHIT! If you shoot 10m targets this rifle will blow you away. If you are not a target shooter, it will frustrate you because your posture sucks and it can't penetrate a soda can at 25 feet. It's for punching holes in paper and that's it.

It's easy as hell to cock and super fun to shoot. It can be found online for around 100 bucks. You can put target sights on it if you want. It comes with AK type sights.

This rifle is Izhmash and made in Russia, hammer forged barrel and designed to train youth how to kill americans with AK 74'spost-24315-0-31636800-1384188894_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stryker0946

Diana Model 48 for long shots.

A modified Drozd @ 1100FPS/6rd burst for the close stuff.

I would LOVE one of those. How hard is it to get that kind of velocity?

OOPS! TYPO! I meant RPM. FPS can be tweaked to almost 800FPS by playing with the solenoid dwell time, but it gets really loud and wastes gas.

Most people just drop in a $35 chip. Velocity can also be tweaked by boosting the input pressure. There are lots of good variable input regulators.

With HPA gas usage for something like that is no big deal.