Getting a slabside no dimples 7.62x39 any concerns?

I've worked a trade for a slabside 7.62x39 and was wondering if there are any particulars I should know about with it being a slabside. Other than possible mag wobble what should I know about it?

I know there are very subtle differences in the 223 models cause I have both of slab and dimple, but I know very little about the 7.62x39 version.

I too have had a 7.62 without dimples and had no more/no less mag wobble than my dimpled 7.62's. It's purely cosmetic in my opinion but as canoecanoe said it may be less appealing to other potential buyers should you choose to sell it. I wouldn't hesitate top buy another if the deal was right.

No dimples here, no problems either. Side to side and front to back, acceptably tight.

It's the lower rails that actually stabilize the mag, that's why if you build an ak the lower rails are oversized so you have to size them to the caliber magazine you are building it for.

I've wondered why then, do my dimples have scratches on them from magazine contact? 

I think dimples may just be added stabalization.

My factory mag and SGM are tight with no wobble. Dimples are nice but for this rifle not required.

THe dimples are probably mostly for looks at this point. If you look even with the saigas that have the dimples the magazines are actually supported by a rail above the dimple area and by the magazine well cutout below the dimple. I have no doubt that without the dimple I would notice little difference in magazine wobble.

it doesn't really matter either way.

the deletion of dimples started with late model RPK receivers, and RPKs are still produced this way to date. we can probably assume that pressing the dimples in the thicker 1.5mm receiver was either breaking tooling or warping/breaking RPK receivers. they deleted the dimples and substituted with a small reinforcement plate that had "ears" protruding into the magwell about the same depth as the dimples previously did.

same method is used on some Saiga and all VEPR models and Romanian WASR/AES series rifles. we can probably assume that it cost less/saved time to simply not press the dimples and weld in a small plate instead.

Edited by mancat