I've been wanting to get a bolt action .308 for a while now and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in the sub $700 range?  I wanted to buy a Winchester Model 70 but I can't justify spending the $1,200.  Accuracy is my #1 priority for this rifle but ruggedness and reliability are close second, what do you guys think?  Any advice is appreciated.  

Savage 

I've got a Model 10 Tactical in 308, topped w/a Burris Black Diamond 6-24. Sub-MOA w/ Federal 168GR match (5 shot groups)

...when I hold up my end. The rifle's more accurate than I am, most days.

Edited by patriot

Don't rule out the Stevens line of Savage.  I bought my oldest a Stevens 200 in .308 for his 18th birthday, and it's a tack driver.  No sights, tapped for scope mount, slate gray stock(options available, or have it hydro-dipped like I did), and I paid $299 OTD for it in 2008.  I was looking at one last week for $350 NIB.

No love for the Rem 700?

That's what I was about to say.  I've seen some .308 models with scope going new for about $500, and seeing as how the 700 is the platform that a lot of police snipers use, you could slowly upgrade it as your budget allows to get increasingly better accuracy or to suit you better.

Savage Model 10 even though I own a Rem. 700 SPS Tactical. The trigger is a little better on the Savage out of the box, but the new triggers on the SPS line are pretty good. My 700 was sub MOA out of the box with a 4x12 Nikon Prostaff riding atop. It shoots very well with 168 gr but prefers 175 SMKs or 178gr Amax. I recommend the Savage 10 over it because I do believe build quality is better on the Savage, but the 700 in most cases is going to be less expensive.

One question is what is the purpose for the purchase? Are you planning on hunting, bench shooting, both? That would also play into my decision. The Rem 700 SPS with the bull barrel is not what I would want to lug around the woods and sit in a tree stand with. IMHO it is just too heavy. It does make a great target rifle however.

Bought mine right before the crap went down in NY with Remington meeting with the politicians that passed the Safe Act and then deciding to stay in NY. I haven't bought anything Remington since, and would have bought the Savage for sure had my purchase been delayed for a couple of months. Just my 2 cents.

Ruger American rifle series is inexpensive and rock solid quality. Has an adjustable trigger between 3-5 pounds so you can set it to your liking, comes bedded and free floated for accuracy, and hammer forged barrel for sub $400. for less than your $700 price point you cold add a nice piece of glass on it and have a seriously nice rifle. 

Forgot to mention, the name "Ruger American" rifle is because the gun is 100% made and assembled in America. That alone says something about it, and it gets a lot of good reviews, especially the trigger and bedding. The review here http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/all-american-ruger-american-rifle-review/ shows a 30-06 capable of sub MOA, and good .308 ammo is more accurate than 30-06 for long range shots. 

Edited by menace667

+1 Savage .... the cheap end of their rifles is absolutely super-value for what you get. 

I bought one just to mess around with after my Howa 308 purchase... I definitely think it is one of the best if not the best options for low budget accurate bolt.

Edited by HappYBallZ

savage 10 308. i bought a remy 700 sps and sold it for the savage.  the remington in an alright gun but the quality seems to have taken a nose dive in the last 20 years (just my opinion) but all the savages i have owned have been very accurate rifles.

savage 10, bell and carlson medalits stock and a nikon 308 scope will do you well.

I snap shot and hit a deer behind the shoulder 1st shot @ almost exactly 600yds (later measured by rangefinder to confirm my guesstimate) with my 110 Tactical 308 from a hastily taken kneeling position. Witnessed by several others who were hunting with me. Open, hilly field, slight incline, not much wind. I was pretty pleased. Nice doe. ScoutJoe on this forum knows me and two of the witnesses.

VERY nice rifle. I was using Federal 168gr Gamekings.