When did "normal" change in America?

"Politically Correct" speech doesn't recognize this term.

Most of us know what the outcome will hold (we will be speaking in closets soon).

I define freedom as not needing to be watching like a child.

I am deeply curious and perplexed how America went sideways so fast.

Your thoughts.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Fast? No it's been a slow residual creep for the last two decades at least. 9/11 gave them justification to crank up the police state. The media has always slanted liberal and has gone full on attack mode since then. Just look at what is now accepted and considered "normal" in network entertainment. One network has a comedy where a homosexual male couple have "adopted" a baby. Other networks have weekly crime dramas focusing on sadistic murders and serial killers. Still others prefer to show any idiot who will hold still long enough to make a ass of themselves and they call that "reality" tv. 

Attack the family unit, attack the church dynamic, blame the teachers and parents, tell us when mass murders occur monthly in so called "gun free" zones that guns are the reason for the killing and the fact that the victims were systematically disarmed isn't, and you see their method. You have a government that spies on it's own citizenry to an extent that would have made the USSR and East Germany blush, yet tells us it's for our security, a President who has been caught in so may bald faced lies to the American public that surely any human with an intelligence level slightly above simian has to know they can no longer believe a word from his mouth, and yet millions still idolize this pathetic excuse of a leader.

As you stated, to the herd "normal" is what the government TELLS you it is, shows you it is, and teaches you through repetition what it is. I wonder how much longer people like you and I will even be allowed to freely discuss questions like this one. At the rate things are going the internet will soon be censored here the way it is in China, and 90% of the population sadly will neither care nor even notice...

• Like 3

JPanzer pretty well covered it.

PMI- They're not vegetables, they're weeds, and they've overrun the place! :(

Why is it every time this adminstration talks about "common sense measures," it's guaranteed that no common sense will be part of it?!

• Like 1

I am not being a smart ass as I must ask;

Why keep asking this question?

We know exactly how we got here, we were warned this would happen, assured it would occur, know how it ends up though history and reason, and this is huge... have so for thousands of years.

No man's individual story can be told ahead of time, each man determines his fate to the extent that he has free will, a choice, in all matters.

But the story of this... civilization... the lives of billions... is on a railroad track to a known and entirely predictable end.

All for the lack of acknowledging one inescapable and detested fact in this lust for power, men are unfit to rule other men. 

Good intentions be damned, and are.

• Like 1

I am not being a smart ass as I must ask;

Why keep asking this question?

We know exactly how we got here, we were warned this would happen, assured it would occur, know how it ends up though history and reason, and this is huge... have so for thousands of years.

No man's individual story can be told ahead of time, each man determines his fate to the extent that he has free will, a choice, in all matters.

But the story of this... civilization... the lives of billions... is on a railroad track to a known and entirely predictable end.

All for the lack of acknowledging one inescapable and detested fact in this lust for power, men are unfit to rule other men. 

Good intentions be damned, and are.

This. Corruption is an inevitable facet of government. We are experiencing the kind of corruption that destroyed Rome.

After WW2 there was a huge push to educate the masses about what happens when a govt. becomes totalitarian and we were taught what signs to look for.

I'm completely flabbergasted at what I see happening to American Society today.

When Europeans look at us and say, "WTF?", you know things are getting bad.

Jpanzer and Rhodes1968, two of the most "common sense" posts I have ever read! I am 100% on the same page as Rhodes. This has happened to every civilized culture since creation, yet we ignore the history???? Jpanzer is simply illustrating how easy it is to brain wash and control the masses in our "great" age of technology. Attack of the church dynamic and acceptance there of, will be our demise. The BIBLE and history has shown us countless times what happens when we neglect or turn our back to GOD. 

• Like 1

I agree, you don't have to be a Christian to be a good person and have common sense.  The churches of the world are just as bad as the corrupt governments, religion is a tool used to control the mindless masses. (I'm not trying to put down anyone's beliefs here, just making a point.)

Edited by Road Warrior
  • Like 2

"common sense" died a long time ago. and it hasn't anything to do with "PC" or  not believing in a mythical "god". a shit load of people generally are stupid, and don't think things through.

One does not have to be Christian (a label that may or may not mean anything) or rather be a man of conviction and faith in the Creator of all to have common sense, good sense, or humane.

But just as a man does not have to be a qualified marksman to wield a rifle, if a man is guided in his efforts, understands the truth of the matter, and builds his confidence through study and practice to become a marksman then that rifle becomes a terrible weapon indeed and much more likely to see him though the abyss.

It is a difficult road to walk in this world without a guide. Eventually it will be impossible, this we see now is only a foreshadow of what awaits this poor race.

• Like 2

A lot of good words up there above me. When I look to things as major contributors, I see the great wealth squandered in to debt for the benefit of the masses to live hedonistic lives. When life was so great for so long, people stop paying attention: dope for the non dope taking masses. Then I see the break in the family, which i think has more to do with the second family member working also. Now, even if you stay together, no ones pays enough attention to the kids to raise them correctly, or even care.

Last, i see we are busier than ever if we do work. Many just dont have time to voice their opinions to the public, no one goes down to the VFW or local firemans spaghetti dinner on friday. Its now considered impolite to discuss politics because people just want to get along.

All this is from overworked families and lack of family values, helped by a healthy dose of hedonism.

Those who turned their backs on God have doomed this once-great Nation, created on HIS ideals.

The Founding Documents bear this out as truth.

Yea....clearly....'!?!?!?! So I did all, or some, of this cause I don't believe in fairy tales! To me "common sense" starts with having sense to know a fairy tale from real life

• Like 2

Those who turned their backs on God have doomed this once-great Nation, created on HIS ideals.

Yea....clearly....'!?!?!?! So I did all, or some, of this cause I don't believe in fairy tales! To me "common sense" starts with having sense to know a fairy tale from real life

To each their own. I am a believer. If you are not, that is your choice. I don't judge anyone who thinks differently, isn't my job and I have no time for it. Just negotiating the day to day bullshit we as "citizens of the United States of America" have to put up with is enough to fill my plate for now. It should be that way for all of us who can think for ourselves...

I have noticed a "dumbing down" of people generally during the past twenty years combined with a sense of entitlement, lack of responsibility and disregard for work.  It used to be that people would work hard, strive to own their own home, save some for retirement, have a retirement plan, health insurance and a close family to retire on. 

Now I see many, many people with nothing:  no home, no retirement, no security whatsoever, except that they spend a lot of money on toys.  The worst part is that they have no clue how bad off they are. 

We have a joke here, "what's the difference between the people in (bad part of town) and (ritzy part of town)?  At least he people in the (bad part of town) KNOW they're poor!"  There is also a saying to describe some of them: "all flash, no cash."   It is clear that they expect "someone" to take care of them and pay off their credit cards if they become disabled or when they are too old to work. 

To make sure that it wasn't just my imagination I have been taking an informal poll of business lawyers and CPAs.  These professionals see many, many people on a daily basis and they get an inside look at their financial conditions.  For the most part they agree that people are becoming dumber and less financially responsible.  I used to kid about the soviets blasting certain people with a "stupid ray" every night, but the soviets are gone, people just keep getting worse, and it's not just funny anymore.

You would not believe the number of people who:

a.  Drive with no insurance.  If you can afford it, make sure you look into uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage so if someone with no insurance hits you, there is some coverage if you are hurt and out of work.  I personally had two situations within a year where fathers of minor children were killed by idiots driving with no insurance and on suspended licenses.  Sure they will go to jail, but that is little comfort for the orphans they left behind.

b.  Pay no taxes.  I am not just talking about income taxes, but also business taxes like sales taxes and payroll taxes for the feds and the state.  Oh, and you think the IRS is tough?  They are a bunch of powder puffs compared to some of the state revenue collectors!

c.  Hire illegal aliens.  The feds are now coming after the employers on this one with fines and worse.

d.  Have no retirement resources.  I hear that most people retire with less then $200k to their name.  BTW, full service living care (not medicine or doctors) they say is costing $5k and up per month!  $200k doesn't last long at that rate.  Many adults are trying to care for their parents while working full time or more and it is crushing them financially, physically and mentally.

I fear for the generations after the baby boomers. 

Note: I also have the privilege of meeting some of the smartest, hardest working, dedicated young people I have ever heard of.  Some of these kids are straight "A" students, athletes, well spoken and top notch in every way -- much more than anyone I remember when I was growing up.  I have hope for these kids, and I just wish I could instill some of their motivation on the others.

Want some old school common sense financial planning?  Read "The Richest Man in Babylon." Give it to your children to read.  It is a timeless classic.

I would fall into the "trying to keep food on the table" category.

We raised two two kids, 18 and 20 years old. The 20 year old is in her second year of college.

At 42, I've got about 20 years left to work and try to put something away.

Being self-employed, and having an "ass-hat" in the White-House has hurt business bad.

My customers have been holding on to their money, thanks to econonomic uncertainty. I see the same happening nation-wide.

To say that obeying the "10 Commandments" is good advice, would be putting it very lightly.

Who needs more laws?

Edited by Sim_Player

To each their own. I am a believer. If you are not, that is your choice. I don't judge anyone who thinks differently, isn't my job and I have no time for it. Just negotiating the day to day bullshit we as "citizens of the United States of America" have to put up with is enough to fill my plate for now. It should be that way for all of us who can think for ourselves...

Neither do I. I have almost 1800 posts here and you might find one in politics or religion section and it probably got kicked there afterwards. I dont argue with people about their point of view....to each their own. But I am getting tired of being the scapegoat for everything found wrong. (I know its not me personally but that like saying all Christians are XYZ ....but I didnt mean you) Especially by that dipshit

Back to the topic. It isnt the liberals or the unbelievers or the "enablers" causing this. Its everyone!! To one extent or the other. The education system, the parents, this consumer driven buy buy buy obsession, the over medication of society. And we do it to ourselves (as a group)

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

Neither do I. I have almost 1800 posts here and you might find one in politics or religion section and it probably got kicked there afterwards. I dont argue with people about their point of view....to each their own. But I am getting tired of being the scapegoat for everything found wrong. (I know its not me personally but that like saying all Christians are XYZ ....but I didnt mean you) Especially by that dipshit

The constitution was intended to guarantee rights for every US citizen, not just those of a certain faith.  Not believing in a founding father's version of a deity is irrelevant, as they were strongly against religious persecution and never outlined a national religion for this very reason.  

Claiming that 'falling away from christ' is our country's main problem right now is fucking absurd.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 2

I would fall into the "trying to keep food on the table" category.

We raised two two kids, 18 and 20 years old. The 20 year old is in her second year of college.

At 42, I've got about 20 years left to work and try to put something away.

Being self-employed, and having an "ass-hat" in the White-House has hurt business bad.

My customers have been holding on to their money, thanks to econonomic uncertainty. I see the same happening nation-wide.

To say that obeying the "10 Commandments" is good advice, would be putting it very lightly.

Who needs more laws?

Don't worry about it, do what you can.  With the upcoming crash and burn, none but the already very wealthy will be able to afford retirement.  Look for another line of work to keep afloat when you "retire".  

I'm not saying to avoid savings, but better put that in hard assets, rather than bank money.

I think the blame should rest in those who allow their belief/disbelief in superstitions to alienate those who would otherwise be their allies.

How can we unite against a common enemy of a political front, if we have religion dividing us?

I've had this talk to my dad, and his personal "changed everything" moment that he points to was forced bussing. In the course of just a couple of years, his middle-class suburban Seattle neighborhood (Rainier Beach) literally emptied as families moved out of city limits to avoid bussing. The academic standards of these schools plummeted, and formerly middle-class neighborhoods slowly degenerated into section eight and low-cost rental housing. It was the beginning of "white flight."

By the time the last of his brothers moved out of the house, my grandma had to bar up all of her windows and doors, in what used to be a "leave your doors unlocked" neighborhood.

My dad is not a racist by any means, but he makes no bones about this being one of the first and most obviously bad public policy decisions put into place on a national scale. Something the people did not ask for, which had the complete opposite effect from what was intended. Though the policies vary in nature, it has been a repetitive process since then.

Edited by mancat

The constitution was intended to guarantee rights for every US citizen, not just those of a certain faith.  Not believing in a founding father's version of a deity is irrelevant, as they were strongly against religious persecution and never outlined a national religion for this very reason.  

Claiming that 'falling away from christ' is our country's main problem right now is fucking absurd.

We'll see.....time will tell, there are many who should pray this is correct  laugh.png   I was one of them for far too long.

There is a lot to be said for traditional Christian values. They shaped my childhood and contributed to the man I am today. I know right from wrong. I know there are higher ideals we should all strive to reach.

How many of today's parents even give a shit about what their kids believe? When Jr. plays Grand Theft Auto 5 all day long, where the new feature is you can actually RAPE your ho's in -game, should we be surprised when he has no respect for anyone or anything and acts out in the real world what he has been learning and practicing in the cyber world for years?

Give a kid something to believe in and aim for, hell give a MAN that, and you will be on the right path to a better society...